Account works internally but not externally

Account works internally but not externally

Post by Owen Greave » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:56:54

Hi Again,

  Here is an error message that comes up from an outside location trying to
send e-mail to oweng:

internal on Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:54:19 -0800
    A configuration error in the recipient's e-mail system prevented
delivery of this message.  Two recipients are configured with the same
e-mail address.  Contact your administrator.

I don't have a problem with the error, but I can only find ONE recipient
with the e-mail address in question.

Owen

> Hi Again,

>   Here is the error my father-in-law got:

> A configuration error in the recipient's e-mail system prevented
> delivery of this message.  Two recipients are configured with the same
> e-mail address.  Contact your administrator.

> The problem with this is I only see one oweng and that is when I make the
> account...even when the account does not exist it says there is two e-mail
> addresses.

> Owen

> > Hi,

> >   I thought of that, I did a search in Exchange System Manager for
> anything
> > related to oweng trying to find where the duplication is coming from. It
> > turned up nothing...Exchange thinks the e-mail already exsists even
though
> > nothing seems to reveal itself.

> >   If I make the account for Owen Greaves with the alias oweng which in
> turn

> the
> > general account page until i close the properties box of the oweng
account

e-mail
> > address.

> >   Exchange believes that oweng already is in there somewhere.

> > Owen

> > > Try to send an e-mail message to it with a read and delivery receipt
> > > attached. Is there any chance it might be associated with a public
> > > folder?

> > > On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 20:55:33 -0800, "Owen Greaves"

> > address

> message

> whole

Account works internally but not externally

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 06:46:54

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:18:38 -0800, "Owen Greaves"

>HI THERE,

> Here is the the search I did:

>c:\>ldifde -m -f ns1.ldf -d
>"cn=oweng,DC=MARKETINGTODAY.B.C.,DC=Microsoft,DC=Com"

>The results were: No Entries Found

>The reason for that is...I removed the account and did the search. I tried

>the e-mail address already existed.

>I am really enjoying this challenge but I would also like to solve it :)

There's a script here: http://www.swinc.com/resource/scripts.htm which
will search your GC for duplicate SMTP addresses. Try that and see
what it reports.

--
Chris Scharff
The Mail Resource Center http://www.Mail-Resources.com
The Home Page for Mail Administrators.

Free Custom OWA Login Page Wizard:
http://www.messageone.com/m1owa
Exchange FAQs:

Account works internally but not externally

Post by Owen Greave » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 07:23:09

Hi,

  Here is the results of the script...question is where and how do I solve
the problem?

ProxyAddress DistinguishedName FolderPath

Objects,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

System Objects,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

Greaves,CN=Users,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

Objects,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

Quote:> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:18:38 -0800, "Owen Greaves"

Thanks for ALL your help,

Owen Greaves

> >HI THERE,

> > Here is the the search I did:

> >c:\>ldifde -m -f ns1.ldf -d
> >"cn=oweng,DC=MARKETINGTODAY.B.C.,DC=Microsoft,DC=Com"

> >The results were: No Entries Found

> >The reason for that is...I removed the account and did the search. I
tried

said

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:24:09

>HI THERE,

> Here is the the search I did:

>c:\>ldifde -m -f ns1.ldf -d
>"cn=oweng,DC=MARKETINGTODAY.B.C.,DC=Microsoft,DC=Com"

>The results were: No Entries Found

You neglected to include the "-p subtree" in that command.

>The reason for that is...I removed the account and did the search. I tried

>the e-mail address already existed.

If it's a duplicate SMTP address you're looking for, it might be
assigned to a public folder. Have a look at
http://www.swinc.com/resource/scripts.htm and the DupSMTP. It's Perl
source code, but it'll find ALL the duplicate SMTP addresses in your
domains.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Account works internally but not externally

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:24:45

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>There's a script here: http://www.swinc.com/resource/scripts.htm which
>will search your GC for duplicate SMTP addresses. Try that and see
>what it reports.

Good idea!

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:26:54

>ProxyAddress DistinguishedName FolderPath

>Objects,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

Is that the whole line? It's a public folder, but the folder path
isn't there!

>System Objects,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

Another public folder.

>Greaves,CN=Users,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

Probably a User object.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:29:26

>A configuration error in the recipient's e-mail system prevented
>delivery of this message.  Two recipients are configured with the same
>e-mail address.  Contact your administrator.

There are two objects in the GC with that address:

Greaves,CN=Users,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

A user (probably your user),

        And:

System
Objects,DC=marketingtoday,DC=bc,DC=ca

A public folder.

Quote:>The problem with this is I only see one oweng and that is when I make the
>account...even when the account does not exist it says there is two e-mail
>addresses.

Public folders complicate things, don't they? :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Account works internally but not externally

Post by Owen Greave » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:05:36

Hi There,

  Well, if I had some public folders I could see that happening :)

Thanks for your help though! I am obviously in over my head here.

Owen

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:07:05

>  Well, if I had some public folders I could see that happening :)

Mail-enabled public folders should be the only thing in the Mictosoft
Exchange System Objects container in the AD. If you have no Public
Folders then you can use ADSIEDIT to remove the objects from that
container.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP