SMTP Deliver Delay solved...

Post by Joe Grove » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Thanks to anyone who spent any personal CPU time on my question.  The
problem has apparently been identified and I will provide the solution here
in case anyone has this problem in the future:

As a recap, there were many domains that we were unable to deliver mail to.
We would get  Delay Notification messages after the default 12 hours, and
after 2 days receive a failure notice.  Most domains we had no problem with,
just a few, and they were all on different networks, using different mail
server software, etc.,.

On our E2K server there was the Default SMTP Virtual Server as well as
another virtual server created for our email purposes (because--thinking
with IIS logic--we didn't want to mess around with the default service).

In our smtp connector under Routing Groups we had both SMTP Virtual Servers
listed under Local Bridgeheads.  By removing the manually created virtual
server and telling our smtp connector to only go out through the Default
SMTP Virtual Server, and copying the messages from the VS2 folder to the VS1
folder, the queued messages were sent out just dandy and we've so far had no
further problems.

Joe Grover
ACD.net

SMTP Deliver Delay solved...

Post by jerr » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 05:23:34

Hi, Joe

I have the same problem and very happy to hear you'v got a solution. But my
situation is a bit different. First of all I am using the default SMTP
virtual server, secondly I did not configure SMTP connector, the reason is
based on MS's online help statement: "Routing group configuration becomes
necessary only when you need to connect two or more routing groups or when
you install connectors to foreign messaging systems in your Exchange
installation." Do you mean it's abosulately necessary to have SMTP connector
configured and not use the default SMTP virtual server? Your further
explanations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

Quote:> Thanks to anyone who spent any personal CPU time on my question.  The
> problem has apparently been identified and I will provide the solution
here
> in case anyone has this problem in the future:

> As a recap, there were many domains that we were unable to deliver mail
to.
> We would get  Delay Notification messages after the default 12 hours, and
> after 2 days receive a failure notice.  Most domains we had no problem
with,
> just a few, and they were all on different networks, using different mail
> server software, etc.,.

> On our E2K server there was the Default SMTP Virtual Server as well as
> another virtual server created for our email purposes (because--thinking
> with IIS logic--we didn't want to mess around with the default service).

> In our smtp connector under Routing Groups we had both SMTP Virtual
Servers
> listed under Local Bridgeheads.  By removing the manually created virtual
> server and telling our smtp connector to only go out through the Default
> SMTP Virtual Server, and copying the messages from the VS2 folder to the
VS1
> folder, the queued messages were sent out just dandy and we've so far had
no
> further problems.

> Joe Grover
> ACD.net

SMTP Deliver Delay solved...

Post by Sean Dave » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I am having a similar problem to the one described below (I think).  I set
up E2K with all the default settings and yet can not send messages to a
specific external server (using different email server software).  I can

one server.  The status of the delivery reads as "the remote server did not
respond to the connection attempt".  I have tried sending to this server
using different, non-E2K accounts with no problem.  Any ideas?

> Hi, Joe

> I have the same problem and very happy to hear you'v got a solution. But
my
> situation is a bit different. First of all I am using the default SMTP
> virtual server, secondly I did not configure SMTP connector, the reason is
> based on MS's online help statement: "Routing group configuration becomes
> necessary only when you need to connect two or more routing groups or when
> you install connectors to foreign messaging systems in your Exchange
> installation." Do you mean it's abosulately necessary to have SMTP
connector
> configured and not use the default SMTP virtual server? Your further
> explanations will be highly appreciated.

> Thanks
> Jerry

> > Thanks to anyone who spent any personal CPU time on my question.  The
> > problem has apparently been identified and I will provide the solution
> here
> > in case anyone has this problem in the future:

> > As a recap, there were many domains that we were unable to deliver mail
> to.
> > We would get  Delay Notification messages after the default 12 hours,
and
> > after 2 days receive a failure notice.  Most domains we had no problem
> with,
> > just a few, and they were all on different networks, using different
mail
> > server software, etc.,.

> > On our E2K server there was the Default SMTP Virtual Server as well as
> > another virtual server created for our email purposes (because--thinking
> > with IIS logic--we didn't want to mess around with the default service).

> > In our smtp connector under Routing Groups we had both SMTP Virtual
> Servers
> > listed under Local Bridgeheads.  By removing the manually created
virtual
> > server and telling our smtp connector to only go out through the Default
> > SMTP Virtual Server, and copying the messages from the VS2 folder to the
> VS1
> > folder, the queued messages were sent out just dandy and we've so far
had
> no
> > further problems.

> > Joe Grover
> > ACD.net

SMTP Deliver Delay solved...

Post by Sean Dave » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I figured out what the problem was, as described in another post in this
group.  By deleting the outside SMTP DNS servers, forcing the server to use
the standard TCP/IP stack, I had no further problems.

> [...]

> mail
> > > server software, etc.,.

> > > On our E2K server there was the Default SMTP Virtual Server as well as
> > > another virtual server created for our email purposes
(because--thinking
> > > with IIS logic--we didn't want to mess around with the default
service).

> > > In our smtp connector under Routing Groups we had both SMTP Virtual
> > Servers
> > > listed under Local Bridgeheads.  By removing the manually created
> virtual
> > > server and telling our smtp connector to only go out through the
> > > SMTP Virtual Server, and copying the messages from the VS2 folder to
the
> > VS1
> > > folder, the queued messages were sent out just dandy and we've so far

1. Delay in sending / delivering e-mail

I'm currently running a mixed environment Exchange 5.5 &
Exchange 2000. The clients on the Exchange 2000 side are
experiencing delays of up to a minute and a half from
clicking "Send" on their Outlook 2000 clients and the e-
mail actually disappearing from their screen. There is
also a intermittent delay when pulling up the Global
Address list.

Technet & the KB hasn't been much help on this issue.

2. server side rule

3. Intermittent E-mail Delays Delivering to Exchange Inbox

4. Is the size of our Public Folder Hierachy excessive?

5. Delayed Mail delivering at wrong time

6. Exchange Backup Server

7. Delay using Deliver Now

8. Ntbackup - Exchange

9. Intermittent Delays and Could Not Delivers..

10. Need Help solving SMTP Problem sending out mail

11. SOLVED: Messages get stuck in Queue folder with smtp service

12. How do I solve SMTP error 5.3.3 Unrecognize command