Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Emma » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:47:34

We have set up Exchange 2000 Server as our company's SMTP
MX. I have a static IP address, and have registered the
company's domain name at at an America componey. Our
company is located in a univercity, and our connection to
the internet is though a web gate at the school's network
center. I can send letters to either inside the school or
outside the school, and can receive letters from inside
the school with no problem, but I can not receive letters
from MXs outside the school. masseges feedback says that
they can not establish a SMTP connection with our Exchange
Server.
Can anyone help me ?

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Mark Fugat » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:22:23

Emma

What happens when you try to telnet to port 25 of your Exchange server from
the Internet?

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:> We have set up Exchange 2000 Server as our company's SMTP
> MX. I have a static IP address, and have registered the
> company's domain name at at an America componey. Our
> company is located in a univercity, and our connection to
> the internet is though a web gate at the school's network
> center. I can send letters to either inside the school or
> outside the school, and can receive letters from inside
> the school with no problem, but I can not receive letters
> from MXs outside the school. masseges feedback says that
> they can not establish a SMTP connection with our Exchange
> Server.
> Can anyone help me ?

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Emma » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:32:26

from inside my company, yes. from the school's network
center,no. why? Is there any relationship with my
firewall? We use a Trend product named Server Protect.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Emma

>What happens when you try to telnet to port 25 of your

Exchange server from
>the Internet?

>--
>Mark Fugatt
>Pentech Office Solutions Inc
>www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
>Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on
Microsoft Exchange

>--- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via
Email ---

>> We have set up Exchange 2000 Server as our company's
SMTP
>> MX. I have a static IP address, and have registered the
>> company's domain name at at an America componey. Our
>> company is located in a univercity, and our connection
>> the internet is though a web gate at the school's
network
>> center. I can send letters to either inside the school
or
>> outside the school, and can receive letters from inside
>> the school with no problem, but I can not receive
letters
>> from MXs outside the school. masseges feedback says that
>> they can not establish a SMTP connection with our
Exchange
>> Server.
>> Can anyone help me ?

>.

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Mark Fugat » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:46:14

Yes there is a relationship, in order for an external server to be able to
communicate with your Exchange server it needs to establish a connection on
port 25 with your server, if you cannot telnet to port 25 of your Exchange
server from outside of your network then it would point to a problem with
the Firewall.

--
Mark Fugatt

> from inside my company, yes. from the school's network
> center,no. why? Is there any relationship with my
> firewall? We use a Trend product named Server Protect.

Post by Emma » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:30:06

Excuse me, can you tell me whether the fact that my
exchange server can reveive letters from inside the
network  can  sufficiently indicate that the Exchange SMTP
has been correctly configed(see, I never set any filters),
and any causes that make me not able to get letters from
outside the network is due to something else? Thank you.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Yes there is a relationship, in order for an external

server to be able to
Quote:>communicate with your Exchange server it needs to

establish a connection on
>port 25 with your server, if you cannot telnet to port 25
of your Exchange
>server from outside of your network then it would point
to a problem with
>the Firewall.

>--
>Mark Fugatt

>> from inside my company, yes. from the school's network
>> center,no. why? Is there any relationship with my
>> firewall? We use a Trend product named Server Protect.

Post by Mark Fugat » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:23:39

Hi Emma

Here is an article I would suggest you read, it explains how to configure
Exchange 2000 to send and receive email from the Internet.
http://www.msexchange.org/pages/articles.asp?art=612

Please post any specific errors you receive when trying to send email from
the Internet to your server.

--
Mark Fugatt

> Excuse me, can you tell me whether the fact that my
> exchange server can reveive letters from inside the
> network  can  sufficiently indicate that the Exchange SMTP
> has been correctly configed(see, I never set any filters),
> and any causes that make me not able to get letters from
> outside the network is due to something else? Thank you.

Post by Emma » Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:13:40

Mr.Fugatt:
   Thank you very much for taking so much trouble helping
me. I read that paper and got an much better
understanding. Now it is very strang that indeed I can get
letters from internet, but only from some certain websits,
for example, I can receive letters from Mail.etang.com
(61.152.250.211), but I can get letters from mail.263.net
(211.157.130.135). Can you give some explain?

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Mark Fugat » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:36:28

Hi Emma

Sorry I cannot give you an explanation of this, if you email me directly
with your email address I can test it from my end and post the results back
to this group.

p.s. please don't call me Mr Fugatt it makes be seem very old :-)

--
Mark Fugatt

Quote:> Mr.Fugatt:
>    Thank you very much for taking so much trouble helping
> me. I read that paper and got an much better
> understanding. Now it is very strang that indeed I can get
> letters from internet, but only from some certain websits,
> for example, I can receive letters from Mail.etang.com
> (61.152.250.211), but I can get letters from mail.263.net
> (211.157.130.135). Can you give some explain?

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Ron » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 05:15:38

Hi Emma,

I had simular problems I think. In my case it had something to do with the
maxMTU value of my router.
After replacing this router all problems were gone.

Ron T

> Hi Emma

> Sorry I cannot give you an explanation of this, if you email me directly
> with your email address I can test it from my end and post the results
back
> to this group.

> p.s. please don't call me Mr Fugatt it makes be seem very old :-)

> --
> Mark Fugatt

> > Mr.Fugatt:
> >    Thank you very much for taking so much trouble helping
> > me. I read that paper and got an much better
> > understanding. Now it is very strang that indeed I can get
> > letters from internet, but only from some certain websits,
> > for example, I can receive letters from Mail.etang.com
> > (61.152.250.211), but I can get letters from mail.263.net
> > (211.157.130.135). Can you give some explain?

