IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connection tab ?

IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connection tab ?

Post by Pim » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to setup Exchange Server 5.5 with Internet Mail Service.
I however do not understand the difference between the Routing tab and
the Message Delivery section of the Connections tab, both part of
IMS Properties.

As I see it, with the Message Delivery options I can reroute mail based on
on the domain name of the destination (either to a hardcoded host, or to
a host of choice by using DNS MX-records).
However, the Routing tab also allows me to reroute mail based on the
domain name of the destination (either to a hardcoded host, or to
a host of choice using a custom routing program).

Anyone on this ?

Please mail me personally. Thanks in advance,

P. Leenders
R&D
The Netherlands

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I'm trying to setup Exchange Server 5.5 with Internet Mail Service.
>I however do not understand the difference between the Routing tab and
>the Message Delivery section of the Connections tab, both part of
>IMS Properties.

The "Routing" tab contins instruction on how to handle message that
the IMS _receives_. The Message delivery stuff on the "Connections"
tab details how handle messages the IMS _sends_.

Quote:>As I see it, with the Message Delivery options I can reroute mail based on
>on the domain name of the destination (either to a hardcoded host, or to
>a host of choice by using DNS MX-records).

That's correct. That's for outgoing mail

Quote:>However, the Routing tab also allows me to reroute mail based on the
>domain name of the destination (either to a hardcoded host, or to
>a host of choice using a custom routing program).

And that's for incoming mail.

IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connection tab ?

Post by P. Leender » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Thanks Rich !

1. IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connection tab ?

I'm trying to setup Exchange Server 5.5 with Internet Mail Service.
I however do not understand the difference between the Routing tab and
the Message Delivery section of the Connections tab, both part of
IMS Properties.

As I see it, with the Message Delivery options I can reroute mail based on
on the domain name of the destination (either to a hardcoded host, or to
a host of choice by using DNS MX-records).
However, the Routing tab also allows me to reroute mail based on the
domain name of the destination (either to a hardcoded host, or to
a host of choice using a custom routing program).

Anyone on this ?

Please mail me personally. Thanks in advance,

P. Leenders
R&D
The Netherlands

2. can't send SMTP mail from Outlook or Exchange Client

3. IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connections tab ?

4. Minimizing Exchange Impact with Windows 2000 Server

5. directory replication

6. IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connection tab ?

7. unable to send mail

8. IMS: Difference between Routing tab and Connections tab ?

9. IMS - Connections Tab, "Accept Connections"

10. Routing / Connections Tab help

11. No Routing tab in IMS

12. routing restrictions tab in ims