Email Abuse

Post by Peter Diamon » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:43:17

Hello,
Someone outside of our company is sending email using one
of our email addresses as the From: or Reply To:
address.  We are receiving the undeliverable messages
when they bounce back.  Using the SMTP logs, I have
traced the person and know their IP address and ISP.
I have contacted the ISP (a large national telecom
provider) but have been unable to get any information
about this user or any help from them in getting this to
stop.
What options do I have to stop this?
Thanks.

Peter Diamond
System Administrator

Email Abuse

Post by Shogh » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:59:46

check the "OPEN REALY AGENT" posted by chad g.

Quote:> Hello,
> Someone outside of our company is sending email using one
> of our email addresses as the From: or Reply To:
> address.  We are receiving the undeliverable messages
> when they bounce back.  Using the SMTP logs, I have
> traced the person and know their IP address and ISP.
> I have contacted the ISP (a large national telecom
> provider) but have been unable to get any information
> about this user or any help from them in getting this to
> stop.
> What options do I have to stop this?
> Thanks.

> Peter Diamond
> System Administrator

Email Abuse

Post by Dave Patric » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 02:01:11

You might try http://spamcop.net/ The problem is that more then half the ISP's could care less about
spam or e-mail abuse.

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

 Hello, Someone outside of our company is sending email using one of our email addresses as the
From: or Reply To: address.  We are receiving the undeliverable messages when they bounce back.
Using the SMTP logs, I have traced the person and know their IP address and ISP.I have contacted the
ISP (a large national telecom provider) but have been unable to get any information about this user
or any help from them in getting this to stop. What options do I have to stop this? Thanks.
Peter Diamond System Administrator

Email Abuse

Post by ms new » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 05:28:51

I agree with Shoghi.  It sounds like you exchange is set up badly.  It
allows relaying.  Pretty soon you'll get blacklisted and then your legitmate
mail will get bounced from ISP's

Quote:> Hello,
> Someone outside of our company is sending email using one
> of our email addresses as the From: or Reply To:
> address.  We are receiving the undeliverable messages
> when they bounce back.  Using the SMTP logs, I have
> traced the person and know their IP address and ISP.
> I have contacted the ISP (a large national telecom
> provider) but have been unable to get any information
> about this user or any help from them in getting this to
> stop.
> What options do I have to stop this?
> Thanks.

> Peter Diamond
> System Administrator

Email Abuse

Post by EveningSta » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:07:33

Quote:> I agree with Shoghi.  It sounds like you exchange is set up badly.  It
> allows relaying.  Pretty soon you'll get blacklisted and then your
legitmate
> mail will get bounced from ISP's

Not necessarily.  The email message could be bouncing from anywhere with the
From and Reply-To headers set to anywhere else.

While it is always advisable to configure SMTP services to prevent relays,
it is also important to complain to and about the right people.  The domain
given in the From and Reply-To headers may be an entirely innocent victim.
You've got to look at the Received headers.
--
David*inson
EveningStar Information Services

Summary of Microsoft Security Bulletins
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Email Abuse

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:02:00

>Someone outside of our company is sending email using one
>of our email addresses as the From: or Reply To:
>address.

Isn't that a PITA?

Quote:>We are receiving the undeliverable messages
>when they bounce back.  Using the SMTP logs, I have
>traced the person and know their IP address and ISP.
>I have contacted the ISP (a large national telecom
>provider) but have been unable to get any information
>about this user or any help from them in getting this to
>stop.
>What options do I have to stop this?

Not many. If the ISP won't cancel the account you cannot prevent
anyone from using any address they like. It's the nature of SMTP.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Email Abuse

Hello,
Someone outside of our company is sending email using one
of our email addresses as the From: or Reply To:
address.  We are receiving the undeliverable messages
when they bounce back.  Using the SMTP logs, I have
traced the person and know their IP address and ISP.
I have contacted the ISP (a large national telecom
provider) but have been unable to get any information
about this user or any help from them in getting this to
stop.
What options do I have to stop this?
Thanks.

Peter Diamond
System Administrator

2. Can't Connect to OWA

3. user email abuse

4. Encrypted mail from Exchange Server to an ISP mail box

5. abuse and postmaster

6. Exchange server side virus scanners

7. Protecting Distribution Lists abuse from Internet

8. Importing Data from an *.ost - file

9. Am I blocking mail-abuse.org?

10. I've been blacklisted by mail-abuse.org - SMTP AUTH question

11. Administrator Abuse

12. Spammer abusing our domain-name

13. relaying abuse