remote connection to wfw or win95 postoffices

remote connection to wfw or win95 postoffices

Post by Child & Family Service » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

We have a win95/wfw style post office setup at a remote location, 4 users.
We can not afford to add a new NT server / exchange server in that location
but want to have our new exchange server call the location and exchange the
mail with all mail boxes at that site. I read someplace, when considering
the purchase of this server that to do this I would have to 'set up a 486
or better DOS pc' at the remote location. I assumed that the software that
I would need would be easy to find, but it's not!

remote connection to wfw or win95 postoffices

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

The Win95/WFWG postoffice does not support any type of interchange with an
Exchange Server (or anything else, for that matter). It is designed for
client access only. You would need to upgrade the postoffice to a full
Microsoft Mail Server to be able to have it interact with the Exchange
Server. MS used to offer a specific package to do this. I think it was
called the Workgroup Postoffice Upgrade, or something similar. But I don't
know if it's still an option.
--
Sue Mosher
Slipstick Systems, Moscow

FAQs at Exchange Center --  http://www.slipstick.com/exchange

Quote:> We have a win95/wfw style post office setup at a remote location, 4
users.
> We can not afford to add a new NT server / exchange server in that
location
> but want to have our new exchange server call the location and exchange
the
> mail with all mail boxes at that site. I read someplace, when considering
> the purchase of this server that to do this I would have to 'set up a 486
> or better DOS pc' at the remote location. I assumed that the software
that
> I would need would be easy to find, but it's not!

remote connection to wfw or win95 postoffices

Post by Ray Sundstro » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

It may be simpler to consider setting up a RAS client at your remote site
and allow the users to dial in to the Exchange service site to retrieve
their email than attempt to upgrade the msmail workgroup postoffice to one
that can communicate with Exchange (which would probably require a RAS
connection anyway.)

Ray Sundstrom
MCSE

com>...

Quote:>We have a win95/wfw style post office setup at a remote location, 4
users.
>We can not afford to add a new NT server / exchange server in that
location
>but want to have our new exchange server call the location and exchange
the
>mail with all mail boxes at that site. I read someplace, when considering
>the purchase of this server that to do this I would have to 'set up a 486
>or better DOS pc' at the remote location. I assumed that the software
that
>I would need would be easy to find, but it's not!

1. Remote Setup wfw / win95 postoffice

I wonder if the MS software is MS-MAIL which runs under DOS. You would also
require another small PC to act as the gateway between MS-Mail and
Exchange. Our company looked ito this and ended up deciding that it was
cheaper to get two modems and use a dial up link into the exchange server.

Our remote sites are round the world and for 4-5 sites it is just not
practical to have a separate exchange server.

2. HELP: Sending email to multiple contacts in OWA (Exchange server 5.50)????

3. WIN95 and Exchange Client SP3 and Remote Connection

4. Orphaned Public Folder + NAV for MSE

5. WFW 3.11 and Win95 Windows Messaging

6. Move servers between Administrative Groups.

7. slow connection to exchange and no connection from Win95 pc's

8. Filtering not working in Exchange Server 2000 in SBS 2000

9. Can Exchange connect to Win95 Workgroup Postoffice??

10. Win95 Exchange PostOffice Problem

11. Win95 Exchange Postoffice Problem

12. Win95 Exchange PostOffice Problem