Exchange user policy

Post by nyugat » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I need to work out an exchange server user policy regarding to mailbox
sizes, and other limitations. I would like to know what you think as best
practices regarding to this and help me on the followings:
- What are the problems associated with having no Exchange server storage
policies?
- Worst case, how long will it take to restore a crashed Exchange server if
we have no storage limits?
- Are there any performance or accessability problems associated with having
no storage limits?
- What are the costs associated with having no storage limits?
- What are the options for restoring files in the future, in case people
need to restore some essential email that was removed as a result of the new
policy?
- What options do users have for storing old email on their desktop
computer? How does that affect their ability to access that data?
- Is there some way to automagically archive old mail to a .pst file,
instead of deleting it?

Thanks a bunch....

Nyugati

Exchange user policy

Post by Mark Arnol » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Just a few questions then !
1. You don't have actual problems with having no storage policies. You get
problems other ways.
2. Depends on how many users you've got, how much mail/stuff your users
keep, how fast your system is, how fast your tape.... you get the message.
3. See 2
4. Hardware costs, Exchange Admin costs, neither of which come cheap :-)
5. See FAQ. Ed Crowley Never Restore method, Backups, Even Bricks level (see
FAQ)
6. Users can have Personal Folders (PST). See FAQ for how much trouble PST's
can be.
7. Yes, It's called Outlook. However if you're worried about storage limits
why compund the problem and increase your total mail storage requirments.
Just because it's not on your mail server doesn't mean it isn't taking up
space.

Read the FAQ. Read this group. Every one of these questions is covered
regularily, ad passim, ad nausium.

--
Mark Arnold,MCSE

Quote:> I need to work out an exchange server user policy regarding to mailbox
> sizes, and other limitations. I would like to know what you think as best
> practices regarding to this and help me on the followings:
> 1- What are the problems associated with having no Exchange server storage
> policies?
> 2- Worst case, how long will it take to restore a crashed Exchange server
if
> we have no storage limits?
> 3- Are there any performance or accessability problems associated with
having
> no storage limits?
> 4- What are the costs associated with having no storage limits?
> 5- What are the options for restoring files in the future, in case people
> need to restore some essential email that was removed as a result of the
new
> policy?
> 6- What options do users have for storing old email on their desktop
> computer? How does that affect their ability to access that data?
> 7- Is there some way to automagically archive old mail to a .pst file,
> instead of deleting it?

> Thanks a bunch....

> Nyugati

1. Exchange user policy

[...]

2. Group appointment

3. Stopping Mail Relaying of our server

4. Exchange 5.5 sp4 Automate email of corp policy for New Users

5. Upgrading to two larger drives

6. Exchange server user policy

7. the disappearing emails...one..by...one...

8. Default Mailbox store policy vs Individual Mailbox Store Policy

9. Recipient policies based on group policy

10. Default Policy In Recipients Policy

11. Domain Security Policy / Domain Controller security Policy

12. Clearing Automatically Update email policies based on recipient policies in code