NTBACKUP question

Post by Gert Lack » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

We wanna do backups from an Exchange server not on the machine it is running
but on a NT server in a more convenient location.

Is that possible at all?
What do we have to install on that NT server (which is actually a file
server) in order to NTBACKUP the Exchange server across the network?

Gert

NTBACKUP question

Post by Kevin M Keigher » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Have a look at the Exchange-aware BackupExec product. Now produced by Veritas,
www.veritas.com  after they bought it from Seagate. It has:

1. Multi-server capability from central point
2. Exchange Agent
3. Intelligent Disaster Recovery facility
4. Autoloader capability

Kevin

> We wanna do backups from an Exchange server not on the machine it is running
> but on a NT server in a more convenient location.

> Is that possible at all?
> What do we have to install on that NT server (which is actually a file
> server) in order to NTBACKUP the Exchange server across the network?

> Gert

  kevin.vcf
< 1K Download

NTBACKUP question

Post by Amiri Jon » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>We wanna do backups from an Exchange server not on the machine it is
>running but on a NT server in a more convenient location.

>Is that possible at all?
>What do we have to install on that NT server (which is actually a file
>server) in order to NTBACKUP the Exchange server across the network?

        Sure it's possible.  The cheapest way to do it (no additional
software to buy) is to install the Exchange Administrator components on
another NT machine.  Installing the administrative components updates the
NTBACKUP program on that machine to allow it to back up Exchange servers
without having to stop the Exchange services (a BAD idea).  KB article
Q181445, "XADM: Files Needed to Perform Exchange NT Backup on Workstation",
describes the minimum files needed to make NTBACKUP Exchange-aware.

1. NTbackup question

Hi all,

Just wondering - if a user accesses email etc. during a backup session, does it
corrupt the backup?

I have been having backup issues - backup works fine for a few days, then get
errors (backup of log files corrupt, will not restore...).  Then the next day
the backup works fine.

I have even run two backups at night (like 2am and 4am) and have the first one
come up corrupt - but the second one was fine.

Any help appreciated,
Rob

2. Unchecked Buffer Security Patch

3. NTBackup question.

4. Exch 2000 and 5.5 (cannot receive mail)

5. NTBackup question

6. exchange5.5

7. ntbackup question with exchange

8. auto replys

9. Ex5 sp1 (NT4sp3) NTBackup question

10. Another NTBackup restore question

11. veritas supplied ntbackup and MS supplied ntbackup

12. !!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!