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Emma » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:18:28

Hi, Mark, I viewed the SMTP record and become really
e*d. Now I know from those records I can see clearly
how the DNS server helps my SMTP MX to find a valid MX for
the destination, how they get connected(even with polite
Hello!),how they transfer data, and then say bye to each
other. Each step can be watched clearly. So I think if I
give my E-mail address to you,maybe you can send a mail to
me and watch the whole process to see when and where the
problem appear, if you can watch your SMTP progress,of
course:-)

Thank you!
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Emma

>Sorry I cannot give you an explanation of this, if you
email me directly
>with your email address I can test it from my end and

post the results back
>to this group.

>p.s. please don't call me Mr Fugatt it makes be seem very
old :-)

>--
>Mark Fugatt

>> Mr.Fugatt:
>>    Thank you very much for taking so much trouble
helping
>> me. I read that paper and got an much better
>> understanding. Now it is very strang that indeed I can
get
>> letters from internet, but only from some certain
websits,
>> for example, I can receive letters from Mail.etang.com
>> (61.152.250.211), but I can get letters from
mail.263.net
>> (211.157.130.135). Can you give some explain?

>.

Cannot receive letters from internet

Post by Mark Fugat » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:45:21

Hi Emma

It would appear that you do not have port 25 open.

I tried to establish a connection with the server specified in your MX
record on port 25 and it was unable to do so, I would say the problem is
with your Firewall and/or Router.

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc
www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com

> Hi, Mark, I viewed the SMTP record and become really
> e*d. Now I know from those records I can see clearly
> how the DNS server helps my SMTP MX to find a valid MX for
> the destination, how they get connected(even with polite
> Hello!),how they transfer data, and then say bye to each
> other. Each step can be watched clearly. So I think if I
> give my E-mail address to you,maybe you can send a mail to
> me and watch the whole process to see when and where the
> problem appear, if you can watch your SMTP progress,of
> course:-)

> Thank you!

Post by Emma » Thu, 05 Sep 2002 23:34:07

Hi,Mark,your message is very important to me!
Did you get a MX record for my SMTP server, I mean, you
could find an A MX record(What's this, by the way?),and
you got the IP address for the Mail.hiqtechnology.com, but
then you failed to connect with it, is it so?
Now I am using MDaemon to test the network connection,
Hear is the record when I receive l letter(I can receive
letter from this web-site only, it is strange.)
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] Accepting SMTP
connection from [61.152.250.218]
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] 220 hiqtechnology.com
ESMTP MDaemon 5.0.7 UNREGISTERED; Wed, 04 Sep 2002
22:26:53 +0800
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] EHLO webmta1.etang.com
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] 250-hiqtechnology.com
Hello webmta1.etang.com, pleased to meet you
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] 250-ETRN
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] 250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:53: [568:415] 250 SIZE 0
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:54: [568:415] MAIL FROM:<mou-

Sender ok
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:55: [568:415] RCPT

Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:55: [568:415] 250

Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:55: [568:415] DATA
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:55: [568:415] Storing <d:\progra~1
\mdaemon\smtpin\md50000000050.tmp>
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:55: [568:415] 354 Enter mail, end
with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: [568:415] 250 Ok, message saved
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: [568:415] QUIT
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: [568:415] 221 See ya in *space
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: [568:415] SMTP session
successful, 1639 bytes transferred.
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: [568:415] Shuffling message(s)
into proper queue(s)
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: ----------
Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: [568:415] Message received from

Wed 2002-09-04 22:26:56: ----------
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Emma

>It would appear that you do not have port 25 open.

>I tried to establish a connection with the server

specified in your MX
>record on port 25 and it was unable to do so, I would say
the problem is
>with your Firewall and/or Router.

>--
>Mark Fugatt
>Pentech Office Solutions Inc
>www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
>Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on
Microsoft Exchange

>--- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via
Email ---

>> Hi, Mark, I viewed the SMTP record and become really
>> e*d. Now I know from those records I can see clearly
>> how the DNS server helps my SMTP MX to find a valid MX
for
>> the destination, how they get connected(even with polite
>> Hello!),how they transfer data, and then say bye to each
>> other. Each step can be watched clearly. So I think if I
>> give my E-mail address to you,maybe you can send a mail
>> me and watch the whole process to see when and where the
>> problem appear, if you can watch your SMTP progress,of
>> course:-)

>> Thank you!

1. Can not receive letters from internet

Mr.Fugatt:
   Thank you very much for taking so much trouble helping
me. I read that paper and got an much better
understanding. Now it is very strang that indeed I can
get
letters from internet, but only from some certain
websits,
for example, I can receive letters from Mail.etang.com
(61.152.250.211), but I cannot get letters from
mail.263.net
(211.157.130.135). Can you give some explain?

.

2. Blocking exe files

3. Can send Internet E-mail through IMC, but cannot receive Internet E-mail

4. Exchange 5.5 Web Access Problem

5. Can change the Organization name in registry from small letter to capital letter

6. I can't install internet mail service

7. Cannot receive Internet mail

8. Open relay

9. Cannot send or receive internet mail

10. Cannot send or receive internet mail from Exchange Server 5.0

11. Only Cannot receive from Internet..!!

12. cannot receive from internet domain