Removing Exchange 5.5 from a site

Post by Ed Keeli » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:23:33

We have just installed a new exchange 5.5 server.  I want
to migrate all the mailboxes from the old server to the
new one. After that I want to wipe the old box, upgrade it
and reinstall Exchange 55. Do I need to uninstall exchange
from the old server first to remove it from the Exchange
Site or can I simply remove it?  Any other thoughts would
be helpful as well.

Thank you

Removing Exchange 5.5 from a site

Post by Arno Zweger » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:52:39

Quote:>We have just installed a new exchange 5.5 server.  I want
>to migrate all the mailboxes from the old server to the
>new one. After that I want to wipe the old box, upgrade it
>and reinstall Exchange 55. Do I need to uninstall exchange
>from the old server first to remove it from the Exchange
>Site or can I simply remove it?  Any other thoughts would
>be helpful as well.

Hello,

To remove a server from a site the best thing to do is uninstall
Exchange 5.5 from the Server. Then wait for replication and the server
will disappear.
If you then reinstall Exchange 5.5 using the same servername you
shouldn't have any problems.
If however you just turn it off, reinstall (using the same name) then
you will see error messages in your Event logs because the underlying
unique sequence numbers will be different.
If you turn it off and reinstall it using a different name then the
old Exchange server will remain an object in your Exchange site and
then you will need to use Raw mode to remove it completely.

Quote:

>Thank you

Regards, Mvg,
Arno Zwegers - The Netherlands - MCSE NT4 & 2000
Contact via:

Remove onzin and/or tease from the email addresses to contact me.
Verwijder onzin en/of tease uit de email adressen om me te benaderen.
Working for SPS in Reeuwijk the Netherlands - www.sps.nl -
"System monitoring, remote system management and Consulting Services"

1. Removing Exchange 5.5 Server from Site

Hi, we have a exchange 5.5 server on windows 2000 with adc installed, and
another server with exchange 2000. I have moved all mailboxes and hopefully
rehomed all public folders and would like to decommision the exchange 5.5
server now. What are the best steps to remove the 5.5 Server from the site?

Thanks, John

2. No service (error 2140) but the System Attendant will startup

3. Removing Exchange 5.5 from a site

4. One Exchange user with split profile?

5. Removing Exchange 5.5 Server from Site

6. Will a reinstall of Exchange 5.5 lose all my users' mailboxes and messages?

7. question about the queues

8. How to remove second exchange 5.5 server from the exchange site

9. Removing Exchange 5.5/BDC from Exchange 2000 site

10. Can't remove Exchange 5.5 server from Exchange 2000 site