Allowing Anyone To use Exchange for Sending Mail

Allowing Anyone To use Exchange for Sending Mail

Post by Jamie Sutherland-Wes » Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:21:12

Hi,
I currently run Exchange Server 5.5 & NT Server 4. How do I set it Exchange
so that any anonymous user can send email through it.

Thanks
Jamie Sutherland

Allowing Anyone To use Exchange for Sending Mail

Post by Huw Davie » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:06:13

Quote:> Hi,
> I currently run Exchange Server 5.5 & NT Server 4. How do I set it
Exchange
> so that any anonymous user can send email through it.

Let's just check here ... You want to allow ANYONE to send mail
through your mail server...

Huw

Allowing Anyone To use Exchange for Sending Mail

Post by Jamie Sutherlan » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:21:33

Hi,
Yes, What it is that when a user comes onto our website there is a form for
them to fill in and if you have not been authenticated by the web server
then you get permission denied error. If  you authenticate then you can send
email. So I need ANYONE to be able to send mail throough my mail server.
Unless anyone has another way of doing this..

Thanks
Jamie Sutherland

> > Hi,
> > I currently run Exchange Server 5.5 & NT Server 4. How do I set it
> Exchange
> > so that any anonymous user can send email through it.

> Let's just check here ... You want to allow ANYONE to send mail
> through your mail server...

> Huw

Allowing Anyone To use Exchange for Sending Mail

Post by ROU Dead of Nigh » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 00:36:58

Well, if you allow *anyone* to send email through your email server, then
*anyone* will indeed do it.

I have just 'converted' a client's Exchange Server from dial up to a
permanent web connection - it took only eight hours before a * company
had discovered this and was attempting to relay spam through it.

You need to explain a little more about this application running on your
webserver - surely someone visiting a website from the internet would have a
local email client installed ?

> Hi,
> Yes, What it is that when a user comes onto our website there is a form
for
> them to fill in and if you have not been authenticated by the web server
> then you get permission denied error. If  you authenticate then you can
send
> email. So I need ANYONE to be able to send mail throough my mail server.
> Unless anyone has another way of doing this..

> Thanks
> Jamie Sutherland

> > > Hi,
> > > I currently run Exchange Server 5.5 & NT Server 4. How do I set it
> > Exchange
> > > so that any anonymous user can send email through it.

> > Let's just check here ... You want to allow ANYONE to send mail
> > through your mail server...

> > Huw

Allowing Anyone To use Exchange for Sending Mail

Post by Bob Bel » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 04:10:20

This is the problem you need to fix.   NOT allowing anyone to send
email via your email server..    Why not make the Web Form use
CDONTS or the Exchange Pickup Dir (giving the web server service
write permission to it..)..   Your problem lies with your web site, and
permissions with what your trying to do, not with exchange..