Dat files in MTAdata directory

Post by Darryl Burnett » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have over 600 dat files in my MTAdata directory.

Is it better to leave them or clean them up ?

Would I use the MTAcheck to do this

Thanks

Darryl Burnette

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>I have over 600 dat files in my MTAdata directory.

>Is it better to leave them or clean them up ?

>Would I use the MTAcheck to do this

Was the MTA running when you determined that there were this many
files in the MTADATA directory? The MTA creates files and doesn't
delete them -- it reuses them. So if you look in the directory whil
it's running you see far more files than you might expect.

Stop the MTA and have a look. About 200 files would be about right.

Running "MTACHECK /V /F <file>" might remove some files, but only if
there were problems.

Are there any messages in any of the MTA queues that might indicate a
problem?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Dat files in MTAdata directory

Post by Darryl Burnett » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

When I stopped my MTA the dat files dropped down to 118

So if I stop my MTA it will delete any empty dat files ?

So the amount of dat files I saw (600 +) while the MTA is running is
perfectly normal
probably reflection on how long the MTA has been running

Also I do have some files (90+ currently) stuck in a que going to an offline
site

Thanks for the Info

Darryl Burnette

PS,  By the way what is a good utility/way to monitor the growth on the Priv
database
        Mine went from 4.9 gb to around 8 gb in two days. Is this normal ?

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>When I stopped my MTA the dat files dropped down to 118

>So if I stop my MTA it will delete any empty dat files ?

Yes, but there's no reason to stop the MTA. The file sizes are
actually very small (either 1 byte or 0 bytes). The Explorer doesn't
see that size though because the files are still opened by the MTA and
the sizes and other attributes aren't updated until the file is
closed.

Quote:>So the amount of dat files I saw (600 +) while the MTA is running is
>perfectly normal
>probably reflection on how long the MTA has been running

It's normal and reflects a sort of "high-water mark" in the MTADATA
directory.

Quote:>Also I do have some files (90+ currently) stuck in a que going to an offline
>site

Stuck? Or just waiting for delivery?

Quote:>PS,  By the way what is a good utility/way to monitor the growth on the Priv
>database
>        Mine went from 4.9 gb to around 8 gb in two days. Is this normal ?

It's normal if you received that much mail! OTOH it may represent a
mail loop where there are two autoresponders engaged in a contest to
see how long it takes to fill your disk!

Monitoring the free space on the drive containing the database is the
best way to keep an eye on things. PerfMon can be set up to send an
alert when a particular counter passes a certain threshold.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> <snip>
> mail loop where there are two autoresponders engaged in a contest to
> see how long it takes to fill your disk!

Rich, you have to write books. ;-)

Quote:

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.