Directory backup using NTBackup

Post by Jame » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Is it correct that when using NTBackup to backup Exchange Server 5.5 (SP3)
it only takes 10 seconds to do the Exchange Directory?  Due to the quickness
of completing, I'm worried it is not backing up fully.  The Information
Store takes longer and backs up over 1GB, which is about the size of the
databases.
Thanks for any ideas
James

Directory backup using NTBackup

Post by Glen Morangi » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Erm - how big is the Exchange Directory and its contents ?

And what speed is your tape drive ?

Just to be completely sure, do you have a cold restore server where you
could test your backups ?
(how do you test them normally ?)

Best regards,

John.

Quote:> Is it correct that when using NTBackup to backup Exchange Server 5.5 (SP3)
> it only takes 10 seconds to do the Exchange Directory?  Due to the
quickness
> of completing, I'm worried it is not backing up fully.  The Information
> Store takes longer and backs up over 1GB, which is about the size of the
> databases.
> Thanks for any ideas
> James

Directory backup using NTBackup

Post by Jame » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Priv.edb is 1.11GB and Pub.edb is 690MB, the speed of the tape drive is
4.7MB/sec (substained and compressed).  It takes 15 minutes to backup the
Information Store, the directory takes 10 seconds and appears to backup
8,405,244 bytes.
Unfortunately I can't test the restore, as we do not have a machine with a
suitable tape drive.
(Yes, I know we really should invest in one!)
Thanks

> Erm - how big is the Exchange Directory and its contents ?

> And what speed is your tape drive ?

> Just to be completely sure, do you have a cold restore server where you
> could test your backups ?
> (how do you test them normally ?)

> Best regards,

> John.

> > Is it correct that when using NTBackup to backup Exchange Server 5.5
(SP3)
> > it only takes 10 seconds to do the Exchange Directory?  Due to the
> quickness
> > of completing, I'm worried it is not backing up fully.  The Information
> > Store takes longer and backs up over 1GB, which is about the size of the
> > databases.
> > Thanks for any ideas
> > James

Directory backup using NTBackup

Post by Glen Morangi » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Just to throw a spanner in the works, my Exchange Server here has *two*
Exchange Directories, on different partitions.

One contains the binaries and DS logs and at the speed of your tape drive
could easily be backed up in 10 seconds.

The other contains the Information Store databases and takes several hours.

Does your backup software record what it is doing to logfiles somewhere ?

Otherwise if it is still unclear that it is backing up properly, you are
going to have to find some way of testing it by doing a restore.

Best regards,

John.

> Priv.edb is 1.11GB and Pub.edb is 690MB, the speed of the tape drive is
> 4.7MB/sec (substained and compressed).  It takes 15 minutes to backup the
> Information Store, the directory takes 10 seconds and appears to backup
> 8,405,244 bytes.
> Unfortunately I can't test the restore, as we do not have a machine with a
> suitable tape drive.
> (Yes, I know we really should invest in one!)
> Thanks

> > Erm - how big is the Exchange Directory and its contents ?

> > And what speed is your tape drive ?

> > Just to be completely sure, do you have a cold restore server where you
> > could test your backups ?
> > (how do you test them normally ?)

> > Best regards,

> > John.

> > > Is it correct that when using NTBackup to backup Exchange Server 5.5
> (SP3)
> > > it only takes 10 seconds to do the Exchange Directory?  Due to the
> > quickness
> > > of completing, I'm worried it is not backing up fully.  The
Information
> > > Store takes longer and backs up over 1GB, which is about the size of
the
> > > databases.
> > > Thanks for any ideas
> > > James

1. Using ntbackup to backup exchange

Our Backup drive is on our main NT4 Server, I would like to backup the data
from our exchange server <server2> also running NT4. (exchange 5.5)
When I run ntbackup manually (on our main server) I can add the eschange
server to be backed up. How to I automate this? the command line reference
only makes reference to Directories, should I just add the exchange server
directories to the backup batch file? If so Which directories should I add?

Thank you
Tony

2. My boss want to see all mails in our Exchange Server.How to?

3. Exchange Backup using NTbackup

4. eseutil reports 'inconsistent"

5. Backup Exchange using ntbackup

6. how to create a Rule programmatically?

7. Backup and Restore using NTBackup

8. Public Folders via WebDAV hang Frontend

9. Exchange 5.5 backup using NTbackup

10. File backups of Exchange using NTbackup

11. File based backups using NTbackup

12. exch 2000 - unable to backup MBX files using NTBACKUP shipped with exchange 2000

13. Verifying Backups using NTBackup?