MOVING EXCHANGE 5.5 TO A DIFFERENT SERVER WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

MOVING EXCHANGE 5.5 TO A DIFFERENT SERVER WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

Post by Denna Demb » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:42:00

Due to an increase of end users, my organization would
like to move our first exchange 5.5-sp3 email server to a
new system with upgraded hardware that currently has
exchange 5.5 sp3 but has a diffent name.  We currently
have three email servers in the same site; we would like
to move all mailboxes off the first server to one of the
more powerful servers in the same site then get rid of the
first server.

Please let me know if there is a way we can do this with
limited down time.

MOVING EXCHANGE 5.5 TO A DIFFERENT SERVER WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

Post by KK » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:55:36

either user the "move mailbox" toolor export the
mailboxes using exmerge two step merge then:

us;Q152959&sd=tech

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Due to an increase of end users, my organization would
>like to move our first exchange 5.5-sp3 email server to
>new system with upgraded hardware that currently has
>exchange 5.5 sp3 but has a diffent name.  We currently
>have three email servers in the same site; we would like
>to move all mailboxes off the first server to one of the
>more powerful servers in the same site then get rid of
the
>first server.

>Please let me know if there is a way we can do this with
>limited down time.

>.

MOVING EXCHANGE 5.5 TO A DIFFERENT SERVER WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

Post by Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:04:16

Or this which is the best walk through around
http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_appxa.htm

--
Martin Blackstone
MVP - Exchange

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

Quote:> either user the "move mailbox" toolor export the
> mailboxes using exmerge two step merge then:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;Q152959&sd=tech

Post by Mari » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 02:10:30

I have had to do something similar in the past.  I used
XMerge; however the container name, server name and drives
must be named identical to your old server.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Due to an increase of end users, my organization would
>like to move our first exchange 5.5-sp3 email server to a
>new system with upgraded hardware that currently has
>exchange 5.5 sp3 but has a diffent name.  We currently
>have three email servers in the same site; we would like
>to move all mailboxes off the first server to one of the
>more powerful servers in the same site then get rid of
the
>first server.

>Please let me know if there is a way we can do this with
>limited down time.

>.

MOVING EXCHANGE 5.5 TO A DIFFERENT SERVER WITH A DIFFERENT NAME

Post by Martin Blackstone [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 03:09:51

Not for this type of upgrade. Since the server name is changing, moving the
stores manually and doing a DR would be a waste of time.

--
Martin Blackstone
MVP - Exchange

http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxc.htm

Quote:> I have had to do something similar in the past.  I used