Connecting through firewall

Post by Tom » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 02:24:03

I am trying to connect to my Exchange 2000 server with an
Outlook XP client through my firewall (which I have
assisgned a 1-to-1 NAT mapping from source to
destination).

I am able to connect but cannot authenticate with the
server - "Your login information was incorrect. Check
your username and domain, then type your password
again..."

I am able to connect without any problems from within the
firewall and I know that I am using the correct username
and password, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Connecting through firewall

Post by Lanwenc » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 02:52:16

You haven't opened up the right ports, I'd suspect. Note that you don't want
to open up the right ports, either, if this is from the Internet... use VPN
in that case.

Quote:> I am trying to connect to my Exchange 2000 server with an
> Outlook XP client through my firewall (which I have
> assisgned a 1-to-1 NAT mapping from source to
> destination).

> I am able to connect but cannot authenticate with the
> server - "Your login information was incorrect. Check
> your username and domain, then type your password
> again..."

> I am able to connect without any problems from within the
> firewall and I know that I am using the correct username
> and password, etc.

> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Tom

Connecting through firewall

Post by Damon Christopher Jackso » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 10:30:39

I am also getting the same results.  I do understand your
suggestion to using VPN instead.  In the meantime, can you
point us in the right direction to open the correct ports?
Thanks for the help.

Post by Michael Steine » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 17:35:11

Are you guys using a PIX firewall by chance running with
fixup?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I am trying to connect to my Exchange 2000 server with an
>Outlook XP client through my firewall (which I have
>assisgned a 1-to-1 NAT mapping from source to
>destination).

>I am able to connect but cannot authenticate with the
>server - "Your login information was incorrect. Check
>your username and domain, then type your password
>again..."

>I am able to connect without any problems from within the
>firewall and I know that I am using the correct username
>and password, etc.

>Any thoughts would be appreciated.

>Thanks
>Tom

>.

Connecting through firewall

Post by Lanwenc » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:02:54

See Q289241 for a complete list - I think it's 137-139, NetBIOS,
particularly. I don't know for sure because I wouldn't dream of opening
these up.

> I am also getting the same results.  I do understand your
> suggestion to using VPN instead.  In the meantime, can you
> point us in the right direction to open the correct ports?
> Thanks for the help.

Post by Damon Christopher Jackso » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:06:12

I appreciate your generosity for the information.  I don't
think I will allow this configuration to remain for a very
long time.  Since you mentioned connection via VPN, do you
have a wonderful source on how to setup VPN between
Windows2000 Pro & Server?  This will probably be the final
solution for my remote users.
Again, Thanks

Post by Lanwenc » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:19:53

No problem -
To set up PPTP VPN in Win2k server: Q308208

Personally, I prefer setting up VPN through the firewall, and not the server
itself - would rather not let people get all the way to the server until
they've been 'cleared'. I don't know what kind of firewall you have, but for
small offices with somewhat limited budgets, I've been pleased with the
SonicWall devices. They're easy to configure (although not as granular as
higher-end firewalls) and offer IPSEC VPN through a proprietary client - see
www.sonicwall.com .

...& to add one more schoolmarmish note, it only takes a few minutes for
someone to mess with your network, so be careful what you open up in the
meantime. Remember that few people will want your data; they just want to
see what they can*up. The biped equivalent of urinating on a lamppost,
I suppose... <sigh>

> I appreciate your generosity for the information.  I don't
> think I will allow this configuration to remain for a very
> long time.  Since you mentioned connection via VPN, do you
> have a wonderful source on how to setup VPN between
> Windows2000 Pro & Server?  This will probably be the final
> solution for my remote users.
> Again, Thanks

Post by Damon Christopher Jackso » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:24:58

I couldn't agree with you more.  I was originally testing
Internet access for Native Outlook users.  But my longterm
was always going to be VPN.  I have to setup VPN for
Windows2000 clients on the go, and also VPN IPSec for
firewall/routers from one site to another.  It will be
time consuming, but it's all worth the effort.  I'll let
you know if I need more advise.

Thanks for the guidance.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>No problem -
>To set up PPTP VPN in Win2k server: Q308208

>Personally, I prefer setting up VPN through the firewall,
and not the server
>itself - would rather not let people get all the way to
the server until
>they've been 'cleared'. I don't know what kind of

firewall you have, but for
Quote:>small offices with somewhat limited budgets, I've been

Quote:>www.sonicwall.com .