Master Browser msg in event log ??

Post by John Savidg » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Occasionally I keep getting this msg in my event log, can someone explain
what it means and how do I stop it occuring.

"The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
SUBTUB that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
transport NetBT_HPTX1. The master browser is stopping or an election is
being forced."

Thanks in advance.

John

Master Browser msg in event log ??

Post by David Brickne » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

There can be more than one reason for this. Do a search on the Microsoft KB
to find the one that applies most to you. Do the search on the actual event
ID (which you should always give in a newsgroup posting if you want better
help) against all products.

also, this is an NT networking issue, not an Exchange. Better to post to one
of the NT groups.

Quote:> Hi,

> Occasionally I keep getting this msg in my event log, can someone explain
> what it means and how do I stop it occuring.

> "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> SUBTUB that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
> transport NetBT_HPTX1. The master browser is stopping or an election is
> being forced."

> Thanks in advance.

> John

Master Browser msg in event log ??

Post by Becke » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> Occasionally I keep getting this msg in my event log, can someone
explain
> what it means and how do I stop it occuring.

> "The master browser has received a server announcement from the
computer
> SUBTUB that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on
> transport NetBT_HPTX1. The master browser is stopping or an election
is
> being forced."

> Thanks in advance.

> John

This question should actually go to the Windows NT newsgroup, but I'll
take a stab at it anyway.

This is usually a normal occurance, but if it happens too often may
indicate a mismatched configuration between server NIC and Ethernet
switch settings (see KB article Q224131). Browse masters and backups
are elected based on the version of the operating system. Whenever you
reboot a Windows "server" on the segment, you'll get an election.
Usually nothing changes. Long running servers such as BDCs and file
servers almost always act in the role of browser. The PDC is always the
domain master browser and the master of its own segment. Backup
browsers do the actual work of serving up the Network Neighborhood to
clients though, after receiving their browse lists and changes from the
segment master.

You can reduce this browser election traffic by editing the registries
on the systems you know will never win an election (such as NT
Workstations) or systems that you reboot often (such as member servers
acting as applications servers). Open the registry editor an navigate
to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

Create a new value called ISDomainMaster defined as REG_SZ and value
data set to "FALSE" then reboot.

Check Knowledgebase articles Q224131, Q102878, Q246489, Q188305 at
microsoft.com/technet for more information.

--
E-mail address is filtered, so please do not expect replies to mail

PS:  If you arrive at a solution, please share it with The Group !!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Event ID 9405 Msg logged in event Viewer App Log

Can anyone please help me with this:
I have an Exchange 5.5/Sp5 server running on Windows NT 4/sp5

Recently, the following events have been logged on our Exchange 5.5/Sp5
server's Event Viewer:

Event ID: 9405
Source: MSExchangeMTA
Type: Error
Category: Field Engineering

An unexpected error has occurred which may cause the MTA to terminate.
Error: Double acquire of semaphore 2685
. [BASE XFER-IN 14] (16)

The MTA does not stop and we haven't experienced any other problems with our
email server (As far as I am aware).

I have searched Technet to no avail. Anyone have any ideas what is causing
this message?

Many thanks in advance

Kevin C

2. Results of Diagnostics Logging

3. Master Browser ie MrxSmb Event ID:8005

4. if upgrd to XP Pro, affect to Exchange 2000?

5. The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master

6. Attachments

7. Weird SECURITY concern in Exchange 5.5

8. Application event logged does not have master SID.

9. event log actual msg

10. Event Log error msg

11. Master Browser Error