Can Exchange 2000 run on a Domain Controller?

Can Exchange 2000 run on a Domain Controller?

Post by David Johnsto » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:45:05

In our production environment, we have separate domain controllers and mail
(Exchange 2000) server.  We are deciding what servers are necessary in a
disaster-recovery environment.  We don't see a need to replicate each &
every server at the warm site, so we are exploring what functions can be
combined.

That said, will Exchange 2000 play well on the same server as a domain
controller, and possibly serving shared folders as well?  (If it matters, we
are running Active directory in a single-domain setting).

Thanks!!

Can Exchange 2000 run on a Domain Controller?

Post by Gary McDonnel » Fri, 05 Jul 2002 12:58:01

Yes, Exchange can run on a domain controller and/or a server that has shared
folders as well. I don't know how large your user community is, but I have a
client with about 175 users who has no problem with this setup in a
production environment. They do have a secondary domain controller, but it's
a small box that doesn't do anything else.

As in most situations, the more horsepower your server has in this case the
better. Hardware RAID, gobs of RAM (1GB+), multiple processors, etc. make
this more feasible. The actual requirements depend on the size of your user
base.

As an aside, for disaster recovery you should also consider a backup mail
service. For about $10/yr you can have someone like Zone Edit
(http://zoneedit.com) be an alternate SMTP server for your domain. They will
hold the mail and when your server comes back up the mail will be delivered.

Good luck! /gary mcdonnell

In our production environment, we have separate domain controllers and mail
(Exchange 2000) server.  We are deciding what servers are necessary in a
disaster-recovery environment.  We don't see a need to replicate each &
every server at the warm site, so we are exploring what functions can be
combined.

That said, will Exchange 2000 play well on the same server as a domain
controller, and possibly serving shared folders as well?  (If it matters, we
are running Active directory in a single-domain setting).

Thanks!!

1. Need help Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 server (2nd domain controller on domain)

Trying to install Backoffice and Exchange 5.5 on WIN2k Server.

Server is 2nd domain controller on one domain
Admin rights already set for exchange administrator to entire domain.

Server is member then promoted to 2nd domain controller of domain.
then I install Backoffice and will not install.

Tried readiness kit upgraded Site Server and installed FrontPage.
Server is SP1 already all updates applied prior to install.

Will not install past 55% both on BACKOFFICE and when I try to install only
Exchange 5.5 from 5th CD.

HELP

2. ISSCAN

3. Exchange 2000 machine cant communicate with AD controller unless run both on sam

4. Public Folder Article - Sue Mosher

5. Windows 2000 AD domain controller domain NetBIOS name change

6. Creating shared calendar

7. Exchange 2003 Lab Domain running with Exchange 2000 Production Domain

8. Exchange 5.0 and proxy server

9. Should Exch 2K be run on a domain controller

10. System Attendant not running - cant find domain controller

11. Can Exchange2k run on a Domain Controller?

12. No longer existing 2000 Domain Controller and Exch 2000

13. Exchange 2000 server loses Domain Controller