creating folders in all mail boxes

Post by augustine bla » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:59:37

i have about 2000 users in exchange 2000 server. i will
like to loop through all the mailboxes and create a folder
called "PROJECTS"  and give read\write access to their
respective mailboxes owners.

when the users access their mail box using any mail client
they should have access to the folder

Question is what is the easiest way of doing that?

thanks

creating folders in all mail boxes

Post by Sven Carstense » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 03:08:56

Hi augustine,

Quote:> i have about 2000 users in exchange 2000 server. i will
> like to loop through all the mailboxes and create a folder
> called "PROJECTS"  and give read\write access to their
> respective mailboxes owners.

> when the users access their mail box using any mail client
> they should have access to the folder

> Question is what is the easiest way of doing that?

I did a similar thing with CDO 1.21. You will need an account with owner
access on all mailboxes you want to modify. You could use the global address
book to enumerate all user objects and get their mailbox alias. You would
need to use a dynamic profile to access each mailbox - see Session.Logon of
CDO 1.21 for details. There should be no special actions necessary for the
access rights as they will default to the owner of the mailbox. If you need
more control: there is a rules automation component in the archived MSDN
Exchange 5.5 SDK which helps on changing access rights.

You might as well use WebDAV or CDO for Exchange 2000/2003 when Exchange 5.5
Server is not involved anymore but I have no experience with those APIs.

HTH,
Sven

creating folders in all mail boxes

Post by Dave Mill » Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:54:30

With WebDAV you can use the code from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wss/...

Just use http://servername/exchange/username/Projects/ as the foldername
instead of the one they use in the sample.  If you use a front-end server
you will have to specify credentials, but you won't have to lookup each
user's exchange server name (if you have multiple).  But if you use just the
servername (with no domain name), then Negotiate (a.k.a. Kerberos)
authentication will be used for whatever account you're running the script
under and you won't have to specify credentials.

FYI, I find that WebDAV is much quicker than CDO 1.2.1 for this sort of
thing.

- Dave