!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

Post by Kris » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:47:34

I am struggling to do an offline backup of Exchange using a batch file
through WINAT on NT 4.0 (Svc Pack 6a).

Exchange optimizer has spread the files across both partitions and i
therefore need to backup the EXCHSRVR directory on both C and D - this
is how my command looks:

ntbackup backup c:\exchsrvr d:\exchsrvr /a /v /d "exchange backup" /b
/hc:on /t normal /l "c:\winnt.sbs\backup.log" /e

it appears to successfully backup both directories but if i load up
the tape it only displays the C:\exchsrvr !!!

i have tried dozens of permutations :-
setting hc to 'off'
using /tape:0
enclosing the paths with quotes
separating the paths with commas and semi colons
using 2 commands with the 2nd command appending D:
etc...etc...

no matter what i try it does not work and only displays the first set
(C:). I think it must BE on the tape as the log wouldn't report a
successful verification. It just cant't seem to display the second
set....

i can backup D: if i specify the path on its own...

i would be very grateful for any help on this as i have been working
on this problem for days, i have scoured these groups and haven't
found anyone who's had the same issue and i'm starting to lose the
will to live !

thanks in advance

Chris

!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

Post by RCC » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 04:05:09

Quote:> I am struggling to do an offline backup of Exchange using a batch file
> through WINAT on NT 4.0 (Svc Pack 6a).

> Exchange optimizer has spread the files across both partitions and i
> therefore need to backup the EXCHSRVR directory on both C and D - this
> is how my command looks:

> ntbackup backup c:\exchsrvr d:\exchsrvr /a /v /d "exchange backup" /b
> /hc:on /t normal /l "c:\winnt.sbs\backup.log" /e

> it appears to successfully backup both directories but if i load up
> the tape it only displays the C:\exchsrvr !!!

> i have tried dozens of permutations :-
> setting hc to 'off'
> using /tape:0
> enclosing the paths with quotes
> separating the paths with commas and semi colons
> using 2 commands with the 2nd command appending D:
> etc...etc...

> no matter what i try it does not work and only displays the first set
> (C:). I think it must BE on the tape as the log wouldn't report a
> successful verification. It just cant't seem to display the second
> set....

> i can backup D: if i specify the path on its own...

> i would be very grateful for any help on this as i have been working
> on this problem for days, i have scoured these groups and haven't
> found anyone who's had the same issue and i'm starting to lose the
> will to live !

> thanks in advance

> Chris

Have you done a FULL catalog when loading the tape with the backup on it?

!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

Post by Enkid » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:08:13

You are not backing up your Excahnge at all! Since the database is
always open, you will not be able to back up those files unless you
stop the services first.

You can backup the Exchange database by using the following:

NTBACKUP backup IS \servername DS \servername

This backs up the Information store (IS) and Directory Store (DS)
without the need to stop Exchange.

Incidentally you can see the times of start and finish of NTBackup in
the Application Log in Event Viewer.

Use the help system to find the command line parameters for NTBackup.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

The Nats held a Party and no one came.

Post by Kris » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:28:02

> > I am struggling to do an offline backup of Exchange using a batch file
> > through WINAT on NT 4.0 (Svc Pack 6a).

> > Exchange optimizer has spread the files across both partitions and i
> > therefore need to backup the EXCHSRVR directory on both C and D - this
> > is how my command looks:

> > ntbackup backup c:\exchsrvr d:\exchsrvr /a /v /d "exchange backup" /b
> > /hc:on /t normal /l "c:\winnt.sbs\backup.log" /e

> > it appears to successfully backup both directories but if i load up
> > the tape it only displays the C:\exchsrvr !!!

> > i have tried dozens of permutations :-
> > setting hc to 'off'
> > using /tape:0
> > enclosing the paths with quotes
> > separating the paths with commas and semi colons
> > using 2 commands with the 2nd command appending D:
> > etc...etc...

> > no matter what i try it does not work and only displays the first set
> > (C:). I think it must BE on the tape as the log wouldn't report a
> > successful verification. It just cant't seem to display the second
> > set....

> > i can backup D: if i specify the path on its own...

> > i would be very grateful for any help on this as i have been working
> > on this problem for days, i have scoured these groups and haven't
> > found anyone who's had the same issue and i'm starting to lose the
> > will to live !

> > thanks in advance

> > Chris

> Have you done a FULL catalog when loading the tape with the backup on it?

