Exchange 5.0 and proxy server

Post by steven nelso » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Help.
Can I get Exchange 5.0 to go through a proxy server?
thanks in advance.

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Can I get Exchange 5.0 to go through a proxy server?
>thanks in advance.

Yes, it can. Read the release notes that came with the proxy server
for instructions.

Exchange 5.0 and proxy server

Post by Andy Bal » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

try this kb :

PSS ID Number: Q181420
Article last modified on 06-29-1998

WINDOWS:4.0,5.0,5.5; WINNT:2.0

WINDOWS winnt

 - Microsoft Proxy Server version 2.0
 - Microsoft Exchange Server, versions 4.0, 5.0 and 5.5

SUMMARY
=======

This step by step guide is intended to be an addendum to the Microsoft
Proxy Server 2.0 release notes.

The Server Proxy feature allows you to place a server, such as a Microsoft
Exchange Server computer using the Internet Mail Service (Internet Mail
Connector in Exchange version 4.0), on your private network behind
Microsoft Proxy Server. With this configuration, an Exchange Server
computer can provide Internet mail service by using the WinSock Proxy
client and relying on features of Proxy Server 2.0 for protection. In
addition, the Exchange Server computer does not require an additional
registered Internet IP address.

MORE INFORMATION
================

How Server Proxy Works
----------------------

The WinSock Proxy client allows you to bind services or applications to the
external network interface of the server computer running Microsoft Proxy
Server. After a service or application is bound on the external network
interface, it is then available to hosts on the Internet. The Proxy Server
computer then "listens" for connections on behalf of the service or
application.

For example, if you bind an internal SMTP/POP mail server to the proxy
server, mail clients or SMTP servers on the Internet can contact this mail
server by connecting to the proxy server's Internet IP address. To remote
computers on the Internet, these services appear to be running on the
proxy server computer.

To Set Up the Server Proxy Feature
for Exchange Server 4.0 - 5.5
----------------------------------

These instructions must be followed exactly as stated, otherwise Exchange
will not function with the Server Proxy feature.

1. Install and configure the Microsoft Proxy Server.

2. In the Winsock Proxy properties, select CLIENT CONFIGURATION. Find the
   "Client Connects to Microsoft Winsock Proxy Server by.." option, and set
   this to IP ADDRESS.

3. Install the WinSock Proxy (WSP) client on the Exchange Server computer.
   If the WSP client is already installed, REINSTALL IT. This can be done
   by connecting to the MSPCLNT share on the proxy server and executing
   Setup.exe from the root directory.

4. Change the Domain Name Service (DNS) settings on the Exchange Server
   computer. An Internet DNS server address MUST BE DEFINED on the Exchange
   Server computer, or the Exchange Server computer will not be able to
   send mail correctly.

   In Control Panel, double-click Network and then select TCP/IP. Click the
   DNS tab. Add your Internet Service Provider's DNS server address(es)
   here. If your DNS server does not seem to function properly, try
   using the Microsoft Network DNS servers to test name resolution:

      204.255.246.17
      204.255.246.18

5. Test the WSP client on the Exchange Server computer. Open an MS-DOS
   prompt window and type:

      FTP FTP.MICROSOFT.COM

   You should see a response similar to the following if the WinSock Proxy
   client is functioning:

     Connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
     220 ftp Microsoft FTP Service (Version 3.0).
     User (ftp.microsoft.com:(none)):

6. After the WinSock Proxy client is working, additional settings are
   required for server proxy on the Exchange Server computer. You must
   create two Wspcfg.ini files for the Exchange Server computer.

   Create the first Wspcfg.ini file for use with the Exchange SMTP service.
   Copy and Paste the four lines of information below into Notepad (DO NOT
   MANUALLY TYPE THE INFORMATION) and save this file as Wspcfg.ini in the
   directory where Msexcimc.exe is located.

   NOTE: Do NOT save the file in Unicode format. The SMTP port (25) on the
Exchange Server computer will then be bound to the Proxy Server's port 25.
On computer with Internet Information Server version 4.0 (IIS), stop and
disable the SMTP service from starting. The SMTP service, an optional
Windows NT Option Pack service, also uses port 25.

      [MSEXCIMC]
      ServerBindTcpPorts=25
      Persistent=1
      KillOldSession=1

   NOTE: The SMTP port (25) on the Exchange Server computer will then be
   bound to the proxy server's port 25.

   Create the second Wspcfg.ini file for use with the Exchange information
   store (Store.exe). Copy and Paste the four lines of information below
   into Notepad (DO NOT MANUALLY TYPE THE INFORMATION) and save this file
   as Wspcfg.ini in the directory where Store.exe is located.

   NOTE: Do NOT save the file in Unicode format.

      [STORE]
      ServerBindTcpPorts=110,119,143
      Persistent=1
      KillOldSession=1

    NOTE: Additional ports, such as ports 119 and 143 shown above, can
    be listed because Store.exe provides Network News Transfer Protocol
    (NNTP) on port 119, POP mail on port 110, and so on.

7. Verify that the two Wspcfg.ini files do NOT have a .txt extension
   appended. This will occur if your Internet Explorer interface settings
   are set to default values. The file may appear as Wspcfg.ini.txt. Rename
   the file if necessary.

8. If you are NOT using Access Control on the Winsock Proxy service, go to
   step 10.
   If Access Control is enabled on the Winsock Proxy service, you must
   grant the user account that starts the Exchange services access to the
   Proxy server.

   This must be a domain user account, not a local account on the Exchange
   Server computer. If it is a local account, create a new user account on
   the domain. Open Control Panel and double-click Services, and then grant
   the new domain user account logon rights to all of the Exchange
   services.

