Need Help and advice!!!!!

Post by Edward Kuhne » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Here are my problems:
PROXY 2.0 - all users have all access rights for now, everyone has all
privelages under the web proxy, and under the winsock proxy.  All users are
experiencing timeouts, but if they hit refresh on their browser the site
comes up instantly

DNS - the MX records suddenly disapeared from existance, even thought they
were still in the database.  I had to delete the DNS files completely and
rebiuld them.

I am wondering if either of these problems have something to do with the
general configuration of IP on this machine.  I do not know a whole lot
about how NT does it's internal IP routing.  Here is my IP configuration:

We have 2 routers on our physical network, 1 connects to the internet and
one to the WAN.  The WAN uses 172.19.x.x internal IP addressing.
I setup an NT server 4.0, SP3, DNS, IIS 3.0, Exchange 5.5 and Proxy 2.0,
WINS.
My ethernet card has the following settings:
172.19.29.17, subnet mask=255.255.255.0 and default gateway is the internet
router IP address.  I also bound an additional IP address which is a live
internet address to the card with a subnet mask of .224.
I had to set the default router to the internet router to get anything to
work, and the default IP address has to be the internal address or all NT
networking fails - WINS in particular goes haywire!

Some of this may also have to do with my masterbrowser problems.  My remote
office computers appear in the WINS database, but not in network
neighborhood.

I also tried to install ILS 2.0, but I get problems when the LDAP service
attempts to start, and there is no support at all for ILS 2.0.  We want to
use netmeeting within the office, and it seemed like I needed this ILS 2.0.

If anyone has any input on this configuration, please let me know!
I have not done many configurations like this before, so if anyone has any
suggestions please send them to me!!!
Everything is sort of working, but I have a feeling I have something messed
up somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edward Kuhner

Need Help and advice!!!!!

Post by Henry Hic » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You should not have any problems as long as all your systems are on the
network in between the two routers, 179.19.x.x and have the subnet mask of
255.255.255.0.  Course this assumes that you will not have more than 255
nodes on that segment.

However, I did not understand your statement about the additional IP
internet address and the subnet mask.  Which system is this on?  This can
change your network configuration.  Need more in this area.

>Here are my problems:
>PROXY 2.0 - all users have all access rights for now, everyone has all
>privelages under the web proxy, and under the winsock proxy.  All users are
>experiencing timeouts, but if they hit refresh on their browser the site
>comes up instantly

>DNS - the MX records suddenly disapeared from existance, even thought they
>were still in the database.  I had to delete the DNS files completely and
>rebiuld them.

>I am wondering if either of these problems have something to do with the
>general configuration of IP on this machine.  I do not know a whole lot
>about how NT does it's internal IP routing.  Here is my IP configuration:

>We have 2 routers on our physical network, 1 connects to the internet and
>one to the WAN.  The WAN uses 172.19.x.x internal IP addressing.
>I setup an NT server 4.0, SP3, DNS, IIS 3.0, Exchange 5.5 and Proxy 2.0,
>WINS.
>My ethernet card has the following settings:
>172.19.29.17, subnet mask=255.255.255.0 and default gateway is the internet
>router IP address.  I also bound an additional IP address which is a live
>internet address to the card with a subnet mask of .224.
>I had to set the default router to the internet router to get anything to
>work, and the default IP address has to be the internal address or all NT
>networking fails - WINS in particular goes haywire!

>Some of this may also have to do with my masterbrowser problems.  My remote
>office computers appear in the WINS database, but not in network
>neighborhood.

>I also tried to install ILS 2.0, but I get problems when the LDAP service
>attempts to start, and there is no support at all for ILS 2.0.  We want to
>use netmeeting within the office, and it seemed like I needed this ILS 2.0.

>If anyone has any input on this configuration, please let me know!
>I have not done many configurations like this before, so if anyone has any
>suggestions please send them to me!!!
>Everything is sort of working, but I have a feeling I have something messed
>up somewhere.

>Thanks in advance for any advice!

>Edward Kuhner

Need Help and advice!!!!!

Post by Edward Kuhne » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Ok, let me explain another way:
TCP/IP Properties:
IP Address Page:
 IP Address = 172.19.29.17
 Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
 Default Gateway = Internet Router IP Address, NOT 172.19.29.1 which is the
WAN router IP address
 Then, hit the advanced button:
 IP Address, add IP LIVE ADDRESS since this machine needs live access to the
internet
 Gateways, add 172,19.29.1 which is the WAN router ip address

This is the only way that this setup will work.
If I have the default gateway = 172.19.29.1 then the internet connectivity
does not work
If I have the default IP addresses set to the live internet addresses then
WINS crashes and cannot communicate to the rest of the WAN on the 172.19.x.x
addresses

I do not understand if there is a way to tell NT that all 172.19.x.x traffic
gets sent to 172.19.29.1 and all other traffic goes to my internet router.

