Sendmail Doesn't, the Sequel

Post by Mark Salomo » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The so-called "sendmail.exe" is equivalent to the  unix "mail" program.
The unix "sendmail " has more functionality than MS exchange (as far as mail
is concerned)

>I have a project to port scripts from unix into NT4.  They used sendmail
>to automatically copy posted items to specific people.  In trying to
>replicate the code with Perl for Win32 in my NT environment, I'm trying to
>load Microsoft Exchange's sendmail.exe utility (from the Backoffice
>Resource Kit disk).

>It seems to have loaded ok, but when I try to run it, I get this:
>Error:  MAPI Logon Failed:  3

>I am using the -u and -p switches on the command line, but to no avail.  I
>assume that the userid and password should be exactly the same as the
>Exchange account's.  Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

>I noticed that you have to enclose all switch values in quotes, unlike the
>example given in the Exchange Server Resource Guide.  Is this right?

>***
>More info:
>Windows NT Server 4.0 w/ SP3
>Perl for Win32, version 5.003 from Activestate.com
>Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5

>Also, I've tried to follow the suggestion given at:
>Microsoft Support:  XGEN: Using the SENDMAIL.EXE Utility with the AT
>Scheduler
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q151/6/70.asp

>I just do NOT understand the steps(!):
>8.  ...run the Mail and Fax tool.  (I have none)
>9.  Create a profile... what kind of profile?  User? Mail?
>10.  I don't understand what the hell they are trying to say.

>Hope someone out there can clarify this.  Thanks, in advance.  Please copy

>Aloha,
>Neal

Sendmail Doesn't, the Sequel

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>The so-called "sendmail.exe" is equivalent to the  unix "mail" program.
>The unix "sendmail " has more functionality than MS exchange (as far as mail
>is concerned)

You mean "as far as SMTP is concerned." There's a lot more to
messaging than just SMTP, though.

Sendmail Doesn't, the Sequel

Post by Scott Phillip » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The Microsoft sendmail.exe program was updated and is now called
mapisend.exe.  (The fact that they called it "sendmail" was pretty offensive
to the UNIX guys who run the real sendmail and, besides that, lots of people
were getting confused.  Hence, the name change.)

Quote:>I am using the -u and -p switches on the command line, but to no avail.  I
>assume that the userid and password should be exactly the same as the
>Exchange account's.  Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
>I just do NOT understand the steps(!):
>8.  ...run the Mail and Fax tool.  (I have none)
>9.  Create a profile... what kind of profile?  User? Mail?

This is your problem.  You have to set up a profile on the machine where you
run mapisend.  This means you log in and configure the local client
(Outlook, etc.) just like you do on a user workstation.  The profile that
you create when you do this is the parameter that you have to pass to
mapisend.

Quote:>I noticed that you have to enclose all switch values in quotes, unlike the
>example given in the Exchange Server Resource Guide.  Is this right?

Yes, that's right.  For example:

mapisend -u "MS Exchange Settings" -p password -r "Joe User's Display
ame"  -s "Subject" -t messagebody.txt

(I assume that line will get wrapped.  It should all be one command.)  Just
run mapisend without any parameters to see the other options that are
available (cc: recipients, attachments, etc.)

1. Sendmail Doesn't, the Sequel

The SENDMAIL tool from exchange is not the same as the UNIX SENDMAIL.

-u is not a user name is a MAPI Profile which determines which MAPI services
SENDMAIL uses to send the mail.

On NT or WIN95 in the control panel you should have a MAIL or "MAIL and FAX"
icon to set these up.

If you are sending to UNIX SENDMAIL program (or even Exchange Server 5,X)
you might be better getting a tool that sends mail via SMTP rather than
MAPI. Try looking for BLAT on the web at
http://acm41-4.net.ttu.edu/webware$.

2. Font settings assistance

3. Auto Reply Rule

4. xp config problem???

5. user's mail doesn't get in exchange's outbox

6. Personalised 'Undiliverable' message??

7. Exchange IM contact's status doesn't update solution

8. OL '98 doesn't have signature option

9. Reinstalled Exchange, loaded old IS/DS, MTA won't start, Microsoft help doesn't

10. Open Add'l Mailboxes Doesn't

11. Outlook Scheduled busy time, doesn't show on other's calendar