Renaming an Exchange server

Post by Elliot Paterso » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Am I correct in thinking that an NT Server (4.0) running Exchange Server
(5.5) cannot be renamed without reinstalling Exchange?
I ask because I have a software package that requires a shorter server name
than is currently in use (unbelievable but true).
If I simply rename the server the Exchange DS will not load and the error
messages say I must put the server name back again. I have no problem
reinstalling Exchange if that's the only way out but it does seem abit
extreme.
Is there any alternative?

Many thanks,

--
Elliot Paterson

Renaming an Exchange server

Post by Jonathan Reise » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What does your software package do? If it's a UNIX-based e-mail reader,
I think you can use the Exchange Admin program to fool these packages
into thinking the server has a shorter name. I have never had to use it
so unfortunately I forget where it is. I hope this can point you in a
direction that is helpful.

Renaming an Exchange server

Post by Ron Spadafora - MC » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:08:51 -0000, "Elliot Paterson"

>Hi all,

>Am I correct in thinking that an NT Server (4.0) running Exchange Server
>(5.5) cannot be renamed without reinstalling Exchange?
>I ask because I have a software package that requires a shorter server name
>than is currently in use (unbelievable but true).
>If I simply rename the server the Exchange DS will not load and the error
>messages say I must put the server name back again. I have no problem
>reinstalling Exchange if that's the only way out but it does seem abit
>extreme.
>Is there any alternative?

>Many thanks,

Yes, you must reinstall Exchange if you change the name of the server.
There is no getting around this one.

Ronald J. Spadafora, Jr.
MCP, MCP +I, MCSE, MCSE +I

1. Server Rename on Exchange Server

Hello!

We have to rename our Server, but do we have to re-install the Exchange
Server or what do we have to do?

Thanks in advance,

PS:  If anyone had this experience could you tell us what are the difficult
things you faced...

2. Exchange 2003 token supplied is invalid

3. Renaming an Exchange Server

4. Mapisend error code 21

5. Renamed W2K exchange server...

6. OWA session Timeout

7. Renaming the Exchange Server info Store

8. mailbox

9. Rename an exchange server....

10. How to rename a Exchange server

11. Renaming an Exchange server

12. Renaming the Exchange Server

13. Is it possible to rename our exchange server?