SMTP for outbound mail

Post by Stef Van Hemele » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 20:30:04

Dear all,

I want to migrate my (home/test) network from NT4, exchange 5.5 to Win2K and
E2K.
In my NT4 config, I setup the IMC to connect using my ADSL connection to
send the outbound mail.
Inbound mail is not handled by IMC, because I don't have a fixed IP address,
but using outlook and some rules, all goes well.
Now I want to get into E2K, so I have been doing some test.
Internal mail is no prob, but external is allways undeliverable.
Checking out some newsgroups and sites, I allready set up my ADSL connection
for autodial.
In the First Routing Group container, under connect I set up a new smtp
connector.
In the general tab, under "forward all mail through...", I set the smtp
address of my isp.  For the local Bridghead server, I added my own server.
Don't I have to tell E2K somewhere to use my newly setup smtp connector to
be used for outbound mail or something?
Tnx for all tips.
Stef.

SMTP for outbound mail

Post by Thierry DEMORR » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:14:07

you "tell" E2K to use this smtp connector by the value you put in the
address space tab.
If you enter an address space of (SMTP,*) then E2K will use it to route any
smtp mail that match this rule, this mean all smtp mails.
If you want to be more restrictive, you can filter the address space to fit

someone at microsoft.com to use this connector).

HTH

Thierry DEMORRE

Quote:> Dear all,

> I want to migrate my (home/test) network from NT4, exchange 5.5 to Win2K
and
> E2K.
> In my NT4 config, I setup the IMC to connect using my ADSL connection to
> send the outbound mail.
> Inbound mail is not handled by IMC, because I don't have a fixed IP
address,
> but using outlook and some rules, all goes well.
> Now I want to get into E2K, so I have been doing some test.
> Internal mail is no prob, but external is allways undeliverable.
> Checking out some newsgroups and sites, I allready set up my ADSL
connection
> for autodial.
> In the First Routing Group container, under connect I set up a new smtp
> connector.
> In the general tab, under "forward all mail through...", I set the smtp
> address of my isp.  For the local Bridghead server, I added my own server.
> Don't I have to tell E2K somewhere to use my newly setup smtp connector to
> be used for outbound mail or something?
> Tnx for all tips.
> Stef.

SMTP for outbound mail

Post by Rick Danie » Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:33:26

I have exactly this same issue. Mail from 5.5 worked fine outbound for 3
years for an office of 30 people.  We updated to W2k and E2K with the
identical configuration for SMTP and can no longer send outbound mail.  You
are not alone and I have struggled for 3 days without success.

Quote:> Dear all,

> I want to migrate my (home/test) network from NT4, exchange 5.5 to Win2K
and
> E2K.
> In my NT4 config, I setup the IMC to connect using my ADSL connection to
> send the outbound mail.
> Inbound mail is not handled by IMC, because I don't have a fixed IP
address,
> but using outlook and some rules, all goes well.
> Now I want to get into E2K, so I have been doing some test.
> Internal mail is no prob, but external is allways undeliverable.
> Checking out some newsgroups and sites, I allready set up my ADSL
connection
> for autodial.
> In the First Routing Group container, under connect I set up a new smtp
> connector.
> In the general tab, under "forward all mail through...", I set the smtp
> address of my isp.  For the local Bridghead server, I added my own server.
> Don't I have to tell E2K somewhere to use my newly setup smtp connector to
> be used for outbound mail or something?
> Tnx for all tips.
> Stef.

SMTP for outbound mail

Post by Thomas Colson, MCP, Senior Network Administrato » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 10:00:47

If you email me tomorrow, I have a suggestion to fix. I had the same
problem, and am going to share the fix (with screen shots) with a few people
tomorrow who are alos having the same problem

> I have exactly this same issue. Mail from 5.5 worked fine outbound for 3
> years for an office of 30 people.  We updated to W2k and E2K with the
> identical configuration for SMTP and can no longer send outbound mail.
You
> are not alone and I have struggled for 3 days without success.

> > Dear all,

> > I want to migrate my (home/test) network from NT4, exchange 5.5 to Win2K
> and
> > E2K.
> > In my NT4 config, I setup the IMC to connect using my ADSL connection to
> > send the outbound mail.
> > Inbound mail is not handled by IMC, because I don't have a fixed IP
> address,
> > but using outlook and some rules, all goes well.
> > Now I want to get into E2K, so I have been doing some test.
> > Internal mail is no prob, but external is allways undeliverable.
> > Checking out some newsgroups and sites, I allready set up my ADSL
> connection
> > for autodial.
> > In the First Routing Group container, under connect I set up a new smtp
> > connector.
> > In the general tab, under "forward all mail through...", I set the smtp
> > address of my isp.  For the local Bridghead server, I added my own
server.
> > Don't I have to tell E2K somewhere to use my newly setup smtp connector
> > be used for outbound mail or something?
> > Tnx for all tips.
> > Stef.

