Unable to send SMTP mail using Outlook 97->Exchange 5.5 in remote mail mode

Unable to send SMTP mail using Outlook 97->Exchange 5.5 in remote mail mode

Post by (Mike Lai » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am having problems sending out emails to Internet addresses when I have configured my Outlook client to work in remote
mode (i.e delivery to .pst). There are no problems sending to other Exchange addresses. As soon as I connect and try to
send outgoing  mail to the Internet, a message from the system administrator appears "No Transport Provider Was
Available for Delivery to This Recipient". I have read the Technet article on possible causes but none fit in with my
situation:

the pst is not damaged
the profile has a transport
i am not using compuserve or msn
etc....

Unable to send SMTP mail using Outlook 97->Exchange 5.5 in remote mail mode

Post by Chris Scharf » Thu, 02 Dec 1999 04:00:00

(Mike Lai) is rumored to have said:

Quote:>I am having problems sending out emails to Internet addresses when I have configured my Outlook client to work in remote
>mode (i.e delivery to .pst). There are no problems sending to other Exchange addresses. As soon as I connect and try to
>send outgoing  mail to the Internet, a message from the system administrator appears "No Transport Provider Was
>Available for Delivery to This Recipient". I have read the Technet article on possible causes but none fit in with my
>situation:

>the pst is not damaged
>the profile has a transport
>i am not using compuserve or msn
>etc....

Interesting... one of my coworkers reported the same issue.

Is Q182087 of any help? If you're using remote mail, instead of an OST
file, I think you'll find it's inherently less reliable, but YMMV.
Give your coworker a call in the morning if you have time to see if
he's come up with any better answers. <g>

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator

Be sure to read the Exchange FAQ:

1. Outlook 97 -> Exchange Server remote mail

I am having an unusual problem with Exchange Server and Remote Mail in
Outlook 97.  I use our office's dial-up networking to connect with Exchange
Server to get my e-mail.  When I select Tools > Check for New Mail, Outlook
dials, connects, then an 'Enter Password' dialog box pops up, asking for my
username, domain, and password.  The Username and Domain have the correct
information, but the password needs to be entered.  However, this dialog
box is locked up for several minutes and will not let me enter the password
or click OK or Cancel.  Is there any way to avoid this (and have Windows 95
REMEMBER my password?)

If I select Network Properties > Client for Microsoft Networks > Properties
and click 'Log on to Windows NT domain', it will not ask for a password in
Outlook, however, it will ask for a password when I start the computer, and
sometimes when I log on to the Internet.

Either way, it's very annoying!  Can anyone help???

Chris Davis

**remove the 'x' from my address to respond**

2. Outside serves don't see ours

3. Remote mail, Outlook 97 and Exchange server 5.5 no connection

4. Meeting Request/Planner Problem

5. outlook 2k -> send mail using exchange

6. Printig personal adress book (exchange 4.0 client)

7. Outlook 97 >> Outlook 2000

8. Event scripting on XC 5.5

9. Unable to change Exchange passwords using Outlook 97

10. Unable to change Exchange password using Outlook 97

11. Outlook 97 / Remote mail problem

12. Unable to Send Mail From Outlook Express and Exchange 5.5 SP3

13. Can Outlook 97 leave mail on Exchange 5.5 server