Exchange Database File Too Big

Post by Gunmeta » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

I am the admin of a small NT network running Exchange 5.5 under Windows NT
4.0 with SP4 for about 80 users. I am looking for the best way to clean up
the Priv.EDB file. It is currently about 6 gigabytes, which seems
excessively large for such a small group of users. Does anybody know why
this file is so big? I've turned of all logging, but seems to make very
little difference. And what would be the best way to reduce the size of this
file?

Thanks

Exchange Database File Too Big

Post by Ben Holk » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Priv.edb is made up of all your users mailboxes. Get them to delete items
from the mailboxes, and then set limits on maximum size for mailboxes.

Quote:> Hi All,

Post by John W Ha » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Priv.edb is made up of all your users mailboxes. Get them to delete items
>from the mailboxes, and then set limits on maximum size for mailboxes.

This might slow the growth, but won't reduce the current size.
You have to Defrag to do that. But it may not be worth doing...

When messages are deleted the space they occupied is retained,
(except for 'recover deleted items' retention), and later reused for
new messages.

I hereby empower myself to have an independent opinion.

1. Exchange Database File Too Big!

Hi All,

I am the admin of a small NT network running Exchange 5.5 under Windows NT
4.0 with SP4 for about 80 users. I am looking for the best way to clean up
the Priv.EDB file. It is currently about 6 gigabytes, which seems
excessively large for such a small group of users. Does anybody know why
this file is so big? I've turned of all logging, but seems to make very
little difference. And what would be the best way to reduce the size of this
file?

Thanks

2. Outlook Web Access - Access denied!

3. big problem - database files in this store are inconsistent

4. Macros in Exchange??

5. Exchange 2000 Database too big

6. distribution list/hiding addresses

7. What to do if Exchange database is too big

8. Taking 5.0 server out of service.

9. Exchange 2000 Log files and Database files

10. Bigger Private database

11. HELP - Database too big to start

12. Privat database to bigger

13. Database is getting to big