Encoding problem when storing newsgroups in public folders

Encoding problem when storing newsgroups in public folders

Post by Artyom Klyachki » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 15:31:32

Hi All!

Our company has the local news server. It stores messages in public folders.
When I post message to the newsgroup using outlook express the problem
occurs. The message encoding is KOI8-R which is common for cyrillyc
languages. The message looks ok when I open it but in the newsreader client
headers list I see message headers as if they are encoded in "win 1251".
There is no such a problem when I store newsgroups on NNTP-server in "usual"
folder ("inetpub/nntproot"), not using Exchange Information Store ("Public
Folders/Internet Newsgroups").
After several experiments I noted
that news message's properties
http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x3fde0003 and
http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x3ffd0003 are responsible for
message
look in the headers list (for file name in the Exchange database) and for
message encoding.
In my wrong-looking message
http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x3fde0003 value is 20866 (KOI8-R
encoding, it's ok)
but http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x3ffd0003 value is 1251
(Windows-1251 encoding, wrong!). It seems, that when news
server stores message in public folder it wrongly marks it's text as
win-1251 encoded.
When I try to change wrong property value using WSSExplorer it says "you
can't perform
action on selected item". I created the event sink that catched asynchronous
"save" message
and changed field value of the new message to the correct one. It helped
just a little. First message corrected looks ok, but next ones are broken at
all. Their http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x3fde0003 values were
changed to 20127 (US-ASCII). But I didn't change them!

Does someone had the similar problem? Could give me any advice?

Thanks,
Artyom

1. Encoding problem when storing newsgroups in public folders

[...]

2. Has anyone tried this?

3. Send limit applying to incoming AND outgoing mail

4. Problem, the mailbox store and public folder store cannot be mounted

5. Exchange 5.5 SP2 English ver to support Japanese Characters

6. funny problem: newsgroups in public folders

7. Folder index cache

8. Strage Security problem with Exchange Internet NewsGroup Public Folders

9. Problems with Internet Newsgroups Public folder

10. Internet Newsgroups Public folder problem

11. Problem matching public folders with newsgroup feed.

12. Problems using the pickup folder with TNEF encoded messages