DNS and Exch 2k

Post by Frank Durha » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 00:32:15

Question for the board..

I have an exchange 2k server in the DMZ that needs to communicate with
servers in the internal/protected network.  This server is part of a
Front-End/Bac-End topology.  According to the article "Microsoft Exchange
2000 Server Front-End and Back-End"  The problem I am having is the exch2k
server finding and getting access to the DC's and GC's.  I am using a PIX
Firewall and opened up the necessary ports as well, but when the Exch2k
queries the DNS inside, it returns an internal address to the exch2k server
and the exch2k does not know how to handle that IP since everything is
NATed.  My question, is it not recommended to put a DNS server on the exch2k
box and just have the NATed IP addresses on it for this specific purpose?

Frank

DNS and Exch 2k

Post by Ed Woodric » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 12:06:56

Move the machine into the network and you'll be much happier and probably
more secure.

Quote:> Question for the board..

> I have an exchange 2k server in the DMZ that needs to communicate with
> servers in the internal/protected network.  This server is part of a
> Front-End/Bac-End topology.  According to the article "Microsoft Exchange
> 2000 Server Front-End and Back-End"  The problem I am having is the exch2k
> server finding and getting access to the DC's and GC's.  I am using a PIX
> Firewall and opened up the necessary ports as well, but when the Exch2k
> queries the DNS inside, it returns an internal address to the exch2k
server
> and the exch2k does not know how to handle that IP since everything is
> NATed.  My question, is it not recommended to put a DNS server on the
exch2k
> box and just have the NATed IP addresses on it for this specific purpose?

> Frank

DNS and Exch 2k

Post by Frank Durha » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 22:10:44

Ed-

Can't do that.. That is the purpose of a Front-End and Back End setup.  The
Front End sits in the DMZ, while the Back End sits internal.

Frank

> Move the machine into the network and you'll be much happier and probably
> more secure.

> > Question for the board..

> > I have an exchange 2k server in the DMZ that needs to communicate with
> > servers in the internal/protected network.  This server is part of a
> > Front-End/Bac-End topology.  According to the article "Microsoft
Exchange
> > 2000 Server Front-End and Back-End"  The problem I am having is the
exch2k
> > server finding and getting access to the DC's and GC's.  I am using a
PIX
> > Firewall and opened up the necessary ports as well, but when the Exch2k
> > queries the DNS inside, it returns an internal address to the exch2k
> server
> > and the exch2k does not know how to handle that IP since everything is
> > NATed.  My question, is it not recommended to put a DNS server on the
> exch2k
> > box and just have the NATed IP addresses on it for this specific
purpose?

> > Frank

DNS and Exch 2k

Post by Steel » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:25:43

If you're only trying to get one address, what about just using a HOST file?

--
IP, Therefore I Am

Quote:> Question for the board..

> I have an exchange 2k server in the DMZ that needs to communicate with
> servers in the internal/protected network.  This server is part of a
> Front-End/Bac-End topology.  According to the article "Microsoft Exchange
> 2000 Server Front-End and Back-End"  The problem I am having is the exch2k
> server finding and getting access to the DC's and GC's.  I am using a PIX
> Firewall and opened up the necessary ports as well, but when the Exch2k
> queries the DNS inside, it returns an internal address to the exch2k
server
> and the exch2k does not know how to handle that IP since everything is
> NATed.  My question, is it not recommended to put a DNS server on the
exch2k
> box and just have the NATed IP addresses on it for this specific purpose?

> Frank

DNS and Exch 2k

Post by Mixa » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:42:52

Frank,

I am interested in learning how you do setup your exchange
box the way you describe. This is the most secure way but
i've done a lot of reading but no one shows how it's been
done. "Building Internet Firewall" talks putting your WEB,
DNS, and Mail to DMZ but it doesn't touch base on how to
do it. For Exchange2k, the DMZ needs to be AD since Exch2k
requires AD. If you find more info, please let me know and
vise versa.

Thanks,
Mixa

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Question for the board..

>I have an exchange 2k server in the DMZ that needs to
communicate with
>servers in the internal/protected network.  This server
is part of a
>Front-End/Bac-End topology.  According to the

article "Microsoft Exchange
Quote:>2000 Server Front-End and Back-End"  The problem I am

having is the exch2k
Quote:>server finding and getting access to the DC's and GC's.
I am using a PIX
>Firewall and opened up the necessary ports as well, but
when the Exch2k
>queries the DNS inside, it returns an internal address to
the exch2k server
>and the exch2k does not know how to handle that IP since
everything is
>NATed.  My question, is it not recommended to put a DNS

server on the exch2k
Quote:>box and just have the NATed IP addresses on it for this
specific purpose?

>Frank

>.

1. DNS and Exch 2k

Question for the board..

I have an exchange 2k server in the DMZ that needs to communicate with
servers in the internal/protected network.  This server is part of a
Front-End/Bac-End topology.  According to the article "Microsoft Exchange
2000 Server Front-End and Back-End"  The problem I am having is the exch2k
server finding and getting access to the DC's and GC's.  I am using a PIX
Firewall and opened up the necessary ports as well, but when the Exch2k
queries the DNS inside, it returns an internal address to the exch2k server
and the exch2k does not know how to handle that IP since everything is
NATed.  My question, is it not recommended to put a DNS server on the exch2k
box and just have the NATed IP addresses on it for this specific purpose?

Frank

2. Exchange event registration error (Urgent)

3. DNS and AD stop working after Exch 2K install

4. Upgrade 5.5 standard to enterprise OWA

5. Migrate Exch 2K -> Exch 2K Cluter

6. Key Management Server

7. migrating Exch 2K mailboxes to a different Exch 2K

8. Exchange problems after an offline restore

9. Upgrade from NT 4.0, Exch 5.0 to Win 2K and Exch 2K

10. Migrate Exch 5.5 to Exch 2k

11. Win NT 4.0 / Exch 5.5 TO Win2k AD / Exch 2k Cluster

12. Upgrading/Migreting from Exch 5.5 to Exch 2K

13. Exch 5.5 to Exch 2K