How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

Post by Tallak Romundsta » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00



I decided to move my Exchange server to a better hardware platform, so I
performed the following steps.

1. Installed a new server to the same site.
2. Replicated all public folders to both servers
3. Changed home server for all public folders to the new one.
4. Stopped replicating public folders to the old server
5. Made sure all the public folders worked OK
6. Moved each and every mailbox (Yes, one by one) to the new server.
7. Made sure all mailboxes worked OK
8. Installed a new IMS (my only external connector) on the new server, and
made sure it worked.
9. Deleted the IMS on the old server and made sure I could still send and
receive SMTP mail.

This week-end, I tried to close down the old server (without removing it
from the site).
Sunday, I had to start it again, because the users were not able to connect
with their outlook clients.
(but outlook WEB Access worked fine??)
(Needless to say that the moment the old server was up again everything
worked)

Now for the question:

Does anyone have the faintest idea why it did'nt work?
If I decide to go for the big leap, and remove the old server from the site,
will I be able to add it to the site again if it does'nt work out.

Tallak Romundstad

 
 
 

How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

Post by Bert Postm » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00


I think what happens is that your clients connect to your old server, which
re-directs the calls to the new server. If you shutdown the old server, your
clients don't know where to connect to, and get error messages. There is a
solution for it: change all the profiles of the users to connect to the new
server, type in their name (or part of it) and press check name...
But, I'm sure there's also a more elegant solution, which unfortunately I
don't know...

Bert Postma


>I decided to move my Exchange server to a better hardware platform, so I
>performed the following steps.

>1. Installed a new server to the same site.
>2. Replicated all public folders to both servers
>3. Changed home server for all public folders to the new one.
>4. Stopped replicating public folders to the old server
>5. Made sure all the public folders worked OK
>6. Moved each and every mailbox (Yes, one by one) to the new server.
>7. Made sure all mailboxes worked OK
>8. Installed a new IMS (my only external connector) on the new server, and
>made sure it worked.
>9. Deleted the IMS on the old server and made sure I could still send and
>receive SMTP mail.

>This week-end, I tried to close down the old server (without removing it
>from the site).
>Sunday, I had to start it again, because the users were not able to connect
>with their outlook clients.
>(but outlook WEB Access worked fine??)
>(Needless to say that the moment the old server was up again everything
>worked)

>Now for the question:

>Does anyone have the faintest idea why it did'nt work?
>If I decide to go for the big leap, and remove the old server from the
site,
>will I be able to add it to the site again if it does'nt work out.

>Tallak Romundstad


 
 
 

How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

Post by Tallak Romundsta » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Wish I was that lucky. The profiles all point to the new server

Tallak

..................................................................


>I think what happens is that your clients connect to your old server, which
>re-directs the calls to the new server. If you shutdown the old server,
your
>clients don't know where to connect to, and get error messages. There is a
>solution for it: change all the profiles of the users to connect to the new
>server, type in their name (or part of it) and press check name...
>But, I'm sure there's also a more elegant solution, which unfortunately I
>don't know...

>Bert Postma


>>I decided to move my Exchange server to a better hardware platform, so I
>>performed the following steps.

>>1. Installed a new server to the same site.
>>2. Replicated all public folders to both servers
>>3. Changed home server for all public folders to the new one.
>>4. Stopped replicating public folders to the old server
>>5. Made sure all the public folders worked OK
>>6. Moved each and every mailbox (Yes, one by one) to the new server.
>>7. Made sure all mailboxes worked OK
>>8. Installed a new IMS (my only external connector) on the new server, and
>>made sure it worked.
>>9. Deleted the IMS on the old server and made sure I could still send and
>>receive SMTP mail.

>>This week-end, I tried to close down the old server (without removing it
>>from the site).
>>Sunday, I had to start it again, because the users were not able to
connect
>>with their outlook clients.
>>(but outlook WEB Access worked fine??)
>>(Needless to say that the moment the old server was up again everything
>>worked)

>>Now for the question:

>>Does anyone have the faintest idea why it did'nt work?
>>If I decide to go for the big leap, and remove the old server from the
>site,
>>will I be able to add it to the site again if it does'nt work out.