SMTP for outbound mail

Post by Tyrel van Nieker » Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:42:16

I am having the same problem, so if someone has the solution, please let me
know.

I am not sure, but my problem may be more serious, I don't know enough yet.
I have a little server that I use to learn how this all works and have
registered a domain that I point to my DNS server. This part seems to work
fine. I have Exchange 2000 installed and can recieve mail, but not send. I
get the message that the receipient was "rejected by the server. Unable to
relay for <external e-mail>". I am not sure if this is part of the problem,
but my server is on my internal network and has one of those 192.168.1.*
addresses (LinkSys Router) with the router set to forward the relevant ports
to it. I have the SMTP virtual server set up as well as I can understand it
(and that is not saying much), but don't have a business type connection,
just a single IP with the usual home use SMTP servers etc. from my ISP.

Thanks for any help ;-)

> If you email me tomorrow, I have a suggestion to fix. I had the same
> problem, and am going to share the fix (with screen shots) with a few
people
> tomorrow who are alos having the same problem

> > I have exactly this same issue. Mail from 5.5 worked fine outbound for 3
> > years for an office of 30 people.  We updated to W2k and E2K with the
> > identical configuration for SMTP and can no longer send outbound mail.
> You
> > are not alone and I have struggled for 3 days without success.

> > > Dear all,

> > > I want to migrate my (home/test) network from NT4, exchange 5.5 to
Win2K
> > and
> > > E2K.
> > > In my NT4 config, I setup the IMC to connect using my ADSL connection
> > > send the outbound mail.
> > > Inbound mail is not handled by IMC, because I don't have a fixed IP
> > address,
> > > but using outlook and some rules, all goes well.
> > > Now I want to get into E2K, so I have been doing some test.
> > > Internal mail is no prob, but external is allways undeliverable.
> > > Checking out some newsgroups and sites, I allready set up my ADSL
> > connection
> > > for autodial.
> > > In the First Routing Group container, under connect I set up a new
smtp
> > > connector.
> > > In the general tab, under "forward all mail through...", I set the
smtp
> > > address of my isp.  For the local Bridghead server, I added my own
> server.
> > > Don't I have to tell E2K somewhere to use my newly setup smtp
connector
> > > be used for outbound mail or something?
> > > Tnx for all tips.
> > > Stef.

SMTP for outbound mail

Post by Elaine Suppe » Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:00:27

Make sure your DNS is working properly. If you have installed the Win2K DNS
service; by default the server is set up as a root server. A dot or root zone is
created therefore any DNS requests will not be forwarded to the Internet to be
resolved.  Delete the root zone and configure the forwarders tab.  This does not
happen in NT 4. You can also run the dcdiag program to verify if Active
Directory and DNS are working properly. Also run nslookup in an internet
address.

> I am having the same problem, so if someone has the solution, please let me
> know.

> I am not sure, but my problem may be more serious, I don't know enough yet.
> I have a little server that I use to learn how this all works and have
> registered a domain that I point to my DNS server. This part seems to work
> fine. I have Exchange 2000 installed and can recieve mail, but not send. I
> get the message that the receipient was "rejected by the server. Unable to
> relay for <external e-mail>". I am not sure if this is part of the problem,
> but my server is on my internal network and has one of those 192.168.1.*
> addresses (LinkSys Router) with the router set to forward the relevant ports
> to it. I have the SMTP virtual server set up as well as I can understand it
> (and that is not saying much), but don't have a business type connection,
> just a single IP with the usual home use SMTP servers etc. from my ISP.

> Thanks for any help ;-)

> > If you email me tomorrow, I have a suggestion to fix. I had the same
> > problem, and am going to share the fix (with screen shots) with a few
> people
> > tomorrow who are alos having the same problem

> > > I have exactly this same issue. Mail from 5.5 worked fine outbound for 3
> > > years for an office of 30 people.  We updated to W2k and E2K with the
> > > identical configuration for SMTP and can no longer send outbound mail.
> > You
> > > are not alone and I have struggled for 3 days without success.

> Win2K
> > > and
> > > address,
> > > connection
> smtp
> smtp
> > server.
> connector

1. SMTP for outbound mail

[...]

2. E Mail Problem

3. Internet Mail Service and Outbound SMTP mail

4. How do I give a user permissions to update entries on a global distribution list?

5. Routing smtp outbound mail to internet mail service server

6. Can I keep mailbox store and Public store in different server shared directory?

7. SMTP attempting to send outbound mail to web server, not mail server

8. synchronization problem

9. Need to route outbound SMTP mail based on subject line

10. No outbound SMTP mail, 4.4.6 NDR code

11. SMTP mail and outbound DNS

12. User cannot send outbound smtp mail to certain companies

13. SMTP Connector - no outbound mail