Exchange 2k Servers wont talk to each other.

Exchange 2k Servers wont talk to each other.

Post by Con Reill » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:51:28

I recentely installed a new exchange server into my
organization. I am ready to move some mailboxes over to
it, but when I move over my test mail box it cannont
receive email from the outside world, nor can it get mail
from the other server accounts. Also when it sends mail to
accounts on the other server they get stuck in the SMTP
queue as well. Mail from the new server is able to make it
to the outside world with no issues. Any help, I am
running a single domain, i have tried everything i can
from connectors to routing groups to running telnet
commands between the 2. Everything seems to be working
fine but within the system when they wanna trade email the
one server will drop the connection with the other server.

Con

Exchange 2k Servers wont talk to each other.

Post by Jeff Chen (MS » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:10:21

Hello Con,

Thank you for requesting support for Exchange 2000 Server.

To provide you with a more accurate answer, would you please help me
collect the following information? I appreciate your time.

1. Please check the Queue again.

Run Exchange System Manager and then expand the SMTP virtual server. Please
let me know which queue the email is in. In addition, please check the
property of the queue and let me know the exact description.

2. Please let me know what emails are queued. Does the problem occur when
you send emails to the internal users which are in the same Exchange
Server? Does the problem occur when you send emails to ourside of your
Exchange Server? Let us try the following tests:

- Please create two Users on the new Exchange server: A and B. I assume
that you move User C from the old Exchange Server and there is another User
D on the old Exchange Server.
- Does the problem occur when you send from A to B? Does it happen when A
sends to himself?
- Does the problem occur when you send from A to C or from C to A?
- Does the problem happen when sending from A to D?
- Does it happen when sending from C to D?
- Does it happen when sending from D to A or C?

3. Please enable the Diagnostic Logging.

a. Open the Registry Editor
b. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current
ControlSet\Services\MSExchangeTransport\Diagnostics
c. After copying down the values of all items in Diagnostics, set all items
(except for the default item) to a value of 7
d. In the Services applet, stop the Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP)
service
e. Restart the Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine Service
f. Start the Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) service

Please send an email again, save the Application Log as .evt file and send
it to me for reference.

4. Do you receive any NDRs? If so, please save them to .msg files and send
them to me for reference.

5. In addition, I suggest you read the following Microsoft Knowledge
article which has the very detailed troubleshooting method on this issue.
Would you please let me know the testing results when you finish the
troubleshooting?

281800 XCON: Troubleshooting Message Failures in Exchange 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281800

6. I would appreciate it if you can describe your Exchange organizations in
more detail. For example, how many Exchange Servers are there? What are
their versions and service pack levels?

7. Please use WinRoute on the problematic Exchange Server to capture the
routing information. For more information, please refer to the following KB
article:

281382 XCON: How to Use the WinRoute Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281382

Please save the result to .rte file and send it to me for reference.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Jeff Chen
Microsoft Online Support Engineer

from your issue.

Exchange 2k Servers wont talk to each other.

Post by Con Reill » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 02:44:11

Jeff,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

Here is a breakdown of what you asked for.

1. I'll start with the last question first, my
organization breaks down like this. I have 2 Exchange 2000
Servers one is standard the new one is Enterprise. I have
1 primary DC which isn't on the old exchange server but
the old exchange server does act as a DC. The old exchange
server is running SP2 and the new Enterprise exchange
server is running SP3. I would upgrade he old exchange
server but its in a state right now where i don't really
want to mess with it.

2. I have sent you the Winroute information, and the
app.evt info as well. I sent winroute info from both
servers.

3. I do not receive any NDR's. The only NDR's i am
receiving are delay messages.

4. The emails that are queued are those that try and go
between servers. I created 2 more accounts on the new
server, when i mailed from A to B it worked fine when i
mailed from B to C worked fine and from C to A worked fine
as well. But from A to D or from D to B, they got stuck in
the opposite server queues. As well as with the "Server"-
IS mails as well. Sending mail outside the organization
works fine. Sending mail to the box's on the new server
from outside does not work. This is mainly because we use
a forwarder q-mail server which forwards all mail to the
old server.

5. The names of the queues are as follows where the mail
gets stuck.
Servername: Mrsmith
mail.divxnetworks.com
Servername: Mail
mrsmith.divxnetworks.com

The properties page shows "the connection was dropped by
the remote host.

Any help you have with this issue is much appreciated.

Con

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello Con,

>Thank you for requesting support for Exchange 2000 Server.

>To provide you with a more accurate answer, would you
please help me
>collect the following information? I appreciate your time.

>1. Please check the Queue again.

>Run Exchange System Manager and then expand the SMTP

virtual server. Please
Quote:>let me know which queue the email is in. In addition,
please check the
>property of the queue and let me know the exact
description.

