Backups

Post by Chris Hoo » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I am running an NT 3.51 Server with SQL and Exchange installed.  Also, I am
running Arvserve for NT 2.01 for my server and w/s backups which backup to
a 4 mm dat drive.
However, it seems that Arcserve does not "properly" backup SQL and
Exchange.

Can you tell me what application Microsoft recommends for backing up these
servers?  I need this application to be able to send an SMS alert via pager
or email as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Backups

Post by Greg Aske » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Cheyenne has optional db agents for Exchange and SQL Server. Check out:

http://www.cheyenne.com/Product-Info/windowsnt/arcserve-nt-menu.html

You may want to consider upgrading to ARCserve 6.  Customers who
purchased ARCserve 6 between June 1996 and March 30, 1997 are
entitled to a free copy of the NT Disaster Recovery Option, which
only works with V6.  This allows you to restore your server by
booting from floppy and begin the restore process without reinstalling
NT and all of your applications, like Exchange.  Info at:

http://www.cheyenne.com/drweb/drweb.html
--
Greg Askew
Business Information Technologies, Inc.

> I am running an NT 3.51 Server with SQL and Exchange installed.  Also, I am
> running Arvserve for NT 2.01 for my server and w/s backups which backup to
> a 4 mm dat drive.
> However, it seems that Arcserve does not "properly" backup SQL and
> Exchange.

> Can you tell me what application Microsoft recommends for backing up these
> servers?  I need this application to be able to send an SMS alert via pager
> or email as well.

> Any help would be appreciated.

Backups

Post by Chris Hoo » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

What are my current options - since I do not have 6.0?

Backups

Post by Dan Herol » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Cheyenne has optional db agents for Exchange and SQL Server. Check out:

The availability on the SQL Server agents for Arcserve doesn't appear all
that great.

I recently ordered some backup units for our firm along with Arcserve 6
Enterprise edition, the SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange agent. Turns out
our supplier is having a real tough time getting their hands on the SQL
Server agent (no problem getting Exchange). By the sounds of things,
Cheyenne hasn't provided this as of yet but should "real soon now", to
quote what my supplier told me.

.dan

--
Dan Herold

http://www.lanacom.com

Backups

Post by Brian Levesqu » Thu, 06 Feb 1997 04:00:00

  I use Seagate Backup Exec without any problems with the same setup.

> > Cheyenne has optional db agents for Exchange and SQL Server. Check out:

> The availability on the SQL Server agents for Arcserve doesn't appear all
> that great.

> I recently ordered some backup units for our firm along with Arcserve 6
> Enterprise edition, the SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange agent. Turns
out
> our supplier is having a real tough time getting their hands on the SQL
> Server agent (no problem getting Exchange). By the sounds of things,
> Cheyenne hasn't provided this as of yet but should "real soon now", to
> quote what my supplier told me.

> .dan

> --
> Dan Herold

> http://www.lanacom.com

1. Help on NT/Exchange backup with native NT Backup

I'm trying to configure our network to backup all NT servers (including an
Exchange 5.5 server) using one dedicated backup server with the native NT
backup software.  I installed the Exchange Administrator program on the
dedicated backup server which in turn gave me the enhanced Exchange backup
capabilities (essentially an open files backup for the pub and pri
information stores).  I've got all the drives mapped correctly and i have no
problems backing up the non-Exchange servers.  When i try to backup the
Exchange server, this is the error message i get..

INSUFFICIENT DISK SPACE.  VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE FULL ACCESS TO THE WORKING
DIRECTORY AND THERE IS DISK SPACE AVAILABLE.

There's plenty of diskspace on all servers and on the tape, so that can't be
it.  I attached to the Exchange server as administrator, so i'm not sure why
i would get an access denial..

Also, is it possible to use the native backup from the command line WITH the
enhanced Exchange features?  ..Or are those features only available in the
GUI backup?  The reason i ask is that i need to schedule it using the AT
command and i'm not sure how to use the AT command to schedule a GUI backup.

Any thoughts?  Ideas?  Insight?...

THANKS!!!
-jim

2. Outlook 97 on a server

3. Backup MS Exchange with LINUX backup program

4. GroupShield

5. Info Store Backup vs Brick Level Backup with Arcserve Exchange

6. any chance this will happen?

7. What to backup and howto backup online

8. trouble configuring the X400 settings for a Distribution List

9. use Windows 2000 Backup to backup Exchange?

10. NT Backup fails to backup IS

11. Backup Exchange using W2K Backup program

12. Using NT Backup to Backup Exchange Question

13. Backup Exchange from backup server