site design question w/bridgehead?

Post by stop » Mon, 26 Jul 1999 04:00:00

hi
i am trying to figure out the best way to design a new exchange mail
server system.  i have two offices (A and B) with about 250 users each
and a Data center (call it office C) with no users.  Our internet
connection comes from the data center from which both office A & B
have 100mb links.  A & B also have T1's between them.

  i would like to set up one exchange server at each office (A and B)
and some sort of a bridgehead server at the data center.  my goal is,
if either office A or office B goes down, they will not lose incomming
mail, it will be queued at the birghehead server until that office
comes back up.

The exchange server in C would be where all mail to company.com would
go, then it would route it to A.company.com or B.company.com,
depending where the user is, so all emplyees would have

   A -----  B
   |            |
    \        /
      \   /

my question is, how should i set up sites in this senerio.  i was
thinking office A & B in one site (using RPC) and C be its own site,
acting as a bridgehead between both A & B (using wither RPC or X.400)

any ideas?  i can draw you a (better) picture if that would help.

any help would be appreciated,

thanks
--
stoph

site design question w/bridgehead?

Post by Stuart Fo » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

If you connect  C with A using a X400/Site Connector, and A goes down, and A
& B are in the same site, messages will not get to B.  You would be better
to separate A & B into two sites, each with their own connector.  Because
you have fast connections, a Site Connector will be fine.

Your system will then look like

     /  \
   /     \
A       B

A will communicate with B via C.

Stu

> hi
> i am trying to figure out the best way to design a new exchange mail
> server system.  i have two offices (A and B) with about 250 users each
> and a Data center (call it office C) with no users.  Our internet
> connection comes from the data center from which both office A & B
> have 10mb links.  A & B also have T1's between them.

>   i would like to set up one exchange server at each office (A and B)
> and some sort of a bridgehead server at the data center.  my goal is,
> if either office A or office B goes down, they will not lose incomming
> mail, it will be queued at the birghehead server until that office
> comes back up.

> The exchange server in C would be where all mail to company.com would
> go, then it would route it to A.company.com or B.company.com,
> depending where the user is, so all emplyees would have

>    A -----  B
>    |            |
>     \        /
>       \   /

> my question is, how should i set up sites in this senerio.  i was
> thinking office A & B in one site (using RPC) and C be its own site,
> acting as a bridgehead between both A & B (using wither RPC or X.400)

> any ideas?  i can draw you a (better) picture if that would help.

> any help would be appreciated,

> thanks
> --
> stoph

1. site design question w/bridgehead?

[...]

2. NTFS Partitions

3. Migrating Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 Server

4. Three part question on Exchange Site design?

5. Alternate Recipient Problem

6. Multi-site design question

7. Custom form importing inton MSAccess

8. Changing first server in site/bridgehead

9. multiple bridgehead servers in same site

10. How many site connectors per bridgehead server

11. Remove bridgehead server from the existing site

12. Site connectors bridgeheads and Distrubution Lists