admin account shows full rights but still can't access mailboxes

admin account shows full rights but still can't access mailboxes

Post by --HeHeHeHe- » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 07:28:07

I've been trying to assign myself full rights to each mailbox on our
exchange 2000 server.  We have to many accounts to go one by one and assign
myself full rights so I decided to use the Delegaton Wizard and delegate at
the organization level.  After the delegation completes and AD catches up
under the Exchange Advanced tab in ADUC it shows that my account now has
full rights to all mailboxes.  Great...only it doesn't work.  Through
outlook I cannot open any mailboxes but my own.  If I go to each mailbox and
assign myself full rights then I can get in the mailbox.  I've checked
security everywhere I can possibly think of...I've tried only assigning
permissions at the exchange store, I've added myself into the Exchange
Domain Servers and that doesn't work.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Mike

admin account shows full rights but still can't access mailboxes

Post by mpalerm » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:45:41

By design in Exchange 2000 the E2K admin does NOT have
access to anyone's mailbox unless you either assign
yourself to each mailbox or on the properties of the
mailbox store --> security tab --> assign your account
explicit "send as" and "receive as" rights.

Hope this helps,
mpalermi

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I've been trying to assign myself full rights to each
mailbox on our
>exchange 2000 server.  We have to many accounts to go

one by one and assign
Quote:>myself full rights so I decided to use the Delegaton

Wizard and delegate at
Quote:>the organization level.  After the delegation completes
and AD catches up
>under the Exchange Advanced tab in ADUC it shows that my
account now has
>full rights to all mailboxes.  Great...only it doesn't
work.  Through
>outlook I cannot open any mailboxes but my own.  If I go
to each mailbox and
>assign myself full rights then I can get in the

mailbox.  I've checked
Quote:>security everywhere I can possibly think of...I've tried
only assigning
>permissions at the exchange store, I've added myself
into the Exchange
>Domain Servers and that doesn't work.  Has anyone else
had this problem?

>Thanks,
>Mike

>.

admin account shows full rights but still can't access mailboxes

Post by Mike » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:01:48

Rights are being inherited on my account from the organization level.   At
every level I check it shows that my account has full rights.  It just
doesn't make sense.  I tried assigning rights just at the mailbox store but
that had no effect.

Mike

Quote:> By design in Exchange 2000 the E2K admin does NOT have
> access to anyone's mailbox unless you either assign
> yourself to each mailbox or on the properties of the
> mailbox store --> security tab --> assign your account
> explicit "send as" and "receive as" rights.

> Hope this helps,
> mpalermi

Post by Lisa Parri » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:42:44

See KB Article Q262054

If you are a Domain or Enterprise Administrator, you are explicitly denied
permission.

> Rights are being inherited on my account from the organization level.   At
> every level I check it shows that my account has full rights.  It just
> doesn't make sense.  I tried assigning rights just at the mailbox store
but
> that had no effect.

> Mike

> > By design in Exchange 2000 the E2K admin does NOT have
> > access to anyone's mailbox unless you either assign
> > yourself to each mailbox or on the properties of the
> > mailbox store --> security tab --> assign your account
> > explicit "send as" and "receive as" rights.

> > Hope this helps,
> > mpalermi

1. Full Mailbox but it's not showing full

When i go in the information store and check a user mail box it says 20
megs and over 1700 items. But when i got to the users account it says
like 200 kb. i also checked the folder size on each and every folder
the user has. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
A new exchange admin.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Existing NT 4.0 domain, want to add Exchange 2K server

3. Adding "Full Mailbox Access" right

4. Can't send mail from Outlook

5. Full Mailbox Access rights propigate from?

6. Can all E0000*.log be deleted??

7. Adding "Full Mailbox Access" right

8. Cannot send on mail externally

9. Can't access OWA w/o admin rights

10. Admin's Mailbox Full

11. service account can't make mailbox - deleted admin mailbox

12. Domain Admin Rights vs. Local Admin Rights