Changing Organisation and Site name

Post by Srdjan Stojanovi » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

We're faced with the problem of having to change the organisation and sites
names on 12 exchange servers. to make things worse we have to do it on a
weekend so normal mail services don't get disrupted.

We've analysed the situation and before starting of to create the tools to
do the job, we'd like to share our thoughts with the rest of the exchange
world, just in case we're making a big mistake somewhere.

OK, first of all: I believe we are correct in assuming that there no way to
use backups of the stores and the directory. There is no way in restoring
to a another organisation/site combination. Or is there a mean kludge that
could help?

Our suggested solution:

STORES Private & public

Luckily there's nothing in the public store that's worth saving. Ticked
off.

Private stores: The idea is to have a MS Test script that creates a profile
for a specific mailbox, adds personal folders to the list of services,
opens the mailbox and copies all mailbox contents to the provate store.
This procedure is repeated for all mailboxes. After installing the
procedure is "reversed", the mailbox is opened and the contents of the
private store copied back into the private store.

Directory: A simple export of the directory will do. The mailboxes, DL's
and custom recipients can be reimported after modifiying the *.csv files a
little.

What's missing are the connectors and their configuration. As far as I'm
aware there's only a tool to save and restore the IMC's configuration. For
the rest of the stuff: put it down on paper and retype it when the system
is reinstalled. Same goes for the empty but existend PF hierarchy.

Schedule+
Is stored in a special folder, says a TechNet article. Anyone know how to
access it directly without having to do some serious programming? I'll
assume the answer is no. Then the solution would be to have the same MS
TEST script mentioned above open up the schedule files and synchronise.
Free Busy info will get rebuilt when the users schedule+ data gets
restored.

INBOX ASSISTANT RULES
This is where I have no answer at the moment. Anybody have any good ideas
how to preserve these?

So, if anybody has taken the time to read this long story then i'm really
gratefull. If anybody cares to comment, well that would really be teriffic
..

TIA

===================================
Srdjan Stojanovic
IT Consultant, MSCE
NCR Austria, Professional Services
Storchengasse 1, 1150 Vienna, Austria
Tel: ++431 89111 5204
Fax: ++431 89111 5223

===================================

1. Changing Organisation and Site name

[...]

2. Help on configuring a "exigent" client

3. Site connectors when Organisation name is different/changing org name

4. imsext.dll problems

5. change organisation name

6. Routed????

7. Changing Organisation name.

8. Exchange 5.5 Service Pack

9. Exch 5.5>2000 Organisation/site name incompatibility

10. Is it possible to change Organisation name

11. Exchange 5.5 Organisation name change

12. Changing Organisation name, half-way there

13. Changing organisation name in Exch 5.5