Adding users/external internet addresses to the global address list

Adding users/external internet addresses to the global address list

Post by IT112 » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having difficulty when trying to add entries to the Exchange server 5.5
global address list from an Outlook 97 client, it gives an access denied
message. This means that anytime I want to add entries I have to go to the
Exchange server.

Is there a way that I can give rights or fix it in some way so that I can
add entries from the client.

Thanks,

David Crawley.

Adding users/external internet addresses to the global address list

Post by Nick Cavalanci » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

A client can only modify Distribution Lists (providing they have been given
access) in the GAL.  The only way to add entries to the GAl is via Exch
Admin.

HTH

--
Nick Cavalancia
MCNE/MCNI/MCSE/MCT

(954) 439-5061
(954) 791-6763 Fax

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm having difficulty when trying to add entries to the Exchange server
5.5
> global address list from an Outlook 97 client, it gives an access denied
> message. This means that anytime I want to add entries I have to go to the
> Exchange server.

> Is there a way that I can give rights or fix it in some way so that I can
> add entries from the client.

> Thanks,

> David Crawley.

Adding users/external internet addresses to the global address list

Post by Andrew Bettan » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Not wanting to hijack, hopefully this may be use to David(?)
I've heard that you can run Exchange Admin from a client (with Admin priv
etc)
If this is true please advise how

Andrew

> A client can only modify Distribution Lists (providing they have been
given
> access) in the GAL.  The only way to add entries to the GAl is via Exch
> Admin.

> HTH

> --
> Nick Cavalancia
> MCNE/MCNI/MCSE/MCT
> Comsphere, Inc.

> (954) 439-5061
> (954) 791-6763 Fax

> > Hi,

> > I'm having difficulty when trying to add entries to the Exchange server
> 5.5
> > global address list from an Outlook 97 client, it gives an access denied
> > message. This means that anytime I want to add entries I have to go to
the
> > Exchange server.

> > Is there a way that I can give rights or fix it in some way so that I
can
> > add entries from the client.

> > Thanks,

> > David Crawley.

Adding users/external internet addresses to the global address list

Post by Ron Spadafora - MC » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 17:25:12 +0100, "Andrew Bettany"

>Not wanting to hijack, hopefully this may be use to David(?)
>I've heard that you can run Exchange Admin from a client (with Admin priv
>etc)
>If this is true please advise how

Just run the setup program from the exchange cd, and select custom
setup.  Deselect all but the Exchange administrator.

>Andrew

>> A client can only modify Distribution Lists (providing they have been
>given
>> access) in the GAL.  The only way to add entries to the GAl is via Exch
>> Admin.

>> HTH

>> --
>> Nick Cavalancia
>> MCNE/MCNI/MCSE/MCT
>> Comsphere, Inc.

>> (954) 439-5061
>> (954) 791-6763 Fax

>> > Hi,

>> > I'm having difficulty when trying to add entries to the Exchange server
>> 5.5
>> > global address list from an Outlook 97 client, it gives an access denied
>> > message. This means that anytime I want to add entries I have to go to
>the
>> > Exchange server.

>> > Is there a way that I can give rights or fix it in some way so that I
>can
>> > add entries from the client.

>> > Thanks,

>> > David Crawley.

Ronald J. Spadafora, Jr.
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer +I

Adding users/external internet addresses to the global address list

Post by Amiri Jon » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Not wanting to hijack, hopefully this may be use to David(?)
>I've heard that you can run Exchange Admin from a client (with Admin
>priv etc)
>If this is true please advise how

        On any NT Workstation or Server machine, you can run the Exchange
Server setup program, do a Custom installation, and install only the
administration program.  This is not possible from a Win9x machine.