Undoing Exchange Server 5 Service Pack 2

Undoing Exchange Server 5 Service Pack 2

Post by Reymundo Arquez » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I applied a service pack 2 that I downloaded from microsoft's web site.
When I did this, I didn't understand the difference between 128 bit vs. 40
bit at the time.  After I attended Microsoft's Update 98, I discovered that
"applying service packs with 40 bit on top of US version should NOT BE
DONE".

How do I undo this 40 bit service pack 2?  Do you think that buying the 128
bit service pack 2 cd from microsoft, and running the US 128 bit version
will fix this incorrect service pack?

Rey

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I applied a service pack 2 that I downloaded from microsoft's web site.
>When I did this, I didn't understand the difference between 128 bit vs. 40
>bit at the time.  After I attended Microsoft's Update 98, I discovered that
>"applying service packs with 40 bit on top of US version should NOT BE
>DONE".

>How do I undo this 40 bit service pack 2?  Do you think that buying the 128
>bit service pack 2 cd from microsoft, and running the US 128 bit version
>will fix this incorrect service pack?

Yes, it will. The only other way to undo this is to restore the backup
you took before installing SP2.

Undoing Exchange Server 5 Service Pack 2

Post by Tom Pearso » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

The difference between the 40 bit and 128 bit service packs is in the
client only.  There is no difference between them in what you applied to
your server.

> I applied a service pack 2 that I downloaded from microsoft's web site.
> When I did this, I didn't understand the difference between 128 bit vs. 40
> bit at the time.  After I attended Microsoft's Update 98, I discovered that
> "applying service packs with 40 bit on top of US version should NOT BE
> DONE".

> How do I undo this 40 bit service pack 2?  Do you think that buying the 128
> bit service pack 2 cd from microsoft, and running the US 128 bit version
> will fix this incorrect service pack?

> Rey

1. To Service Pack or not to Service Pack

I run both successfully.

NT 4.0 SP2 is a little tricky, but runs fine.  If you run any virus protection software on the server you will want to get the Post
SP2 Kernel hotfix from the FTP site ftp://ftp.microsoft.com.

There have been several users who had problems installing NT 4.0 SP2.  Without much correlation, installing from the CD has been
safer than installing from a network share.  Installing from a system already at SP1 has been safer than installing to raw NT 4.0.
Our local record is 7-2 in favor of no problems.

Exchange SP3 has been much easier.  It does require Exchange SP2 though.

regards
Andy

Simpler-Webb, Inc.   Austin, TX            512-322-0071
     "The clue meter is reading zero..." - Dilbert

2. 'Reply To All' sends me a mail too???

3. Ex;change service pack and NT service pack

4. SMTP or POP or what?

5. memory leak on STORE.EXE running Exchange Server 5.0 Service Pack 2 on NT 4.0 Server (Service Pack 3)

6. I have a stumper with OE and Exchange Server

7. Exchange Server 5.5 (service pack 3) Questions

8. OWA logon problem

9. Anti-Virus Interface (Exchange Server 5.5 Service Pack 3)

10. Installing Service Pack 2 on Exchange Server 5.5

11. Service Pack 2 for Exchange Server 5.0 - loading problems

12. Installation of Exchange Server Service Pack 2

13. Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 1