No...i haven't...how do i go about doing that ?

When i load the tape it only offers me the first set only - if i use
the GUI to backup it correctly displays C: as set 1 and D: as set 2...

Post by RCC » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 04:23:27

> > > I am struggling to do an offline backup of Exchange using a batch file
> > > through WINAT on NT 4.0 (Svc Pack 6a).

> > > Exchange optimizer has spread the files across both partitions and i
> > > therefore need to backup the EXCHSRVR directory on both C and D - this
> > > is how my command looks:

> > > ntbackup backup c:\exchsrvr d:\exchsrvr /a /v /d "exchange backup" /b
> > > /hc:on /t normal /l "c:\winnt.sbs\backup.log" /e

> > > it appears to successfully backup both directories but if i load up
> > > the tape it only displays the C:\exchsrvr !!!

> > > i have tried dozens of permutations :-
> > > setting hc to 'off'
> > > using /tape:0
> > > enclosing the paths with quotes
> > > separating the paths with commas and semi colons
> > > using 2 commands with the 2nd command appending D:
> > > etc...etc...

> > > no matter what i try it does not work and only displays the first set
> > > (C:). I think it must BE on the tape as the log wouldn't report a
> > > successful verification. It just cant't seem to display the second
> > > set....

> > > i can backup D: if i specify the path on its own...

> > > i would be very grateful for any help on this as i have been working
> > > on this problem for days, i have scoured these groups and haven't
> > > found anyone who's had the same issue and i'm starting to lose the
> > > will to live !

> > > thanks in advance

> > > Chris

> > Have you done a FULL catalog when loading the tape with the backup on
it?

> No...i haven't...how do i go about doing that ?

> When i load the tape it only offers me the first set only - if i use
> the GUI to backup it correctly displays C: as set 1 and D: as set 2...

Double-click on the tape.Or look in the menu for CATALOG command.
Each resource parameter you add to the ntbackup command line will create a
new set on the same tape (i.e., C:\, D:\ ). BY default, only the first one
(close to the tape beginning) is displayed.
Also, either put net stop  statements for exchange services for offline
backup (if you can afford the time windows) or add the /IS /DS parameters
specified by the other post.
You should read the exchange 5.5 disaster recovery whitepapers at Microsoft
for more info in order to decide upon a backup/restore strategy.
Regards,
RCC

Post by Kris » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:50:46

> > > Have you done a FULL catalog when loading the tape with the backup on
>  it?

> > No...i haven't...how do i go about doing that ?

> > When i load the tape it only offers me the first set only - if i use
> > the GUI to backup it correctly displays C: as set 1 and D: as set 2...

> Double-click on the tape.Or look in the menu for CATALOG command.
> Each resource parameter you add to the ntbackup command line will create a
> new set on the same tape (i.e., C:\, D:\ ). BY default, only the first one
> (close to the tape beginning) is displayed.
> Also, either put net stop  statements for exchange services for offline
> backup (if you can afford the time windows) or add the /IS /DS parameters
> specified by the other post.
> You should read the exchange 5.5 disaster recovery whitepapers at Microsoft
> for more info in order to decide upon a backup/restore strategy.
> Regards,
> RCC

Thanks !!!

That was the answer i was looking for - i didn't have a problem
anyway...once i catalogued the tape it showed all the sets that it
doesn't display when you first put the tape in.

And yes....i already have the 'Disaster Recovery' very useful indeed !

Thanks for your help

Post by Kris » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:53:56

> You are not backing up your Excahnge at all! Since the database is
> always open, you will not be able to back up those files unless you
> stop the services first.

> You can backup the Exchange database by using the following:

> NTBACKUP backup IS \servername DS \servername

> This backs up the Information store (IS) and Directory Store (DS)
> without the need to stop Exchange.

> Incidentally you can see the times of start and finish of NTBackup in
> the Application Log in Event Viewer.

> Use the help system to find the command line parameters for NTBackup.

> Cheers,

> Cliff

Thanks...but the problem was that it doesn't display all sets backed
up....even on my 'ONLINE' backups it would only display the Directory
Store. The answer seems to be to Catalogue the tape to view all sets.

Thanks for your help

Chris

> >I am struggling to do an offline backup of Exchange using a batch file
> >through WINAT on NT 4.0 (Svc Pack 6a).

