Strange Problem with Exchange File system.

Strange Problem with Exchange File system.

Post by Part » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I have written OnSyncSave WebStore Sink.
When new email arrives at the inbox I get notification and get all the
properties of the mail. For e.f DEV:contentclass, DEV:contenttype.
But now if I copy the same mail from explorer and save again there I can't
get those properties. they simply contain null.
This happens with any other  mail's also which I drag drop to that folder.
Also when I get the fields count for both the cases 147.

Waht might be the reason?

Thanks,
Parth

Strange Problem with Exchange File system.

Post by Jeff Wierer [MS » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The file system works with the stream, not the metadata.  So using explorer
will only copy the stream...

BTW I think you mean the DAV properties?

-Jeff

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have written OnSyncSave WebStore Sink.
> When new email arrives at the inbox I get notification and get all the
> properties of the mail. For e.f DEV:contentclass, DEV:contenttype.
> But now if I copy the same mail from explorer and save again there I can't
> get those properties. they simply contain null.
> This happens with any other  mail's also which I drag drop to that folder.
> Also when I get the fields count for both the cases 147.

> Waht might be the reason?

> Thanks,
> Parth

Strange Problem with Exchange File system.

Post by Part » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:37:03

I wanted to retrive the attachments of the message.
Some more interesting things about this are:
1. I had one .msg file which was saved from exchange 5.5 client. I copied it
to the folder - I got the notification - the contentclass was document.
 I renamed it to .eml - again I got the notification - this time the content
class is again document. Now if I copy this item and paste it again - I get
content class as Message - If I copy/paste this item n number of times each
time I get content class as Message and also I get all other properties.

2. If I create some .txt file and copy paste it each time I am able to get
all of it's properties.

So why this happens with the messages which are orignaly saved as .eml?

Thanks,
Parth

> The file system works with the stream, not the metadata.  So using
explorer
> will only copy the stream...

> BTW I think you mean the DAV properties?

> -Jeff

> > Hi all,

> > I have written OnSyncSave WebStore Sink.
> > When new email arrives at the inbox I get notification and get all the
> > properties of the mail. For e.f DEV:contentclass, DEV:contenttype.
> > But now if I copy the same mail from explorer and save again there I
can't
> > get those properties. they simply contain null.
> > This happens with any other  mail's also which I drag drop to that
folder.
> > Also when I get the fields count for both the cases 147.

> > Waht might be the reason?

> > Thanks,
> > Parth

Strange Problem with Exchange File system.

Post by Andy Web » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

As noted elsewhere, an MSG file is not a "message stream" (MIME Message).
It is a MAPI message (OLE Structured Storage).  You can't simply rename a
message from MSG to EML.  The content is different.  It's like trying to
rename a VSD (visio) file to DOC (word) and expecting it to open correctly.
Won't work.

Simpler-Webb, Inc.  Austin, TX  "Mauve has more RAM" -Dilbert
Exchange FAQ   -   http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> I wanted to retrive the attachments of the message.
> Some more interesting things about this are:
> 1. I had one .msg file which was saved from exchange 5.5 client. I copied
it
> to the folder - I got the notification - the contentclass was document.
>  I renamed it to .eml - again I got the notification - this time the
content
> class is again document. Now if I copy this item and paste it again - I
get
> content class as Message - If I copy/paste this item n number of times
each
> time I get content class as Message and also I get all other properties.

> 2. If I create some .txt file and copy paste it each time I am able to get
> all of it's properties.

> So why this happens with the messages which are orignaly saved as .eml?

> Thanks,
> Parth

> > The file system works with the stream, not the metadata.  So using
> explorer
> > will only copy the stream...

> > BTW I think you mean the DAV properties?

> > -Jeff

> > > Hi all,

> > > I have written OnSyncSave WebStore Sink.
> > > When new email arrives at the inbox I get notification and get all the
> > > properties of the mail. For e.f DEV:contentclass, DEV:contenttype.
> > > But now if I copy the same mail from explorer and save again there I
> can't
> > > get those properties. they simply contain null.
> > > This happens with any other  mail's also which I drag drop to that
> folder.
> > > Also when I get the fields count for both the cases 147.

> > > Waht might be the reason?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Parth

1. Problem installing SP3: System cannot find file specified

Hello everyone,

When I try to install the SP3 on my Exchange Server 5.5 (as well from cd as
from the internet downloaded)
It is almost finished, but it is coming with the following message:

        Processing file c:\I386\Webasp.ins at or near line 9
        The system cannot find the file specified

        Microsoft windows NT ID no: 0xc0020002

Has anyone had the same problem and if so, how did you solved it?

Kind regards,

ICT Manager - Planhold Group Europe
Amsterdam - Netherlands

2. free/busy replication

3. Fax Client Problems ("file system error")

4. Newsfeed problems...

5. VERY strange problem/set of problems on virgin Exchange 5.5 server

6. GAL displaying X400 addresses

7. recover deleted files on a NT file system.

8. Exch 2k priv and pub

9. Strange "system admin" messages

10. OWA - Minor Problem - Strange problem

11. OWA - Minor problem - Strange problem

12. OWA - Minor problem - strange problem

13. Very Strange problem - SMTP Communication problem