deleted public folder isn't (really)?

Post by Gordon Watt » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:18:37

Hi,
  I'm trying to create a simple Exchange app (involves web access, workflow)
using Exchange 2000 with the tech preview 1 installed. To do my web pages,
I'm using FrontPage to publish them to the "m:\xxxx" location. It works
great the first time. However, I then had to delete my application and
recreate it from scratch (I have a JScript to do this), and FrontPage
refused to create the _vti_cnf folder. Experimenting, I found that I
couldn't even create it in the m:\ mount! It was as if the folder was there,
but wasn't there.

  I theorize that when I delete the application folder, it doesn't actually
all go away. This guess is further bolstered by the fact that once I get a
default.asp web page into my app, delete my app, recreate my app (but don't
re-publish my web pages), the web browser still finds default.asp!!! When
the app is deleted is correctly fails to find the default.asp.

  So, during development, I keep having to change the name of my application
each time I need to change one of the properties or definitions of a new
content-class. Surely, there is a better way. How do I make sure that
_everything_ is really gone when I delete an application?

  Many thanks!

    Cheers,
        Gordon.

deleted public folder isn't (really)?

Post by Jeff Wierer [MS » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:44:17

There is a 30 min cache between the IFS and the WSS.  I would NOT use the
IFS for accessing the store this way.  Use the Frontpage addon and directly
access the store through http.

-Jeff

Quote:> Hi,
>   I'm trying to create a simple Exchange app (involves web access,
workflow)
> using Exchange 2000 with the tech preview 1 installed. To do my web pages,
> I'm using FrontPage to publish them to the "m:\xxxx" location. It works
> great the first time. However, I then had to delete my application and
> recreate it from scratch (I have a JScript to do this), and FrontPage
> refused to create the _vti_cnf folder. Experimenting, I found that I
> couldn't even create it in the m:\ mount! It was as if the folder was
there,
> but wasn't there.

>   I theorize that when I delete the application folder, it doesn't
actually
> all go away. This guess is further bolstered by the fact that once I get a
> default.asp web page into my app, delete my app, recreate my app (but
don't
> re-publish my web pages), the web browser still finds default.asp!!! When
> the app is deleted is correctly fails to find the default.asp.

>   So, during development, I keep having to change the name of my
application
> each time I need to change one of the properties or definitions of a new
> content-class. Surely, there is a better way. How do I make sure that
> _everything_ is really gone when I delete an application?

>   Many thanks!

>     Cheers,
>         Gordon.

deleted public folder isn't (really)?

Post by Gordon Watt » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:48:00

Hi,
  Ah-ha! As they say (at least, in my field). Thanks so much! So where do I
get this addon?

  This also matches with something I observed -- it did work once when I
took a break after deleting the thing.

  I got this technique from book "Programming Collaborative Web Applications
with MS Exchange 20000 Server" by M. Martin. In truth, I have found several
errors other than this. She describes this technique on page... hmmm...
well, in the picture on page 552... and I'm a visually oriented guy. On page
551 she does say use the HTTP form of the url.

  Ahh, and when I tried it, I kept opening up the root of the site (for
example, if I tried to open up http://xxx/testapp/myapp, which works for the
web browser, I end up getting http://xxx in my frontpage display). I'm
guessing that I don't have the addon? Where do I get that?

  And would using this addon get around this problem? Ah, because via the
addon I go directly through http, which directly accesses the WFS, where the
folder is truely deleted. Instead of IFS, where it isn't (of course). Got
it. Right. Need that add on.

  Again, thanks!

    Cheers,
        Gordon.

> There is a 30 min cache between the IFS and the WSS.  I would NOT use the
> IFS for accessing the store this way.  Use the Frontpage addon and
directly
> access the store through http.

> -Jeff

> > Hi,
> >   I'm trying to create a simple Exchange app (involves web access,
> workflow)
> > using Exchange 2000 with the tech preview 1 installed. To do my web
pages,
> > I'm using FrontPage to publish them to the "m:\xxxx" location. It works
> > great the first time. However, I then had to delete my application and
> > recreate it from scratch (I have a JScript to do this), and FrontPage
> > refused to create the _vti_cnf folder. Experimenting, I found that I
> > couldn't even create it in the m:\ mount! It was as if the folder was
> there,
> > but wasn't there.

> >   I theorize that when I delete the application folder, it doesn't
> actually
> > all go away. This guess is further bolstered by the fact that once I get
> > default.asp web page into my app, delete my app, recreate my app (but
> don't
> > re-publish my web pages), the web browser still finds default.asp!!!
When
> > the app is deleted is correctly fails to find the default.asp.

> >   So, during development, I keep having to change the name of my
> application
> > each time I need to change one of the properties or definitions of a new
> > content-class. Surely, there is a better way. How do I make sure that
> > _everything_ is really gone when I delete an application?

> >   Many thanks!

> >     Cheers,
> >         Gordon.

deleted public folder isn't (really)?

Post by Jeff Wierer [MS » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:44:48

See the downloads from http://msdn.microsoft.com/exchange

-Jeff

> [...]

> > > but wasn't there.

> > >   I theorize that when I delete the application folder, it doesn't
> > actually
> > > all go away. This guess is further bolstered by the fact that once I
get
> > > default.asp web page into my app, delete my app, recreate my app (but
> > don't
> > > re-publish my web pages), the web browser still finds default.asp!!!
> When
> > > the app is deleted is correctly fails to find the default.asp.

> > >   So, during development, I keep having to change the name of my
> > application
> > > each time I need to change one of the properties or definitions of a
new
> > > content-class. Surely, there is a better way. How do I make sure that
> > > _everything_ is really gone when I delete an application?

1. Public folder property: schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/publicfolderemailaddress isn't always present

We have noticed that the
schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/publicfolderemailaddress property doesn't
always appear (exists and is set) for all public folders.

We have four different Exchange servers we are testing with and two of them
are missing this property.

We have tried creating the folders with the Exchange admin, via Outlook,
changing the SMTP address, unhiding the folder, etc.

The event sink part of our product requires this property in order to
operate correctly.

Any ideas?

Rick
Aspect Communications

2. Upgrading Eval to Full Version

3. extracting public subfolders when the parent folder isn't accessable

4. Service Pack 4

5. - Client using Outlook isn't able to see a public folder

6. PFAdmin Question2

7. Retrieve deleted folders from 'Public Folders'

8. Creating mailboxes throught web page

9. Can't delete Public Folders: they don't exist but listed

10. Phantom public folders: can't open, can't delete

11. Can't DELETE / Can't get into DELETE folder

12. OL '98 - public folders - contacts - deleted items

13. Can't delete public folder!