Win XP Pro & Exch 2K

Post by Keit » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:52:19

I've just added a couple of Win XP pro machines to my SBS
network, and they have developed a curious problem. When
a Win XP client tries to access the exchange server, the
event apparently times out and creates a dialog box
asking if the user wants to retry, open default folders
(desktop) or cancel. After an ave of 3 retrys, Outlook
connects with the server, downloads mail, and works fine.
However, the users are not amused at having to try to
access the server 2-4 times.

Additionally, The win XP clients can access other network
resources, shared folders etc. It doesnt happen with 9x
or 2k clients. All machines are up to date with Service
Packs--server, XP, 9x, 2K. It could be my imagination but
the XP machines SEEM to be running slower (network wise)
than the 2k machines

thanks 4 the help
Keith

Win XP Pro & Exch 2K

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:36:20

See reply in .clients - best to post once to all the relevant groups at the
same time, so everyone can follow the thread.

Quote:> I've just added a couple of Win XP pro machines to my SBS
> network, and they have developed a curious problem. When
> a Win XP client tries to access the exchange server, the
> event apparently times out and creates a dialog box
> asking if the user wants to retry, open default folders
> (desktop) or cancel. After an ave of 3 retrys, Outlook
> connects with the server, downloads mail, and works fine.
> However, the users are not amused at having to try to
> access the server 2-4 times.

> Additionally, The win XP clients can access other network
> resources, shared folders etc. It doesnt happen with 9x
> or 2k clients. All machines are up to date with Service
> Packs--server, XP, 9x, 2K. It could be my imagination but
> the XP machines SEEM to be running slower (network wise)
> than the 2k machines

> thanks 4 the help
> Keith

1. Outook 2K client on Win XP Pro machine Not seeing Exch 5.5

My client has Windows 2000 Server with Exchange 5.5.  PDC is Windows NT 4
sp6a.  Two Workstaions are Win XP Pro running Outlook 2000 client.   All are
currently patched.
The problem I'm having is when I try to configure Mail in control panel I
get an error
stating that it cannot valid user credentials.  If I try log off and logon
as Administrator it finds server and fines admin user. When I try doing this
as user i get the error.  I already made the network user a local admin and
added her user name to local security (to help troubleshoot problem).
This is happening to two users both are using winXP.  On their old WinNT 4
Wkst it works fine.. It must be XP pro.  I checked connectivity to the
server (pinging. etc).  Both wksts and server and see each other.  I found
some registry hacks on MS Tech Net but none worked.

It seems that  logged on as user i cannot resolve the Exchange server so i
tried IP address... still no luck.  Any ideas.

Thanks in Advance.
rob

2. Resources Auto-Accepting Appointments

3. Win XP Pro & Exchange 2K

4. Installing Exchange 2000 into a NT 4.0 domain

5. Win XP Pro & Exchange 2000

6. Store.exe cpu usage 100% caused by eTrust InoculateIt

7. Can't network Win 2000 Pro to Win XP Home System

8. Weird free/busy

9. Upgrade from NT 4.0, Exch 5.0 to Win 2K and Exch 2K

10. OWA exch 5.5 & win 2k

11. MMC Admin snap-ins won't run on XP Pro

12. remote server management on Win XP Pro

13. Outlook 2000 in XP Pro connect to Exchange 2K timeout