I decided to move my Exchange server to a better hardware platform, so I
performed the following steps.
1. Installed a new server to the same site.
2. Replicated all public folders to both servers
3. Changed home server for all public folders to the new one.
4. Stopped replicating public folders to the old server
5. Made sure all the public folders worked OK
6. Moved each and every mailbox (Yes, one by one) to the new server.
7. Made sure all mailboxes worked OK
8. Installed a new IMS (my only external connector) on the new server, and
made sure it worked.
9. Deleted the IMS on the old server and made sure I could still send and
receive SMTP mail.
This week-end, I tried to close down the old server (without removing it
from the site).
Sunday, I had to start it again, because the users were not able to connect
with their outlook clients.
(but outlook WEB Access worked fine??)
(Needless to say that the moment the old server was up again everything
Now for the question:
Does anyone have the faintest idea why it did'nt work?
If I decide to go for the big leap, and remove the old server from the site,
will I be able to add it to the site again if it does'nt work out.