pgrading from XPHome to Professional - Impossible?

pgrading from XPHome to Professional - Impossible?

Post by Bob Pik » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:21:11

Last April I bought an XP Professional Upgrade package to
upgrade my Toshiba Notebook from XP Home.

After several days of trying I took it to my dealer, Best
Buy.  They tried for several days and then said it
couldn't be done, but I could install a partition and
dual boot.  So I bought partition magic and installed a
partition.

The XP Professional said irt xcouldn't find a valid
operating system to upgrade from.  Best Buy said I needed
to load windows 95, 98, or ME on my computer in the new
partition so the XP Professional would recognize the op
system and upgrade.

I have spent the last several months traveling and have
yet to locate a full version of any of these.  All the
ones I own are also upgrade versions that are also
looking for a valid operating system to upgrade from.

Basically I've given up, but I have this investment in XP
Professional.  Tonight I saw an upgrade XP Professional
package that listed an easy upgrade from home.

My question -- how can I make my upograde work?

Bob

pgrading from XPHome to Professional - Impossible?

Post by John Toennie » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:52:11

First question I have to ask is are you aware that this is the Exchange
Server group which is for Microsoft's email server? <G>

As for your question, I have personally never tried to upgrade home to
professional but have some questions:
1.   If you are running home and insert athe Pro CD what happens?  Does it
just say no?  Generally when you insert the CD you get a screen asking what
you want to do and one of the buttons gives you the option to install to a
separate partition.
2.  Can you boot to a CD?  If so what happens?  Doesn't it give you the
option to insert an old CD or other media that it will check for an upgrade?

John Toennies

Quote:> Last April I bought an XP Professional Upgrade package to