Posting messages using WebDAV

Post by Avner Kashta » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:50:12

Good morning.

I'm trying to write a small discussion-forum type thing based on
Exchange2000 using XMLHTTP requests/WebDAV.
I've got most of the things worked out, but I'm kinda stuck in trying
to create a new message item in a public folder using WebDAV. The
example in the MSDN shows a PROPPATCH request used to create the item
and set its properties, and then a PUT request to set the item's stream
(body). The PROPPATCH works well, but trying to PUT the stream into the
same URL afterwards results in a "403 - Forbidden" error. Trying to do
so the other way around - first the PUT, then PROPPATCH - doesn't
result in an error, but doesn't seem to actually work, either - the
item is created, but the properties aren't saved. If, for instance, I
created the item with the URL along the lines
of "http://server/public/test/fish.eml", "fish.eml" would be the
subject of the message (since I created it with PUT, no properties were
explicitly defined), and no matter how many PROPPATCHs I use to change
the subject to "fish", for instance (without the ".eml") it refuses to
change.
The public folder's permissions give the Editor role to the default and
anonymous user-groups, so it's probably not a matter of permissions.

Can anyone explain this to me, or (better yet) point me to sample code
using XMLHTTP that I can learn from?

Thanks,

   Avner

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Posting messages using WebDAV

Post by Christian Tref » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 01:27:34

Hi,

im trying some similar, by creating a folder and properites using MKCOL,
getting a 403-Forbidden. Di you create the folder (via MKCOL) and then the
properties (via PROPPATCH) seperately or in one step via MKXOL with an
request body?

Can you give me some of your code?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx, Chris

Posting messages using WebDAV

Post by Avner Kashta » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:33:50

Quote:> getting a 403-Forbidden. Di you create the folder (via MKCOL) and
> then the properties (via PROPPATCH) seperately or in one step via
> MKXOL with an request body?

I didn't create the folder by code at all - I was using folders I
created through Outlook.

I did get a lot of 403-Forbidden errors while using Proppatch, however.
Except for the rather amusing description that error has in the MSDN
("The server understood your request, but will not do it. Authorization
will not help") I couldn't really figure out what was going on, until I
started playing with it randomly. It seems that there are equivalent
properties in the urn:schemas:httpmail and urn:schemas:mailheader
namespaces, but not all of them are updateable, regardless of what the
MSDN has to say about it. I got a 403-Forbidden error trying to update
the SenderName property in the httpmail namespace, but updated just
fine through the mailheader NS. Play around with that a bit until you
find the properties you need.

   Avner

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. posting a WebDAV message to a NNTP folder

does anyone know how to post a WebDAV message (assuming that you use PUT) to
an Exchange's public folder exposed as an NNTP newsgroup?

I posted a similar question earlier and by now I have tried everything and
have no idea what is wrong.

Any time I issue a PUT command to create a message against my public folder,
the request fails with 501 Not Implemented. As soon as I kill Virtual NNTP
Server that points to the same public folder, everything works just fine.

thanks,
Mark.

2. configure raid

3. Using WEBDAV to move a Email Message from a Public Store to a Private one (Inbox)

4. Backup problem Excange2000

5. creating Exchange messages using WebDAV

6. Auto Print from Inbox

7. Sending messages using WebDAV

8. Admin Agent

9. How to set mail status using WebDAV

10. creating a contact in Exchange 2K using WebDAV, ends up with wrong type

11. Accessing the mailbox alias using the WebDAV

12. search for user contacts using Webdav

13. How to access mails using WebDAV over http/https