Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

Post by Roger G » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:21:45

Dear All,
we have decided to move all our Excel sheet based contacts to Exchange
Public Folder Contacts (we have SBS 2000). So I have created sub-folders
corresponding to the categories we had in the Excel Sheets (Folder =
Customers; Sub-folder = Customers - Europe; Sub-folder = Customers - USA,
etc.).
The problem is that when I try to search for a contact, I can only search
within a specific folder (e.g. Customers - USA) and I cannot position on the
top level Folder (e.g. Customers) nore can I select multiple folders at the
same time.

Any ideas,

Thank you in Advance,

Roger G.

Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 00:40:21

That's the way it works - can't search subfolders in PF tree. Sad but true.

Regardless, from an organizational standpoint, a better idea might be to
assign Outlook categories to all items, and put them in the same folder. It
would also resolve your searching problem.

This will make it easy to manage your categories:
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/reqcat.htm

> Dear All,
> we have decided to move all our Excel sheet based contacts to Exchange
> Public Folder Contacts (we have SBS 2000). So I have created
> sub-folders corresponding to the categories we had in the Excel
> Sheets (Folder = Customers; Sub-folder = Customers - Europe;
> Sub-folder = Customers - USA, etc.).
> The problem is that when I try to search for a contact, I can only
> search within a specific folder (e.g. Customers - USA) and I cannot
> position on the top level Folder (e.g. Customers) nore can I select
> multiple folders at the same time.

> Any ideas,

> Thank you in Advance,

> Roger G.

Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:46:18

Or deply Sharepoint Portal Server 2001, which can full text index a whole
Public folder store.

(Hi Paula ;-)

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

message:

> That's the way it works - can't search subfolders in PF tree. Sad but
> true.

> Regardless, from an organizational standpoint, a better idea might be
> to assign Outlook categories to all items, and put them in the same
> folder. It would also resolve your searching problem.

> This will make it easy to manage your categories:
> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/reqcat.htm

>> Dear All,
>> we have decided to move all our Excel sheet based contacts to
>> Exchange Public Folder Contacts (we have SBS 2000). So I have created
>> sub-folders corresponding to the categories we had in the Excel
>> Sheets (Folder = Customers; Sub-folder = Customers - Europe;
>> Sub-folder = Customers - USA, etc.).
>> The problem is that when I try to search for a contact, I can only
>> search within a specific folder (e.g. Customers - USA) and I cannot
>> position on the top level Folder (e.g. Customers) nore can I select
>> multiple folders at the same time.

>> Any ideas,

>> Thank you in Advance,

>> Roger G.

Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

:-) Tschss, Sieg...

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:48:28

> Or deply Sharepoint Portal Server 2001, which can full text index a
> whole Public folder store.

> (Hi Paula ;-)

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> message:

>> That's the way it works - can't search subfolders in PF tree. Sad but
>> true.

>> Regardless, from an organizational standpoint, a better idea might be
>> to assign Outlook categories to all items, and put them in the same
>> folder. It would also resolve your searching problem.

>> This will make it easy to manage your categories:
>> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/reqcat.htm

>>> Dear All,
>>> we have decided to move all our Excel sheet based contacts to
>>> Exchange Public Folder Contacts (we have SBS 2000). So I have
>>> created sub-folders corresponding to the categories we had in the
>>> Excel Sheets (Folder = Customers; Sub-folder = Customers - Europe;
>>> Sub-folder = Customers - USA, etc.).
>>> The problem is that when I try to search for a contact, I can only
>>> search within a specific folder (e.g. Customers - USA) and I cannot
>>> position on the top level Folder (e.g. Customers) nore can I select
>>> multiple folders at the same time.

>>> Any ideas,

>>> Thank you in Advance,

>>> Roger G.

Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:36:28

Hey! How did you get this weird umlaut into the message? My keyboard doesn't
have those ;-)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

message:

> :-) Tschss, Sieg...

>> Or deply Sharepoint Portal Server 2001, which can full text index a
>> whole Public folder store.

>> (Hi Paula ;-)

>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>> message:

>>> That's the way it works - can't search subfolders in PF tree. Sad
>>> but true.

>>> Regardless, from an organizational standpoint, a better idea might
>>> be to assign Outlook categories to all items, and put them in the
>>> same folder. It would also resolve your searching problem.

>>> This will make it easy to manage your categories:
>>> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/olforms/reqcat.htm

Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:32:28

I have a special keyboard that allows me to do this fancy thing called Copy
& Paste (from the internet) ;-)

> Hey! How did you get this weird umlaut into the message? My keyboard
> doesn't have those ;-)

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> message:

>> :-) Tschss, Sieg...

>>> Or deply Sharepoint Portal Server 2001, which can full text index a
>>> whole Public folder store.

>>> (Hi Paula ;-)

>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>>> message:

Cannot Search Contacts Sub-folders

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Thu, 24 Apr 2003 01:40:46

Note to myself: get one of those funky keayboards supporting cut & paste.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

message:

> I have a special keyboard that allows me to do this fancy thing
> called Copy & Paste (from the internet) ;-)

>> Hey! How did you get this weird umlaut into the message? My keyboard
>> doesn't have those ;-)

>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>> message:

>>> :-) Tschss, Sieg...

1. Cannot search Contacts sub-folders

Dear All,

we have decided to move all our Excel sheet based contacts to Exchange
Public Folder Contacts (we have SBS 2000). So I have created sub-folders
corresponding to the categories we had in the Excel Sheets (Folder =
Customers; Sub-folder = Customers - Europe; Sub-folder = Customers - USA,
etc.).
The problem is that when I try to search for a contact, I can only search
within a specific folder (e.g. Customers - USA) and I cannot position on the
top level Folder (e.g. Customers) nore can I select multiple folders at the
same time.

Any ideas,

Thank you in Advance,

Roger G.

2. How long does a defrag of the exchange mailstore generally take?

3. users contact folder in sub folder of contacts

4. Setting up Exchange

5. Search a public folders and sub folders

6. Cable instead of ISDN.....

7. How do you Search sub-folders in Public Folders

8. Update

9. Sharing a sub-folder of the Contacts folder

10. Cannot create sub folder in Public Folder

11. Need help on how to search Exchange subfolders via Web, and content of folders

12. Search subfolders in public folders.

13. Searching public folders + subfolders