>>Tallak Romundstad

 
 
 

How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

Post by Alan Brewe » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Review article Q152959 - How to remove the First Exchange Server in a
Site.

=============
Alan Brewer

 
 
 

How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00


My close personal friend "Tallak Romundstad"


>I decided to move my Exchange server to a better hardware platform, so I
>performed the following steps.

>1. Installed a new server to the same site.
>2. Replicated all public folders to both servers
>3. Changed home server for all public folders to the new one.
>4. Stopped replicating public folders to the old server
>5. Made sure all the public folders worked OK
>6. Moved each and every mailbox (Yes, one by one) to the new server.
>7. Made sure all mailboxes worked OK
>8. Installed a new IMS (my only external connector) on the new server, and
>made sure it worked.
>9. Deleted the IMS on the old server and made sure I could still send and
>receive SMTP mail.

>This week-end, I tried to close down the old server (without removing it
>from the site).
>Sunday, I had to start it again, because the users were not able to connect
>with their outlook clients.
>(but outlook WEB Access worked fine??)
>(Needless to say that the moment the old server was up again everything
>worked)

>Now for the question:

>Does anyone have the faintest idea why it did'nt work?
>If I decide to go for the big leap, and remove the old server from the site,
>will I be able to add it to the site again if it does'nt work out.

All the users Outlook profiles pointed to ServerA when you took down
ServerA, there was nothing to tell them their mailbox is now located
on ServerB. Outlook doesn't query the network to see if any Exchange
servers are* about, it uses the one specified in the Outlook
profile.

Leave ServerA up for a couple of weeks until all of your users have a
chance to be automagically transferred to ServerB, then you should be
able to remove ServerA.

OWA worked because the location of the users mailbox isn't hard coded
into the web browser, if you had manually resolved each client to
ServerB, that probably would have worked as well.

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

 
 
 

How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

Post by Tallak Romundsta » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00


Thanks Alan.
Having read the article you told me about, I was able to close down the old
server without problems  (so far)

Now, if someone could come up with at good method to move the mailboxes from
one server to another, without having to move them one by one using the
Exchange Administrator, I would be able to write a paper on "how to get rid
of an old server without having to resort to backup and disaster recovery"

It was no problem for me, because I only have about 50+ mailboxes, but I
have seen the question posted to this newsgroup before, and presumably some
of those administrators have a lot larger organisations.

Tallak Romundstad

............................................................................
.....................................................


>Review article Q152959 - How to remove the First Exchange Server in a
>Site.

>=============
>Alan Brewer

 
 
 

1. How to get rid of an Exchange server??? Or how to move an Excahnge Installation to a New server

I decided to move my Exchange server to a better hardware platform, so I
performed the following steps.

1. Installed a new server to the same site.
2. Replicated all public folders to both servers
3. Changed home server for all public folders to the new one.
4. Stopped replicating public folders to the old server
5. Made sure all the public folders worked OK
6. Moved each and every mailbox (Yes, one by one) to the new server.
7. Made sure all mailboxes worked OK
8. Installed a new IMS (my only external connector) on the new server, and
made sure it worked.
9. Deleted the IMS on the old server and made sure I could still send and
receive SMTP mail.

This week-end, I tried to close down the old server (without removing it
from the site).
Sunday, I had to start it again, because the users were not able to connect
with their outlook clients.
(but outlook WEB Access worked fine??)
(Needless to say that the moment the old server was up again everything
worked)

Now for the question:

Does anyone have the faintest idea why it did'nt work?
If I decide to go for the big leap, and remove the old server from the site,
will I be able to add it to the site again if it does'nt work out.

Tallak Romundstad

2. Error while installing another Exchange Server

3. getting rid of exchange server

4. Mobile Information Server

5. He: newby - Getting rid of password boxes when acessing exchange server

6. can you auto-reply from the server?

7. Getting rid of a swing server mess

8. exchange event service will not start

9. getting rid of 5.5 server after upgrading to 2000

10. Getting rid of Exchange 5.5 Bridgehead

11. Getting rid of Inheritance in the Security Descriptor for Exchange

12. Getting rid of open relay on Exchange 5.5

13. Getting rid of RightFax from Exchange