Internet Mail Sending Problem

Post by Mark Skile » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

After installing Exchange 5.5 I am unable to send internet mail from
Outlook. Mail returns with the following message:

"The recipient name is not recognized"

No problem sending mail, just receiving.

If I add the Internet Mail Service, installed and configured pointing to the
exchange server, all is well. But it will not work without that Service. Is
this really necessary?

Any suggestions?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MV » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>After installing Exchange 5.5 I am unable to send internet mail from
>Outlook. Mail returns with the following message:

>"The recipient name is not recognized"

>No problem sending mail, just receiving.

That's unusual. This is most often a problem with outgoing mail when
the IMS has an incorrect address space.

Can we see the NDR that's sent?

Quote:>If I add the Internet Mail Service, installed and configured pointing to the
>exchange server, all is well. But it will not work without that Service. Is
>this really necessary?

You're bypassing the Exchange server entirely and using only the SMTP
server when you do this. It's not necessary.

It also makes me think that your previous statement that the problem
happens when you receive mail is incorrect (or more likely, reversed).

If the NDR is issued by the MSExchangeMTA then it's definitely a
problem with the IMS address space.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Internet Mail Sending Problem

Post by Chris Schar » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

rumored to have said:

Quote:>It also makes me think that your previous statement that the problem
>happens when you receive mail is incorrect (or more likely, reversed).

Or that the x400 address has been removed from a custom recipient
perhaps?

Internet Mail Sending Problem

Post by Rich Matheisen [MV » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

>rumored to have said:

>>It also makes me think that your previous statement that the problem
>>happens when you receive mail is incorrect (or more likely, reversed).

>Or that the x400 address has been removed from a custom recipient
>perhaps?

That usually elicits another error message: "Unable to deliver the
message due to a recipient problem."

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Internet Mail Sending Problem

Post by Lightningro » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

his trouble sounds like mine..

(5.5 SP2),
but if I try to send myself mail the server never gets it. Could it be that

All I want is to have the system receive mail into the Exchange system that
way rule
can be processed on the server and not on the workstation.

postoffice "MAIL" or "netmail.home.com" and the timers to which it will
connect.

thanks..
Rod Denney

> >After installing Exchange 5.5 I am unable to send internet mail from
> >Outlook. Mail returns with the following message:

> >"The recipient name is not recognized"

> >No problem sending mail, just receiving.

> That's unusual. This is most often a problem with outgoing mail when
> the IMS has an incorrect address space.

> Can we see the NDR that's sent?

> >If I add the Internet Mail Service, installed and configured pointing to
the
> >exchange server, all is well. But it will not work without that Service.
Is
> >this really necessary?

> You're bypassing the Exchange server entirely and using only the SMTP
> server when you do this. It's not necessary.

> It also makes me think that your previous statement that the problem
> happens when you receive mail is incorrect (or more likely, reversed).

> If the NDR is issued by the MSExchangeMTA then it's definitely a
> problem with the IMS address space.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE, Exchange MVP

1. Internet Mail Sending Problem

After installing Exchange 5.5 I am unable to send internet mail from
Outlook. Mail returns with the following message:

"The recipient name is not recognized"

No problem sending mail, just receiving.

If I add the Internet Mail Service, installed and configured pointing to the
exchange server, all is well. But it will not work without that Service. Is
this really necessary?

Any suggestions?

2. How to disable login in network but allow OWA access

3. Rename Exchange Server 5.0, how?

4. Recover deleted mails...

5. Sending Internet mail with internet mail user ID not exchange ID through Outlook 2000 - A solution

6. Create Contact Distribution Lists in Outlook and eliminate the PAB

7. Exchange and Internet Mail (Outlook isn't sending internet mail)

8. Can't send internet mail through Internet Mail Service

9. Can send Internet E-mail through IMC, but cannot receive Internet E-mail

10. Problems sending Internet Mail with ASP using Exchange 5.5

11. Problem sending Internet Mail with ASP using Exchange5.5