Exchange Server Licensing for wireless apps

Exchange Server Licensing for wireless apps

Post by Eric Anderso » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Is there any printable or viewable Microsoft authorized information or
guidelines available to Wireless Application Service Providers to help
plan compliance?  The application in question is called "Blackberry".
It is a combo of hardware and software that supply users with instant
mobile corporate e-mail.

Exchange Server Licensing for wireless apps

Post by Andy Web » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

A Blackberry used in conjunction with Exchange requires a mailbox license
for each user.  You don't need two licenses as I understand the Exchange 5.5
EULA, but you certainly need one.

Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Quote:> Is there any printable or viewable Microsoft authorized information or
> guidelines available to Wireless Application Service Providers to help
> plan compliance?  The application in question is called "Blackberry".
> It is a combo of hardware and software that supply users with instant
> mobile corporate e-mail.

1. License Group/Licensing for Windows Server and Exchange Server

Here is my scenario (my apologies in advance for the length)

We have a mix of Windows NT Server 4.0 and Windows 2000 Server
machines. All of them are set to Per Seat licensing.

We have Exchange Server 5.5 running on one of the NT Server 4.0
servers.

We have 290 client machines (mix of Windows 2000 Pro and Windows 98).

We have 290 Windows Server CALs.

We have 500+ users, of which around 100 of them have their own client
machine.

This same 100 users also have mailboxes on and access to the Exchange
Server. (And they typically only access from their own client
machine.)

We have 125 Exchange Server CALs.

We did not initially have a license group set up and had many users
logging on from many different clients. So License Manager was
indicating that we were going over our Per Seat license limit for the
Windows Server. Our Per Seat Purchased would show 290, but our Per
Seat Allocated would show something much higher.

We set up a license group and added all of our 500+ users to the
group. We then set the number of licenses for the group to 290 (the
number of our Windows Server CALs).

We revoked all licenses for both Windows Server and Exchange Server
5.5. We then closed the License Manager and bounced the License
Logging Service.

When we went back into License Manager, both our Per Seat Purchased
and Per Seat Allocated for the Windows Server showed 290. Great. That
is what we wanted.

Our Per Seat Purchased for Exchange Server 5.5 still showed 125 (the
number of our Exchange Server CALs). However, our Per Seat Allocated
now also showed 290, putting us over our Per Seat license limit for
the Exchange Server.

Of course, if one viewed the Clients (Per Seat) for the Exchange
Server, there were far less than even 125 listed there. However, every
one of the users listed displayed the icon indicating they were
unlicensed.

We are really not sure what to try next. We just want the License
Manager to reflect the true state of our licensing.

Again, sorry about the length. Thank you in advance for any
assistance.

-Dean McWhorter
 Computer Coordinator
 Argyle Central School

2. exchange 2000

3. Outlook 97 licensing Exchange Server 5.0 in per server licensing mode

4. OWA - Argh,throw it out of the window

5. Server licensing vs. Exchange licensing

6. Out of licenses error msg.

7. Exchange Help Desk App from App Farm

8. Keep Personal Address in Contacts rather than Personal Address Book

9. Changing Exchange server from Domain Controller to App server

10. No client licenses available while License Server is up

11. New mail notification causes last used app to become the active app

12. Org Chart app from App. Farm

13. App for locking outlook folder/app