SMTP attempting to send outbound mail to web server, not mail server

SMTP attempting to send outbound mail to web server, not mail server

Post by mkdwye » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:26:15

My Win2k SMTP is having a problem delivering email to other domains. Can
anyone explian why my SMTP is attempting to send mail to a web server IP,
and not the proper mail server IP?

When attempting delivery, there is no response to the HELO by the
destination server. I snooped the connection to the internet to see what was
going on, and found that my SMTP is trying to send mail to the destination
domain's web server, not it's mail server.

I then scrolled back to see the DNS query sequence for the remote domain. My
machine sends a single DNS query, and I do get a DNS response with the IP of
the host domain, but no mention of the mail IP (MX record). Then my SMTP
server then uses this host IP in an attempt to send mail, which fails the
connection attempt. Specifically, when sending mail to pacbell.net, I see
the DNS answer back with 151.164.129.3, and then my smtp server attempt to
send mail using that ip, which the connection attaempt fails. When doing a
nslookup on pacbells MX records, I get the correct mail servers for pacbell
(mta1.snfc21.pbi.net = 206.13.28.142 and others). BTW, similar failure mode
happens for all outgoing mail domains, not just pacbell.

Thanks

1. Bridgehead server not sending mail to mailbox server quickly enough SMTP

W2k sp3
E2k sp3

We are having a performance problem in the SMTP virtual server in our
Bridgehead server. The queue that delivers mail to our mailbox server is
filling up. The connect times are getting less and less frequent and fewer
messages are getting through. It all seemed to start when we lost comm
between our servers due to a possible problems with the router between
subnets. Now the bridgehead server (and servers) event system log is getting
a lot of 8032 errors "The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup
list too many times on transport NetBT-Tcpip. The backup browser is
stopping."

I have looked up this problem in EventID and Microsoft's site and none of
the solutions seem to be related to the events.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where we can go from here.

Thank you,

Ken

2. Compact Edb's

3. can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

4. Exchange and Backup Exec 7.2

5. Lotus Note Mail Server can not send mail to Exchange 2000 Server

6. POP3 clients and exchange

7. Routing smtp outbound mail to internet mail service server

8. Exchange 5.0 Upgrade corrupted mailboxes - HELP!

9. IMS Outbound SMTP Mail not sending?

10. outbound SMTP still not sending all mail

11. SMTP does not send some outbound mail

12. smtp virtual server ques, external mail not sending...

13. Users on 2nd Exchange server not able to send smtp mails