>2. Please let me know what emails are queued. Does the
problem occur when
>you send emails to the internal users which are in the
same Exchange
>Server? Does the problem occur when you send emails to
ourside of your
>Exchange Server? Let us try the following tests:

>- Please create two Users on the new Exchange server: A
and B. I assume
>that you move User C from the old Exchange Server and

there is another User

Quote:>D on the old Exchange Server.
>- Does the problem occur when you send from A to B? Does
it happen when A
>sends to himself?
>- Does the problem occur when you send from A to C or
from C to A?
>- Does the problem happen when sending from A to D?
>- Does it happen when sending from C to D?
>- Does it happen when sending from D to A or C?

>3. Please enable the Diagnostic Logging.

>a. Open the Registry Editor
>b. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current
>ControlSet\Services\MSExchangeTransport\Diagnostics
>c. After copying down the values of all items in

Diagnostics, set all items
Quote:>(except for the default item) to a value of 7
>d. In the Services applet, stop the Simple Mail Transport
Protocol (SMTP)
>service
>e. Restart the Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine Service
>f. Start the Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) service

>Please send an email again, save the Application Log

as .evt file and send
Quote:>it to me for reference.

>4. Do you receive any NDRs? If so, please save them

to .msg files and send
Quote:>them to me for reference.

>5. In addition, I suggest you read the following

Microsoft Knowledge
Quote:>article which has the very detailed troubleshooting

method on this issue.
Quote:>Would you please let me know the testing results when you
finish the
>troubleshooting?

>281800 XCON: Troubleshooting Message Failures in Exchange
2000
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281800

>6. I would appreciate it if you can describe your

Exchange organizations in
Quote:>more detail. For example, how many Exchange Servers are
there? What are
>their versions and service pack levels?

>7. Please use WinRoute on the problematic Exchange Server
to capture the
>routing information. For more information, please refer

to the following KB

Quote:>article:

>281382 XCON: How to Use the WinRoute Tool
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=281382

>Please save the result to .rte file and send it to me for
reference.

>I am looking forward to your reply.

>Best regards,

>Jeff Chen
>Microsoft Online Support Engineer

>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

>When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
>your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
>from your issue.
confers no rights.

>.

Exchange 2k Servers wont talk to each other.

Post by Con Reill » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:13:23

Ok i just figured out my issue. It had to deal with using
a smarthost that i was using. I was forwarding all mail to
the smart host which is a linux q-mail box. The box was
using an external DNS source and not an internal DNS
Source. When i put a check in the box that says attempt
local delivery before sending to smarthost everything
worked fine. Issue is tho when i have that selected some
mail doesn't go out to other domains such as AOl or
hotmail.

it just kinda gets lost.

So its easiest for me to keep it up on the smarthost. I
think that i just need to set in the external DNS box the
ip addresses, of the servers that are internal.

Con

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Jeff,

>Thanks so much for the quick reply.

>Here is a breakdown of what you asked for.

>1. I'll start with the last question first, my
>organization breaks down like this. I have 2 Exchange
2000
>Servers one is standard the new one is Enterprise. I have
>1 primary DC which isn't on the old exchange server but
>the old exchange server does act as a DC. The old
exchange
>server is running SP2 and the new Enterprise exchange
>server is running SP3. I would upgrade he old exchange
>server but its in a state right now where i don't really
>want to mess with it.

>2. I have sent you the Winroute information, and the
>app.evt info as well. I sent winroute info from both
>servers.

>3. I do not receive any NDR's. The only NDR's i am
>receiving are delay messages.

>4. The emails that are queued are those that try and go
>between servers. I created 2 more accounts on the new
>server, when i mailed from A to B it worked fine when i
>mailed from B to C worked fine and from C to A worked
fine
>as well. But from A to D or from D to B, they got stuck
in
>the opposite server queues. As well as with the "Server"-
>IS mails as well. Sending mail outside the organization
>works fine. Sending mail to the box's on the new server
>from outside does not work. This is mainly because we use
>a forwarder q-mail server which forwards all mail to the
>old server.

>5. The names of the queues are as follows where the mail
>gets stuck.
>Servername: Mrsmith
>mail.divxnetworks.com
>Servername: Mail
>mrsmith.divxnetworks.com

>The properties page shows "the connection was dropped by
>the remote host.

>Any help you have with this issue is much appreciated.

>Con

Post by Jeff Chen (MS » Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:55:20

Hello Con,

Thank you for your prompt update and I am glad to hear that you have found
the culprit. We are so happy to have such responsible and experienced
customers like you.

Yes, we need to configure the External and Internal DNS on the smarthost
since you forward all emails to this Linux box. However, the "Attempt
direct delivery before sending to smart host" may bring some problems since
each email will attempt to send emails directly. I suspect the Hotmail and
AOL issues are caused by it. Therefore, I suggest you configure External
and Internal DNS on the smart host and uncheck the "Attempt direct delivery
before sending to smart host" box. Is the problem resolved?