> >Exchange optimizer has spread the files across both partitions and i
> >therefore need to backup the EXCHSRVR directory on both C and D - this
> >is how my command looks:

> >ntbackup backup c:\exchsrvr d:\exchsrvr /a /v /d "exchange backup" /b
> >/hc:on /t normal /l "c:\winnt.sbs\backup.log" /e

> >it appears to successfully backup both directories but if i load up
> >the tape it only displays the C:\exchsrvr !!!

> >i have tried dozens of permutations :-
> >setting hc to 'off'
> >using /tape:0
> >enclosing the paths with quotes
> >separating the paths with commas and semi colons
> >using 2 commands with the 2nd command appending D:
> >etc...etc...

> >no matter what i try it does not work and only displays the first set
> >(C:). I think it must BE on the tape as the log wouldn't report a
> >successful verification. It just cant't seem to display the second
> >set....

> >i can backup D: if i specify the path on its own...

> >i would be very grateful for any help on this as i have been working
> >on this problem for days, i have scoured these groups and haven't
> >found anyone who's had the same issue and i'm starting to lose the
> >will to live !

> >thanks in advance

> >Chris

> --

> The Nats held a Party and no one came.

!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

Post by Enkid » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:39:40

Quote:

>Thanks...but the problem was that it doesn't display all sets backed
>up....even on my 'ONLINE' backups it would only display the Directory
>Store. The answer seems to be to Catalogue the tape to view all sets.

OK, I note from the first post that you are doing an offline backup.
That's fine, but I hope you are doing at least one online backup per
week, so that the log files get purged. I've been running Exchange for
over two years, and I've never done an offline backup - never seen the
need. But of course your requirements may be different.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Post by RCC » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:15:53

> >Thanks...but the problem was that it doesn't display all sets backed
> >up....even on my 'ONLINE' backups it would only display the Directory
> >Store. The answer seems to be to Catalogue the tape to view all sets.

> OK, I note from the first post that you are doing an offline backup.
> That's fine, but I hope you are doing at least one online backup per
> week, so that the log files get purged. I've been running Exchange for
> over two years, and I've never done an offline backup - never seen the
> need. But of course your requirements may be different.

> Cheers,

> Cliff
> --

> The Nats held a Party and no one came.

I agree, onlines work fine for me too, the only time I did offlines was for
migrating the databases to a different hardware platform.
Regards,
RCC

!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

Post by ter » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:49:58

I have NT installed on my PC.  I got some memory dump error so I powered off my
PC.  Now, while rebooting system , it is asking me to insert system disk in
floppy drive A.

I have NT operarting system CD but not system disk. Do you know how can I solve
this problem? from which website, I can download NT system disk?

Vivek

> > >Thanks...but the problem was that it doesn't display all sets backed
> > >up....even on my 'ONLINE' backups it would only display the Directory
> > >Store. The answer seems to be to Catalogue the tape to view all sets.

> > OK, I note from the first post that you are doing an offline backup.
> > That's fine, but I hope you are doing at least one online backup per
> > week, so that the log files get purged. I've been running Exchange for
> > over two years, and I've never done an offline backup - never seen the
> > need. But of course your requirements may be different.

> > Cheers,

> > Cliff
> > --

> > The Nats held a Party and no one came.
> I agree, onlines work fine for me too, the only time I did offlines was for
> migrating the databases to a different hardware platform.
> Regards,
> RCC

!!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

Post by RCC » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 15:31:42

Quote:> I have NT installed on my PC.  I got some memory dump error so I powered
off my
> PC.  Now, while rebooting system , it is asking me to insert system disk
in
> floppy drive A.

> I have NT operarting system CD but not system disk. Do you know how can I
solve
> this problem? from which website, I can download NT system disk?

> Vivek

I think your problem is more serious than inserting a disk in drive a:
(looks like your hdd/partition/partition table/mbr are gone)
Try an ms*.*setup group, this is a Microsoft Exchange mail system one...
Regards,
RCC

1. !!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!

[...]

2. Recipient container question.....

3. NTBACKUP command line for online backup batch file

4. Exchange 5.5 SMTP problems

5. 2k Batch NTbackup of Exchange 5.5

6. outlook 2002 / Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Problem

7. Problem to use NTbackup in batch mode

8. Remote Backup Exchange Problem

9. Batch file for ntbackup of exchange server

10. NTBackup .edb files via batch?

11. Batch backup of Exchange data stores using NTBACKUP

12. Batch file backup of IS with ntbackup

13. NTBackup of Exchange (in batch file)