Rapidly losing disk space

Post by Bria » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:20:35

I have a server running Exchange 2000 with 5 gig and 95
gig partitions.  My 5 gig partition contains the boot,
exchange, etc.  My 96 gig partition contains the
information Store, Archives for e-mail, etc.  I am running
Panda antivirus and have rulled this out being the
culprit.  I am down to 820 mb's of disk space on the boot
partition and dropping 5-10 mb's per day.  What could be
causing the hard disk space to be dropping rapidly?  I am
not an exchange expert but noticed that there is a 3rd
partition that Exchange must have created (Exchange M:).
It has the same size and space available and it looks like
it is storing info/mailboxes for OWA.  What could be the
cause?  What can I do?  Please help before it is too
late.  Thank you.

Rapidly losing disk space

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:29:24

Forget the M: its a virtual drive and you do not need to worry about it.

If you look on the 5Gb partition, do you see any files with a .log extension
in the MDBDATA directory?, if you have a lot of them then your backup is not
working the way it should, and you can purge them by performing a full
backup of the Exchange Storage Group using an Exchange aware backup program
such as the Windows 2000 Backup program on your Exchange server.

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Quote:> I have a server running Exchange 2000 with 5 gig and 95
> gig partitions.  My 5 gig partition contains the boot,
> exchange, etc.  My 96 gig partition contains the
> information Store, Archives for e-mail, etc.  I am running
> Panda antivirus and have rulled this out being the
> culprit.  I am down to 820 mb's of disk space on the boot
> partition and dropping 5-10 mb's per day.  What could be
> causing the hard disk space to be dropping rapidly?  I am
> not an exchange expert but noticed that there is a 3rd
> partition that Exchange must have created (Exchange M:).
> It has the same size and space available and it looks like
> it is storing info/mailboxes for OWA.  What could be the
> cause?  What can I do?  Please help before it is too
> late.  Thank you.

Rapidly losing disk space

Post by Gary McDonnel » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 09:31:10

The M: drive doesn't really exist - it's just a virtual drive that
represents the Exchange database. Try to ignore it and certainly DO NOT let
your antivirus software scan it at all. Also be certain that your antivirus
isn't scanning the Exchange database files.

With regards to the disk space on the boot partition: It is possible you are
storing your transaction logs there. Do a search for E*.LOG on that drive. A
backup of the Exchange database using an Exchange aware backup program such
as the version of NTBACKUP that was installed on your system with Exchange
will commit the transactions and clear the log files.

It is also possible that you have a lot of bad / undeliverable messages in
the BadMail folder of your SMTP virtual server. Do a search for *.BAD files
to find the location of that folder.

There may be other causes as well, but these are some pretty likely
culprits.

Gary McDonnell
http://turbogeeks.com

I have a server running Exchange 2000 with 5 gig and 95
gig partitions.  My 5 gig partition contains the boot,
exchange, etc.  My 96 gig partition contains the
information Store, Archives for e-mail, etc.  I am running
Panda antivirus and have rulled this out being the
culprit.  I am down to 820 mb's of disk space on the boot
partition and dropping 5-10 mb's per day.  What could be
causing the hard disk space to be dropping rapidly?  I am
not an exchange expert but noticed that there is a 3rd
partition that Exchange must have created (Exchange M:).
It has the same size and space available and it looks like
it is storing info/mailboxes for OWA.  What could be the
cause?  What can I do?  Please help before it is too
late.  Thank you.

Rapidly losing disk space

Post by Bria » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:34:48

Can I just go into that folder and purge or delete all the
bad mail?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The M: drive doesn't really exist - it's just a virtual
drive that
>represents the Exchange database. Try to ignore it and

certainly DO NOT let
Quote:>your antivirus software scan it at all. Also be certain
that your antivirus
>isn't scanning the Exchange database files.

>With regards to the disk space on the boot partition: It
is possible you are
>storing your transaction logs there. Do a search for

E*.LOG on that drive. A
Quote:>backup of the Exchange database using an Exchange aware
backup program such
>as the version of NTBACKUP that was installed on your

system with Exchange
Quote:>will commit the transactions and clear the log files.

