Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Christine F. Muehlin » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all!

I have a user who periodically doesn't get email.  It will happen once in a
while that she doesn't get mail from a particular person, then she'll start
again.  The senders will vary.

Currently, she's missing mail from 2 people.
I've checked her client rules, which are not actioning mail from these
people.  She doesn't have any restrictions or settings on the server, which
would cause her to reject anyone, let alone different people at different
points in time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  She happens to be a manager of 3
departments (can you say "overworked?") and she's not getting mail from her
boss or her first, front line manager.  Can it get any better?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Christine

Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Martin Tui » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'll give this a shot:

Has her email address changed lately and do the people that mail her still
use an old address ?

--
Martin Tuip
http://www.exchange-mail.org

----

Member of CDOLive - The Premier Resource for Microsoft Collaboration Data
Objects
http://www.cdolive.com

Quote:> Hi all!

> I have a user who periodically doesn't get email.  It will happen once in
> while that she doesn't get mail from a particular person, then she'll
start
> again.  The senders will vary.

> Currently, she's missing mail from 2 people.
> I've checked her client rules, which are not actioning mail from these
> people.  She doesn't have any restrictions or settings on the server,
which
> would cause her to reject anyone, let alone different people at different
> points in time.

> Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  She happens to be a manager of 3
> departments (can you say "overworked?") and she's not getting mail from
her
> boss or her first, front line manager.  Can it get any better?

> Thanks for your thoughts!
> Christine

Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Becke » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Good point! Users may have to update their personal distribution lists.
I bet the times when it works are when the message is addressed
directly from the GAL...

> I'll give this a shot:

> Has her email address changed lately and do the people that mail her
still
> use an old address ?

> --
> Martin Tuip
> http://www.exchange-mail.org

> ----

> Member of CDOLive - The Premier Resource for Microsoft Collaboration
Data
> Objects
> http://www.cdolive.com

message

> > Hi all!

> > I have a user who periodically doesn't get email.  It will happen
once in
> > while that she doesn't get mail from a particular person, then
she'll
> start
> > again.  The senders will vary.

> > Currently, she's missing mail from 2 people.
> > I've checked her client rules, which are not actioning mail from
these
> > people.  She doesn't have any restrictions or settings on the
server,
> which
> > would cause her to reject anyone, let alone different people at
different
> > points in time.

> > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  She happens to be a manager
of 3
> > departments (can you say "overworked?") and she's not getting mail
from
> her
> > boss or her first, front line manager.  Can it get any better?

> > Thanks for your thoughts!
> > Christine

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Bailey Garriso » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Have you installed SP3?  If so, you may want to look at applying their
patch.  It seems when you install SP3 and your MTA gets overloaded it will
start "silently" deleting mail.....

PSS ID Number: Q247255
Article last modified on 01-27-2000

winnt:5.5 SP3

winnt

---

 - Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5 SP3
---

SYMPTOMS
========

Messages appear to be properly delivered, but are silently deleted by the
information store when the message transfer agent (MTA) is not started or
the
information store loses session to the MTA. In the client, the message
appears
to be properly delivered because the message leaves the Outbox and becomes
visible in the Sent Items folder.

etc., etc., etc.

Bailey Garrison
Apollo Group, Inc.

*****

> Good point! Users may have to update their personal distribution lists.
> I bet the times when it works are when the message is addressed
> directly from the GAL...

> > I'll give this a shot:

> > Has her email address changed lately and do the people that mail her
> still
> > use an old address ?

> > --
> > Martin Tuip
> > http://www.exchange-mail.org

> > ----

> > Member of CDOLive - The Premier Resource for Microsoft Collaboration
> Data
> > Objects
> > http://www.cdolive.com

> message

> > > Hi all!

> > > I have a user who periodically doesn't get email.  It will happen
> once in
> > > while that she doesn't get mail from a particular person, then
> she'll
> > start
> > > again.  The senders will vary.

> > > Currently, she's missing mail from 2 people.
> > > I've checked her client rules, which are not actioning mail from
> these
> > > people.  She doesn't have any restrictions or settings on the
> server,
> > which
> > > would cause her to reject anyone, let alone different people at
> different
> > > points in time.

> > > Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  She happens to be a manager
> of 3
> > > departments (can you say "overworked?") and she's not getting mail
> from
> > her
> > > boss or her first, front line manager.  Can it get any better?

> > > Thanks for your thoughts!
> > > Christine

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Christine F. Muehlin » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

No, her email hasn't changed.
Good thought, though!

Christine

Quote:> I'll give this a shot:

> Has her email address changed lately and do the people that mail her still
> use an old address ?

Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Christine F. Muehlin » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Although her address hasn't changed, I'm going to play with this.

Christine

Quote:> Good point! Users may have to update their personal distribution lists.
> I bet the times when it works are when the message is addressed
> directly from the GAL...

Sporadically Disappearing Mail

Post by Christine F. Muehlin » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

This is interesting.
We do have SP3 on, and she's the only one to whom this is happening.  (I'd
think there would be more.)
But I'll take a look and make sure *her* services are in good shape, etc.

Thanks for the article.  As a new Exch Admin, I am voraciously reading!

Christine

Quote:> Have you installed SP3?  If so, you may want to look at applying their