receiving some emails but not others

Post by Richard Cheun » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:03:08

Hi all

I have a new installation of Small Business Server 2000 up and running with
Exchange 2000 and ISA server.  I have no problems receiving or sending
emails - except I have just noticed that the network seem to be receiving
SOME emails but not others... these seem to not be message-size related or
anything... the reason why we have noticed this is that our email volume
seems to have dropped, and then we started receiving phone calls from people
saying why havent we responded to these emails and so on.... all of a sudden
today we received a few emails which were sent on 31st August 2001... does
anyone have any ideas at all about this?? We have received lots of other
emails without problems... I have checked our DNS settings and they seem to
be fine as well.  Its just plain odd!!

Regards
Richard

receiving some emails but not others

Post by Rafael Gonzale » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 16:07:34

Richard
I have the same problem right now. I have being investigating this and so
far I think is an issue in DNS but I can not point to what it is yet. I have
WIN2K Server and Exchange 2000 SP1

When I look to the Virtual SMTP server and I check the current connections I
see some servers IP but not their name. I did a test with a Company that we
are not able to receive emails from and I can see the IP address of their
server connecting to ours but I don't see their name.

If you find anything please, email me.

Thanks

Aultman Health Foundation
NT Administrator

Quote:

> Hi all

> I have a new installation of Small Business Server 2000 up and running
with
> Exchange 2000 and ISA server.  I have no problems receiving or sending
> emails - except I have just noticed that the network seem to be receiving
> SOME emails but not others... these seem to not be message-size related or
> anything... the reason why we have noticed this is that our email volume
> seems to have dropped, and then we started receiving phone calls from
people
> saying why havent we responded to these emails and so on.... all of a
sudden
> today we received a few emails which were sent on 31st August 2001... does
> anyone have any ideas at all about this?? We have received lots of other
> emails without problems... I have checked our DNS settings and they seem
> be fine as well.  Its just plain odd!!

> Regards
> Richard

receiving some emails but not others

Post by Keit » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 10:00:13

Hi all,

We also have the same exact problem.  I don't know what
the hell it is!!  We send/receive tons of emails ok but
usually once a month we will have a situation where we
don't receive an email from a certain compnay.  I know for
a fact it is not DNS.  IF it was a DNS issue, no emails at
all would go through.  I'm starting to think that it is a
bug in Exchange 2000.  I'm ready to convert to Sun servers
and toss this crap!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Richard
>I have the same problem right now. I have being

investigating this and so
Quote:>far I think is an issue in DNS but I can not point to

what it is yet. I have
Quote:>WIN2K Server and Exchange 2000 SP1

>When I look to the Virtual SMTP server and I check the

current connections I
>see some servers IP but not their name. I did a test with
a Company that we
>are not able to receive emails from and I can see the IP
address of their
>server connecting to ours but I don't see their name.

>If you find anything please, email me.

>Thanks

>Aultman Health Foundation
>NT Administrator

message

>> Hi all

>> I have a new installation of Small Business Server 2000
up and running
>with
>> Exchange 2000 and ISA server.  I have no problems

receiving or sending
Quote:>> emails - except I have just noticed that the network

seem to be receiving
Quote:>> SOME emails but not others... these seem to not be

message-size related or
Quote:>> anything... the reason why we have noticed this is that
our email volume
>> seems to have dropped, and then we started receiving
phone calls from
>people
>> saying why havent we responded to these emails and so
on.... all of a
>sudden
>> today we received a few emails which were sent on 31st
August 2001... does
>> anyone have any ideas at all about this?? We have

received lots of other
Quote:>> emails without problems... I have checked our DNS

settings and they seem

Quote:>to
>> be fine as well.  Its just plain odd!!

>> Regards
>> Richard

>.

receiving some emails but not others

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:21:15

Quote:>Hi all,

>We also have the same exact problem.  I don't know what
>the hell it is!!  We send/receive tons of emails ok but
>usually once a month we will have a situation where we
>don't receive an email from a certain compnay.  I know for
>a fact it is not DNS.  IF it was a DNS issue, no emails at
>all would go through.

That's not necessarily true, I've seen a number of odd DNS related
issues which resulted in a very small subset of domains having
delivery issues. Not that Exchange doesn't have it's problems, but
every delivery issue from a foreign mail system is not necessarily an
Exchange issue.

Chris
--
Chris Scharff
Senior Sales Engineer

Exchange FAQs: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm

receiving some emails but not others

Post by Justin Turne » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:34:24

I've posted something simular in the exchange2000.general newsgroup under
the heading "Major problem - some inbound messages disappear.......". My
problem sounds very simular. Exchange is receiving the messages (hence no
NDR's sent to the sender), but is losing them somewhere in processing (see
post). Have a go at message tracking & see if you get the same. Hopefully
I'll get some hints as to what's been happening. I agree though, my overall
experience with Exchange 2000 has not been good.

Justin

> >Hi all,

> >We also have the same exact problem.  I don't know what
> >the hell it is!!  We send/receive tons of emails ok but
> >usually once a month we will have a situation where we
> >don't receive an email from a certain compnay.  I know for
> >a fact it is not DNS.  IF it was a DNS issue, no emails at
> >all would go through.

> That's not necessarily true, I've seen a number of odd DNS related
> issues which resulted in a very small subset of domains having
> delivery issues. Not that Exchange doesn't have it's problems, but
> every delivery issue from a foreign mail system is not necessarily an
> Exchange issue.

> Chris
> --
> Chris Scharff
> Senior Sales Engineer
> MessageOne http://www.messageone.com
> If you can't measure, you can't manage!

> Exchange FAQs: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm

1. my exchange never receive emails sent by others

Dear Sir/Madam:
    Recently I just upgrade our office's Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000.
Everything is working fine except that if someone outside of our domain send
emails

name ),
we never received the emails.
For example, I tried to use my hotmail account to send to my account on the
new Exchange 2000

acount.
Strangely, my hotmail account never get any bounce emails nor any
nondelievery reports.
Those emails I sent through hotmail to my exchange 2000 seem all
disappear.....

But our remote employees located in other countries are able to use POP3 and
SMTP
services on the new Exhcange 2000, they can send emails to everywhere, even
they can send

So it seems that all SMTPs (except our own Exchange2000 SMTP) cannot send
emails to our domain email accounts..

Can you help me out on this?

Some facts about our network
We host our own public DNS for our MX record.
We are behind an ISA server, and I had published secure mail server.
The DNS is on the ISA ( and I had published the DNS query and DNS zone
transfer )

Thank you very much.

Wen

2. Outlook with Exchange Server and IMAP accounts

3. Receiving Others Email

4. Instant Messaging failed to connect to service

5. Trouble with receiving email ( not receiving )

6. error 1720

7. Exchange 5.5 Sending Internet Email to Some and Not Others

8. 911:Ex2k WorkFlow Designer

9. Not Returned -- Not receiving all email problem!

10. can send email but can not receive email

11. ERTN does not send emails when there are emails to receive

12. Not Returned -- Not receiving all email problem!

13. Not receiving email at 2nd Internet email address specified for user