Does this explain it a little better?

>You should not have any problems as long as all your systems are on the
>network in between the two routers, 179.19.x.x and have the subnet mask of
>255.255.255.0.  Course this assumes that you will not have more than 255
>nodes on that segment.

>However, I did not understand your statement about the additional IP
>internet address and the subnet mask.  Which system is this on?  This can
>change your network configuration.  Need more in this area.

>>Here are my problems:
>>PROXY 2.0 - all users have all access rights for now, everyone has all
>>privelages under the web proxy, and under the winsock proxy.  All users
are
>>experiencing timeouts, but if they hit refresh on their browser the site
>>comes up instantly

>>DNS - the MX records suddenly disapeared from existance, even thought they
>>were still in the database.  I had to delete the DNS files completely and
>>rebiuld them.

>>I am wondering if either of these problems have something to do with the
>>general configuration of IP on this machine.  I do not know a whole lot
>>about how NT does it's internal IP routing.  Here is my IP configuration:

>>We have 2 routers on our physical network, 1 connects to the internet and
>>one to the WAN.  The WAN uses 172.19.x.x internal IP addressing.
>>I setup an NT server 4.0, SP3, DNS, IIS 3.0, Exchange 5.5 and Proxy 2.0,
>>WINS.
>>My ethernet card has the following settings:
>>172.19.29.17, subnet mask=255.255.255.0 and default gateway is the
internet
>>router IP address.  I also bound an additional IP address which is a live
>>internet address to the card with a subnet mask of .224.
>>I had to set the default router to the internet router to get anything to
>>work, and the default IP address has to be the internal address or all NT
>>networking fails - WINS in particular goes haywire!

>>Some of this may also have to do with my masterbrowser problems.  My
remote
>>office computers appear in the WINS database, but not in network
>>neighborhood.

>>I also tried to install ILS 2.0, but I get problems when the LDAP service
>>attempts to start, and there is no support at all for ILS 2.0.  We want to
>>use netmeeting within the office, and it seemed like I needed this ILS
2.0.

>>If anyone has any input on this configuration, please let me know!
>>I have not done many configurations like this before, so if anyone has any
>>suggestions please send them to me!!!
>>Everything is sort of working, but I have a feeling I have something
messed
>>up somewhere.

>>Thanks in advance for any advice!

>>Edward Kuhner

Need Help and advice!!!!!

Post by Jeff Wiere » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Why aren't you using 2 network cards?  You should not be multihoming one
network card by usinn multiple bindings!

You need to have 2 network cards in the proxy or 2 interfaces on the router.
Perferably you would have 2 interfaces on the router (to make sure users can
not cirvcument the proxy).

What it looks like you are doing now is multihoming the server by giving it
an internal address and an external address on the same interface.  The
default gateway makes sense of course because it needs to have a direct
route out to the internet which has to be the address of the router.

With using 2 nic's you can bind WINS internally to the one network card and
disable it on the external interface.  This way the proxy can participate in
WINS internally as well as having an interface with a correct default
gateway.

In this model you do not have to wory about routing because the proxy
handles the transfer of packets between the interfaces (the idea of using a
proxy)

Mail me if you are confused with this explanation.  It's seems obvious to me
why you are having this trouble

--
Jeff Wierer MCSE

Download Services FAQ v.96 at http://proxyhelp.wierer.net

> [...]

>>>work, and the default IP address has to be the internal address or all NT
>>>networking fails - WINS in particular goes haywire!

>>>Some of this may also have to do with my masterbrowser problems.  My
>remote
>>>office computers appear in the WINS database, but not in network
>>>neighborhood.

>>>I also tried to install ILS 2.0, but I get problems when the LDAP service
>>>attempts to start, and there is no support at all for ILS 2.0.  We want
>>>use netmeeting within the office, and it seemed like I needed this ILS
>2.0.

>>>If anyone has any input on this configuration, please let me know!
>>>I have not done many configurations like this before, so if anyone has
any
>>>suggestions please send them to me!!!
>>>Everything is sort of working, but I have a feeling I have something

1. Need Help and advice!!!!!

[...]

2. IS stops at 1:00am

3. Moving users

4. Pocket pc 2002 pop3 client

5. Help needed: Getting Link errors with DAPI in VC++

6. HELP --need Recovery Advice

7. easily reproducable EXCHANGE 5.5 BUG - need help, advice, assistance...,

8. Need Career Advice Please help

9. HELP - Need Advice Quick by Tomorrow AM - Boss messed up server

10. Help - Need Advice before tomorrow AM - Boss messed up server