Upgrading hard drives

Post by Mo Suq » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 01:37:32

I'm running exhange server 2000 on a windows 2000 server.

Full backups are run everynight using veritas backup exec
8.6 with open file manager and exchange agent.

I'm upgrading the harddrives in the server and need some
assistance on how I should do this.

It is the same server just going from 3 9.1GB drives to 3
18.2GB drives on a compaq proliant server.

Please Help

Upgrading hard drives

Post by Nino Bilic [MS » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:35:14

Q257184 XADM: How to Move Exchange DBs and Logs in Exchange 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q257184

Use the above article to move the databases and log files from old drives to
the new ones.

In case that you can not do this (for example, if your Exchange is installed
on the drives that you will remove) then you will have to reinstall Exchange
using the /disasterrecovery switch after you put new drives in. Then update
Exchange to the same service pack as it had when you did the last backup.
And then at the end - restore databases from backup (NOT from open file
agent but from Exchange Agent!)

--
Nino Bilic
Exchange Support

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

Quote:> I'm running exhange server 2000 on a windows 2000 server.

> Full backups are run everynight using veritas backup exec
> 8.6 with open file manager and exchange agent.

> I'm upgrading the harddrives in the server and need some
> assistance on how I should do this.

> It is the same server just going from 3 9.1GB drives to 3
> 18.2GB drives on a compaq proliant server.

> Please Help

Upgrading hard drives

Post by <vernma.. » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:40:16

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I'm running exhange server 2000 on a windows 2000 server.

>Full backups are run everynight using veritas backup exec
>8.6 with open file manager and exchange agent.

>I'm upgrading the harddrives in the server and need some
>assistance on how I should do this.

>It is the same server just going from 3 9.1GB drives to 3
>18.2GB drives on a compaq proliant server.

>Please Help
>.

Basically you will re-install the OS and Exchange. Make
sure you backup the system state and of course you said
the IS database. That's good to go.

Upgrading hard drives

Post by vagabon » Sun, 08 Sep 2002 08:56:44

Stupid question:

Why can't a drive imaging utility be used?

1. Upgrading Hard Drive

I have Exchange2000 running on W2K Advanced server.  I
need to upgrade the hard drives and have ordered 4 36GB
drives.  At present exchange is running on a 18GB single
drive which is mirrored by software only.

The plan so far is take the server down out of hours
replace the hard drives on a fresh installation then using
2 drives for the OS and 2 drives for data storage
mirrored, then back up the mailboxes from tape.

I would apreciate any comments from people having done
something similar before, any problems you may have come
across or any better ideas!

Thanks,

Dan

2. How to export new templates settings?

3. Upgrading Hard Drives

4. Need to remove a message from the MTA queue

5. Exchange Server hard drive upgrade

6. EXUPLOAD.DLL Error on IE Outlook Attachments (SP1)?

7. Hard Drive Upgrade

8. Store.exe is FAILING

9. Moving drive M to another new hard drive

10. Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

11. constant hard drive activity

12. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

13. Hard drive swap