Setup does not complete if I try to join existing site.

Setup does not complete if I try to join existing site.

Post by Information System » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

PROBLEM:
Exchange Server setup does not complete if I try to join existing site.

ENVIRONMENT:
NT 4.0 Service Pack 2 (all servers)
Existing Exchange Server running 4.0 Service Pack 3
Server reporting error while joining Site "nmcnet"- setup is running from
version. 4.0
Network:  10BaseT running NetBEIU & TCP/IP

DETAIL PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Existing Exchange Server "1" is running fine.  It can see everybody on the
network, as can the server trying to join the site "NMC2".  During setup, I
select "Join Existing Site", and enter the Existing Server Name "1".  It
then prompts me by displaying the correct Existing Site Name, Service
Account ID, and prompts for the Service Account Password.  After correctly
entering the password setup continues until it tries to sync the directory
information.  At which point I receive the message:

"A connection could not be made to the remote directory service.  Possibly
due to a network failure.  Be sure that both the directory services are
running and that your network is available, and then try connecting again.

Microsoft Exchange Server Setup - ID No: c1030b11"

At this point the Information Store and MTA are not running, but the other
services are.  Of course the intra-site connector doesn't work.

PLEASE help me with this if you have ANY ideas.  I've tried everything I
can think of and am getting nowhere!!!  Thanks,

Eric Busse
Northern Marianas College
Saipan, CNMI