9. Give the new domain user account access to the proxy server. In the
   Winsock Proxy properties, select Permissions and give the new account
   the Unlimited Access right.

10. Restart the Exchange Server computer.

11. After the Exchange Server computer is restarted, it should
   automatically be listening on the external interface of the Proxy Server
   computer.

12. To test connectivity to the Exchange services from a computer that is
   directly connected to the Internet, do the following:

   a. On the test computer, click Start, and then click Run. Open
      Telnet.exe.

   b. Select Connect, and then Remote System.

        HOST NAME: External IP address of the proxy server
        PORT:        25
        TERM TYPE: vt100

   c. After you are connected, you see a blank screen. Press the ENTER
      key and wait about 30 seconds. You should see a message from the
      Exchange SMTP service indicating a good setup. If not, re-check your
      settings.

   d. You can also try port 110 to test the POP service.

To Configure Your DNS
Mail Exchange (MX) Record
-------------------------

If you are using your Internet Service Provider's (ISP) DNS server, you
must contact the ISP and ask to add an  MX  and  A  record for your domain,
so other Internet mail servers can contact your Exchange Server computer.

1. Your  MX  and  A  DNS resource records must refer to the IP address of
   the proxy server's external network adapter and NOT the internal IP
   address of the Exchange Server computer or SMTP server itself.

   For example, if your registered Internet domain name is microsoft.com,
   and your internal Exchange Server computer uses a DNS host name of
   "exchange1", you need to use an MX, or mail exchanger, record to
   provide other Internet hosts the name of your internal Exchange Server
   computer. In this case, an MX record added in the microsoft.com zone
   can provide this information as follows:

    microsoft.com IN MX 10 exchange1.microsoft.com

    You then need to create an A, or address, record for
    exchange1.microsoft.com that uses an external IP address of the
    proxy server.  If the external IP address of your proxy server
    is 172.16.0.0, you add the following A record to the
    microsoft.com zone:

       exchange1.microsoft.com       IN A 172.16.0.0

    In addition, you can add or create a PTR, or pointer, record to
    the microsoft.com zone to provide reverse lookup. A valid PTR
    record to do this is:

       0.0.16.172.in-addr.arpa   IN PTR exchange1.microsoft.com

Testing the Configuration
-------------------------

To verify that the computer running Microsoft Exchange Server and the
computer running Proxy Server are configured properly, use the following
procedure. If you perform each step successfully, the servers are
configured properly.

1. Send a message from an e-mail client that is connected to the computer
   running Microsoft Exchange Server to an e-mail client that is past the
   computer running Proxy Server.

2. Send a message from an e-mail client that is past the computer running
   Proxy Server to an e-mail client that is connected to the computer
   running Microsoft Exchange Server.

3. Use the Telnet tool to connect to the computer running Microsoft
   Exchange Server and send a message to the server. To do so, follow these
   steps:

   a. Type "telnet" (without quotation marks) at a command prompt, and
      then press ENTER.

   b. On the Connect menu, click Remote System.

   c. In the Host Name box, type the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of
      the computer running Microsoft Exchange Server. The FQDN should be in
      the following format:

         <host>.<domain>.<top-level>

      where <host> is the server's host name, <domain> is the Microsoft
      Exchange Server organization name, and <top-level> is the top-level
      domain name. For example, "ex1.microsoft.com"

read more »

Exchange 5.0 and proxy server

Post by Martyn Pave » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

This problem interests me also, but I would like to be able to schedule the
connection to collect and deliver email while connecting through the proxy.
The following, while using the proxy, does not appear to allow for the
connection to be scheduled by the exchange server. Do you know of any
possible solution to this problem either by using exchange server or a third
party addon.

Thanks
Martyn Pavey

Andy Ball wrote in message <01bdea01$b3c4d4d0$0100050a@greenfel>...
> [...]

>    record to do this is:

>       0.0.16.172.in-addr.arpa   IN PTR exchange1.microsoft.com

>Testing the Configuration
>-------------------------

>To verify that the computer running Microsoft Exchange Server and the
>computer running Proxy Server are configured properly, use the following
>procedure. If you perform each step successfully, the servers are
>configured properly.

>1. Send a message from an e-mail client that is connected to the computer
>   running Microsoft Exchange Server to an e-mail client that is past the
>   computer running Proxy Server.

>2. Send a message from an e-mail client that is past the computer running
>   Proxy Server to an e-mail client that is connected to the computer
>   running Microsoft Exchange Server.

>3. Use the Telnet tool to connect to the computer running Microsoft

read more »

1. Problem putting Exchange 5.0 behind proxy server

I'm trying to follow the readme.txt that came with Proxy 2.0.  It seems
that installing the  Winsock Client onto my Exchange server results in
flaky behavior on the server.  It locks up when I try to access Exchange
Admin or go into TCP/IP properties and I end up having to kill the RUNDLL
process from Task Manager.  This seems be related to the DNS settings that
MS recommends I add to the Exchange server.  If I add external DNS servers
to the TCP/IP settings, then I am unable to ping any internal addresses by
name (we don't use DNS on our local network)...in fact any TCP/IP utility
just hangs.  Anyone else having this problem or does anyone know of better
documentation than the README.TXT file?

Thanks,
   Jeff

2. Changing passwords through Exchange client

3. Exchange 5.0 and proxy server

4. Server cannot receive mail

5. Exchange 5.0 and Proxy Server

6. Error 9318 AFter removing a server from a site

7. Several Questions about Dialup, Proxy and Exchange Server 5.0

8. POP Problems

9. Exchange 5.0/Outlook Express/Proxy Server

10. Several Questions about Dialup, Proxy and Exchange Server 5.0

11. Proxy Server 2.0 and Exchange 5.0