>It is also possible that you have a lot of bad /

undeliverable messages in
Quote:>the BadMail folder of your SMTP virtual server. Do a

search for *.BAD files
>to find the location of that folder.

>There may be other causes as well, but these are some
pretty likely
>culprits.

>Gary McDonnell
>http://turbogeeks.com

>I have a server running Exchange 2000 with 5 gig and 95
>gig partitions.  My 5 gig partition contains the boot,
>exchange, etc.  My 96 gig partition contains the
>information Store, Archives for e-mail, etc.  I am running
>Panda antivirus and have rulled this out being the
>culprit.  I am down to 820 mb's of disk space on the boot
>partition and dropping 5-10 mb's per day.  What could be
>causing the hard disk space to be dropping rapidly?  I am
>not an exchange expert but noticed that there is a 3rd
>partition that Exchange must have created (Exchange M:).
>It has the same size and space available and it looks like
>it is storing info/mailboxes for OWA.  What could be the
>cause?  What can I do?  Please help before it is too
>late.  Thank you.

>.

Rapidly losing disk space

Post by Gary McDonnel » Fri, 04 Apr 2003 05:40:56

Yes, you can delete anything in the BadMail folder.

Gary McDonnell
http://turbogeeks.com

Can I just go into that folder and purge or delete all the
bad mail?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>The M: drive doesn't really exist - it's just a virtual
drive that
>represents the Exchange database. Try to ignore it and

certainly DO NOT let
Quote:>your antivirus software scan it at all. Also be certain
that your antivirus
>isn't scanning the Exchange database files.

>With regards to the disk space on the boot partition: It
is possible you are
>storing your transaction logs there. Do a search for

E*.LOG on that drive. A
Quote:>backup of the Exchange database using an Exchange aware
backup program such
>as the version of NTBACKUP that was installed on your

system with Exchange
Quote:>will commit the transactions and clear the log files.

>It is also possible that you have a lot of bad /

undeliverable messages in
Quote:>the BadMail folder of your SMTP virtual server. Do a

search for *.BAD files
>to find the location of that folder.

>There may be other causes as well, but these are some
pretty likely
>culprits.

>Gary McDonnell
>http://turbogeeks.com

>I have a server running Exchange 2000 with 5 gig and 95
>gig partitions.  My 5 gig partition contains the boot,
>exchange, etc.  My 96 gig partition contains the
>information Store, Archives for e-mail, etc.  I am running
>Panda antivirus and have rulled this out being the
>culprit.  I am down to 820 mb's of disk space on the boot
>partition and dropping 5-10 mb's per day.  What could be
>causing the hard disk space to be dropping rapidly?  I am
>not an exchange expert but noticed that there is a 3rd
>partition that Exchange must have created (Exchange M:).
>It has the same size and space available and it looks like
>it is storing info/mailboxes for OWA.  What could be the
>cause?  What can I do?  Please help before it is too
>late.  Thank you.

>.

1. Rapidly losing disk space

I have a server running Exchange 2000 with 5 gig and 95
gig partitions.  My 5 gig partition contains the boot,
exchange, etc.  My 96 gig partition contains the
information Store, Archives for e-mail, etc.  I am running
Panda antivirus and have rulled this out being the
culprit.  I am down to 820 mb's of disk space on the boot
partition and dropping 5-10 mb's per day.  What could be
causing the hard disk space to be dropping rapidly?  I am
not an exchange expert but noticed that there is a 3rd
partition that Exchange must have created (Exchange M:).
It has the same size and space available and it looks like
it is storing info/mailboxes for OWA.  What could be the
cause?  What can I do?  Please help before it is too
late.  Thank you.

2. OWA documentation

3. OWA setup for Exchange 5.5

4. Rapidly losing sick space

5. Exchange/OL98: personal distributionlists in public folder??

6. Logs low disk space error when there is plenty of disk space

7. Deletion of mails

8. Urgent, lost disk space

9. Losing Disk Space

10. Lost Disk space

11. Urgent , lost disk space

12. Newbie Q: Lost user's E-Mail after Server ran out of disk space