Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

Post by jim » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:07:10

I've got a 5.5 server (SP4 on NT4 SP6) that's quickly running out of disk
space.  There are only 12 mailboxes homed on this server.  If i look at the
mailbox resources under the server object, these 12 mailboxes only use about
6 megs worth of disk space, yet the PRIV.EDB is over 875 megs!!  How do i
clean up the priv so i can get back what seems to be a lot of wasted space?

Thanks in advance!

jim

Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

Post by Gary William » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:27:03

Quote:> I've got a 5.5 server (SP4 on NT4 SP6) that's quickly running
> out of disk
> space.  There are only 12 mailboxes homed on this server.  If
> i look at the
> mailbox resources under the server object, these 12 mailboxes
> only use about
> 6 megs worth of disk space, yet the PRIV.EDB is over 875
> megs!!  How do i
> clean up the priv so i can get back what seems to be a lot of
> wasted space?

> Thanks in advance!

Stop the Exchange services and ESEUTIL

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q192185

--
Gary Williams

Visit http://www.gdwnet.com for IT articles about real-world issues.
Please keep discussions in the newsgroup.
Backup everything before making any changes - Just in case!!!
Have you looked at http://groups.google.com? - The answer you seek is
probably there!

Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

Post by jim » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:25:31

Can i use free space on a mapped drive, or does it have to be a local drive?

> Use the ESEUTIL to perform an offline defragmentation of the database, and
> you'll need some free space to do this, as it creates a temporary
database..
> But note that, as users use the system, it'll only start increasing in
size
> again.

> --
> Neil Hobson
> Silversands

> http://www.silversands.co.uk

> > I've got a 5.5 server (SP4 on NT4 SP6) that's quickly running out of
disk
> > space.  There are only 12 mailboxes homed on this server.  If i look at
> the
> > mailbox resources under the server object, these 12 mailboxes only use
> about
> > 6 megs worth of disk space, yet the PRIV.EDB is over 875 megs!!  How do
> > clean up the priv so i can get back what seems to be a lot of wasted
> space?

> > Thanks in advance!

> > jim

Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

It can be a mapped drive.

Post by Neil Hobso » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:14:17

Use the ESEUTIL to perform an offline defragmentation of the database, and
you'll need some free space to do this, as it creates a temporary database..
But note that, as users use the system, it'll only start increasing in size
again.

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

Quote:> I've got a 5.5 server (SP4 on NT4 SP6) that's quickly running out of disk
> space.  There are only 12 mailboxes homed on this server.  If i look at
the
> mailbox resources under the server object, these 12 mailboxes only use
about
> 6 megs worth of disk space, yet the PRIV.EDB is over 875 megs!!  How do i
> clean up the priv so i can get back what seems to be a lot of wasted
space?

> Thanks in advance!

> jim

Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

Post by Neil Hobso » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:34:24

I think you can specify the location of the tempdfrg.edb file with the /t
switch, but you can check this by running eseutil /?

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

> Can i use free space on a mapped drive, or does it have to be a local
drive?

> > Use the ESEUTIL to perform an offline defragmentation of the database,
and
> > you'll need some free space to do this, as it creates a temporary
> database..
> > But note that, as users use the system, it'll only start increasing in
> size
> > again.

> > --
> > Neil Hobson
> > Silversands

> > http://www.silversands.co.uk

> > > I've got a 5.5 server (SP4 on NT4 SP6) that's quickly running out of
> disk
> > > space.  There are only 12 mailboxes homed on this server.  If i look
at
> > the
> > > mailbox resources under the server object, these 12 mailboxes only use
> > about
> > > 6 megs worth of disk space, yet the PRIV.EDB is over 875 megs!!  How
do
> > > clean up the priv so i can get back what seems to be a lot of wasted
> > space?

> > > Thanks in advance!

> > > jim

Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

Post by Susa » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 02:08:58

yep - just takes a little longer...

> It can be a mapped drive.

> > Can i use free space on a mapped drive, or does it have to be a local
> drive?

> > > Use the ESEUTIL to perform an offline defragmentation of the database,
> and
> > > you'll need some free space to do this, as it creates a temporary
> > database..
> > > But note that, as users use the system, it'll only start increasing in
> > size
> > > again.

> > > --
> > > Neil Hobson
> > > Silversands

> > > http://www.silversands.co.uk

> > disk
> at
> > > the
> > > about
> do
> > > space?

1. Why isn't my Priv.edb shrinking??

I've got a 5.5 server (SP4 on NT4 SP6) that's quickly running out of disk
space.  There are only 12 mailboxes homed on this server.  If i look at the
mailbox resources under the server object, these 12 mailboxes only use about
6 megs worth of disk space, yet the PRIV.EDB is over 875 megs!!  How do i
clean up the priv so i can get back what seems to be a lot of wasted space?

Thanks in advance!

jim

2. The Personal Addresses book problem!!!!

3. Question on shrinking the priv and pub edb's

4. Exchange client can't connect through DUN- fixed it

5. priv.edb can't shrink

6. Exchange 2000 DL's

7. Why doesn't the priv.edb change size

8. Dumb question from a new guy

9. Shrinking the size of the Priv.edb

10. shrink priv.edb

11. IS Maintenence shrink priv.edb?

12. Deleting large accounts does not shrink priv.edb

13. shrinking priv.edb